calamityjane85

Dear Community

[ Edited ]

May 1 marks my one year anniversary joining BT, and it is with heavy heart I write this. BT has changed, and lots of friends have dropped out and stopped coming around because of negative changes. 

This is a chance to revive the love of BT that I had from the start. Regarding heart parties: They are a positive show of love and affection to another bt member and to have them booted to the netherlands is a slap in the face. No one has ever posted malicous or negative things in them, they are only to boost up the member.

Some have complained to the mods to have them moved.

This is a petition to have them reinstated on the main page.

If you agree then simply post a heart. If you feel so inclined then pm a mod.

If not keep on scrolling.  This is not a debate, just a petition

I want my OLD BT BACK!!!!!!!

P.s. 

I :heart: supergirl

love2shop42

Re: Dear Community

image.jpg

image.jpgThis forum lost its luster for me when I saw legitimate customer complaints being deleted and then the members were banned from posting. This banning nonsense has got to stop and a rule should be instituted that requires a warning first through a pm. I really don't quite get why Planty was banned, I mean "heart parties" are the most non-controversial posts you can make. Doesn't make sense at all!

DTalksAll

Wow, I guess I picked the wrong night to be too busy for BT? Wait... "too busy for BT"? A few months ago I would have never said those words. If I missed a day or weekend, I would scroll & scroll to try to read every thread to play catch up, but lately I rarely click "show more conversations". Now I can function without BT, I don't need BT to get me through  the day.

I do need the ladies I've met on here though. Thankfully Instagram, Twitter... lets me keep in touch with them. 

So lets see.... Sephora's Rouge program was a huge disappointment. Now the mods are picking favorites & only following the guidelines when they choose, so BT is a disappointment. The only reason why I was still making purchases at Sephora was because of BT. Oh well :smileytongue:

wingatprsct

[ Edited ]

I would like to reiterate what Mafan said so well, "the spark has gone out of Beauty Talk." I used to come on BT several times a day and could always find something to comment on, advice for newbies, similar makeup experiences, new products, tried and true favorites, random questions, and celebrations (aka, heart parties). There was always a topic of interest for anyone to share. It was a smorgasbord of fun and knowledgeable topics, something for everyone!  Now it seems as sterile as an operating room! The climate has changed; it is cold and unfriendly.

It seems that a few (squeaky wheels) wanted BT to suit their individual tastes and the Mods, in our politically correct world, conceded. We all know it's always easier to complain than to provide positive solutions (as simple as posting more makeup related topics if you didn't like the heart parties). The climate changed when Off-topic was moved from the main feed. I never go there; it's a dead zone. It's the "heart" of BT and what makes this forum different from any other makeup forum and it's buried in a dead zone! It's what drew me here and what has also pushed me away. It's what built community and friendships and now it is just another random beauty site.

I appreciate Sephora for offering this forum. I have gained a wealth of knowledge, developed wonderful friendships and increased my beauty stash considerably (made Rouge twice)!  I have to give BT credit for sparking my interest or I would still be wearing drugstore brand makeup not realizing there was a Holy Grail foundation that makes my skin look flawless, skincare that has erased the effects of time and years of sun exposure, or how to contour (thanks lylysa).

I feel passionate about BT and am concerned about its current state. I feel saddened when I think that others (newbies) may be turned off by the cold, unwelcoming climate and lack of community that is present here. Maybe the pendulum will swing back to center. I don't know, but it has definitely "lost its spark." :smileysad:

snowshoe

Oh, I forgot...

heart.jpg

snowshoe

I have to agree that over the last few months, the mood has darkened here.  I don't feel the same enthusiasm to post here that I used to.  I don't think it's any one person or entity's fault, but it's a combination of factors together that have put a damper on this place.  I was never a member of BT before Rouge, so in terms of the "old BT" I have nothing to compare my experiences to.  But I do know that the atmosphere here has steadily gone downhill. 

Hopefully Sephora will step up to the plate and do something about this; otherwise I fear they will have an empty forum...and that is something that doesn't really look good for any company's PR.  And considering that Sephora's PR took a big hit from the the botched launch of the Rouge program, they should be very eager to jump on fixing this community.

veronika23

[ Edited ]

I agree!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

SailorStacy

If I could post a heart I would, but I can't but I wanted to say I read what I want to read, skip what I want to skip.  I can make that choice for myself.  I thought everything showed up on the main feed, only found out it didn't yesterday *face palm*. 

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Hearts for everyone!

m3rma1d

:heart:

I mean, why not?

SallieSunshine

I'm very much looking forward to the response to this request. Heart parties are - forgive the pun - the heart of BT. It was just a few weeks ago that the newest mod on the boards was welcomed - by another mod - with a heart party!

I think it was a mistake to summarily sweep them from the main page yesterday.

My name is SFS, and I support this petition.

calamityjane85

SFS!!!!!!!!

joeanne

upload_8627875543618651436.png

I love heart parties and I hope (hint hint) that when I hit 1,000 hearts I will have one (again, hint, hint) and I want it on the main page for everyone to ooohh and aaahh over for a day and I'll feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

kssweetheart

(0) Hearts

@Joeanne - I''ve been watching your hearts, you were only in the 800's last week or so, now you've broken through to the 900's!! I hope your upcoming heart party will be 'front page news'.

I think I know the 'Fairy Godmother' who is watching and waiting and will be throwing it too - and let me tell you, she's a sweetheart!:smileywink:

mafan

This all makes me very sad.  Those of you who know me know this will likely be a long post. :smileyhappy: Those of you who don't, well, I'm sorry that I don't know you because I haven't been here as much recently.

BeautyTalk used to be what I read on my iPad before I fell asleep at night.  It's the place that I've made friends who might be different from me in age, makeup experience, music or fashion choices, whatever.  But it was a place that I could go to to ask questions, give (long, rambling) advice, joke around.

I remember some very important but truly off-topic threads that we had.  Things that some of our newer mods were not around to read, I expect.  Things that might have been controversial but were not.  They were helpful, even if only tangentially related to makeup.

Now I feel like the spark has gone out of Beauty Talk.  I know some of it is because people for various reasons have decided to spend less time here.  Some of it is because it's such a great resource that a lot of newer people come looking for help.  And of course the first help people look for is often something that has been asked many times before.  So what?  It's still worth asking -- and decent forum software would make it easy to search for an answer so that 3 people wouldn't ask basically the same question in 6 hours not because they didn't search (which is possible) but also because the search function is not very helpful.

In the past, off topic items were random and more rare.  Heart parties happened once in a while.  Someone posted the same question in 6 places at the same time because they felt desperate and wanted help.  The front page felt a bit cluttered for a bit and you used the 'show more topics' button or came back later.  Maybe you even joined a party or offered some advice.  Now it seems like people either complain about seeing too much of something or want to have fun and go overboard because it feels like there are no topics of substance to read here.

I've seen other internet forums fail over the years, mostly because people get fed up and move on elsewhere.  This isn't the helpful place it used to be.  The moderators don't seem to have time to add helpful advice.  People seem to post like they are experts on a topic when really they have products that they know and love but are not experts and don't know how to express the difference.  Experienced moderators who would let things flow seem to have been replaced by moderators who are extremely heavy handed -- either by corporate mandate or their personalities.  All of these things influence our user experience.

This used to be a place where I saw interesting questions that I was pleased that I could answer, whether on-topic or not.  It was a place that I could ask for advice and get it.  It was a place I could go for a good laugh without having to search for it.  It was a place everyone was happy and comfortable enough that people didn't feel like they had to go over the top to make things feel fun, happy, mean-girl, annoying, whatever ther personality of the day might be.  It's not a place that I generally feel like I want to hang out.

And I'll just add this -- when I hung out here more, I saw more things that enabled me.  I heard more advice that made me want to try something.  I heard what others couldn't live without or thought was beautiful and felt like I needed to try it too.  And it all made me shop at Sephora more.  That's gone now.  I shop here because you have what I want or a good promotion.  Something I can manage to get without Beauty Talk at all.  BT is less useful than ever to me.

Yea, I'm old in life, and I'm older in BT experience.  I value the friends I've made here, but I don't feel like much encourages me to stay here or make more friends.  Ultimately Sephora loses and we all lose.

sephoralovex

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I agree @mafan... I joined a over year ago and use to go on everyday till a few months ago... MULTIPLE times a day even! I always looked forward to coming on here and chit chatting away. Now I get on every now and then and hardly comment anymore either. I guess I dont have that same exciting feeling anymore

SydBristow

Very well said, and true for me as well.  I used to sincerely enjoy coming to BT and it was very enabling to get me to purchase stuff.  Like immediately - "I must have that type" of purchasing.  But the tenor here has really changed, and the input from the moderators, absolutely no offense intended, seems to lean less towards providing helpful answers to people asking questions and more about changing what we have been posting here - whether it be to move things around, or asking us not to moderator the posts of others, or removing anything with a dollar value on the trade threads.  Not saying what they have been doing is wrong, it is redirecting BT more towards the overall guidelines.  But I guess it just doesn't feel warm and fuzzy here anymore when it really used to. 

kalex

I second just about everything you said.  I used to spend a ridiculous amount of time on BT now I pop on once in awhile and often leave without even posting.

makeupobesessed

I do exactly the same.

MoreGun89

Yup, I feel bad that I mostly lurk, too >.>

notcreative

I am still learning how to navigate Beautytalk, but I thought the main page had every topic in chronological order. I do not want to miss anything, so I think everything should be on the main page.  If someone feels like searching for a more specific topic, they should do that.  I have stumbled upon heart party threads recently.  When were they moved from the main board?  

SallieSunshine

notcreative, all heart parties appear to have been moved to the Off Topic thread last night in one fell swoop. 

The Off Topic thread used to show up on the main page, too.  However, a few months ago - in a change much like this one - the Off Topic thread was segregated from the main page with no warning. 

All conversations used to be visible on the main page when you came to BT (with the exception being the customer service thread, where people post requests to mods).  Now you have to drill down to Off Topic if you don't want to miss anything. 

notcreative

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the info.  That is a shame.  Hopefully, the petition works.  I can miss so much content if things start to get segregated.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 216 replies
  • 2591 hearts
  • 89 in conversation
    • kalex
    • daisies121
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • mberteig
    • killahbabe