Can canadians use gift cards online?

If I am in Canada, Why can't I use my gift card online? The lady at my local sephora store said I could.

Answers: 71
Answered

When is this ever going to change?  It's seems skeevy that Sephora hasn't quickly acted on this issue?  Are they happy to have customers but the giftcards with the impression that they can be used online because many will go unused?  I have a gift card sitting in my wallet that is useless to me because I live very far away from the closest Sephora.  It was a Christmas gift and I know that I am by FAR not the only one in the same position..  Shame on you Sephora Canada for doing business in this manner.  

Answered

I think it is completely unacceptable that this is still an issue 2 years later! I just spent over an hour choosing items to purchase online, only to be informed right before the final checkout stage that I could not use my Canadian gift card. I spoke with a sephora employee in stores who confirmed with someone else that I in fact COULD use my gift card in the online US store it was really disappointing to find out that i could not. The perfume I wanted to buy is no longer available in Sephora stores and can only be bought online which is unfortunate because I got a gift card for christmas that was supposed to be used to buy this perfume. I am not impressed Sephora. 

Answered

Ive run into the same problem.  I was told both in store and over the phone I cud use my Cdn GC on the american site, however after many attempts (and many phone calls), it wont work.  The American site has better prices, cheaper shipping, better promos and a better selection than the Cdn site/store.  I refuse to pay around 30% more for less value.  Why the large discrepancy?  For quite a while our $ was on par or worth more than the U.S. $.  Also, i do high volume american purchases and ship my parcels to an american shipping co. just across the line, so i do use an american shipping address.  Gap, J Crew, Target, Aeropostale, Urbanoutfitters, Amazon...etc do not have this problem.   Only Sephora, as far as I can tell.   So, my gift cards languish in my wallet.  I do most of my cosmetic shopping at London Drugs now.   they have Anna Sui cosmetics which are amazing.

Answered

I can't possibly fathom how this is an issue 2+ years later! I have attempted to place an order for item 1615186 online as it is not available at my local Sephora. In fact, the website indicates that it is only available online. I attempted to place the order on the phone but it wasn't until I provided my mailing address to the person with whom I was speaking that he informed me that he was not able to place my order. I then reached out to Sephora via their Facebook page explaining the issue and although they promptly replied they simply instructed me to call my local Sephora to see when the product would be back in stock. I have done so and they kindly told me they were not sure but couldn't see it coming in again until spring. Sephora you are a huge retailer and now well-established in the Canadian market, I can't believe this is an issue to begin with let alone an issue still! I essentially have a gift card that I received for Christmas that I am unable to use toward the purchase of this particular product that I very much want. Very, very disappointing.

Answered

When asked what I wanted for my birthday, I chose a Sephora gift card. NEVER AGAIN - what a waste of $100!! My local store never has the things in stock that I want, so I finally gave up (I've checked every week since they opened 2.5 months ago) and attempted to order them online. That's when I found out they won't let me use the card online (I've never had this happen with any other store before). How is it that Sephora refuses to take gift cards when every other store does? Ridiculous. 
At least I found out now - I was originally planning to buy gift cards for friends at Christmas. I will take my business elsewhere.

Answered

June 2014....still nothing

Answered

This just happened to me too....got one for Christmas, went to buy Guerlain foundation that isn't in the store and can't use my giftcard online. Bye Sephora.

Answered

Totally Agree! I spent over an hour picking out what I wanted to buy and then I realize I can't use the gift card to buy it. SEPHORA YOU NEED TO FIX THIS ISSUE. You are going to lose customers.

Answered

Two and a half years later and this is still an issue.  I found out at the last minute as well, that I have a useless gift card.  Get this fixed!

Answered

Do the people at Sephora even read this thread.  It's almost 2016 and still nothing,  really would like to use my gift card online!   I have privately messaged Sephora while they did offer me points which I am greatful for.  I  am not impressed that this issue is still not resolved.

Answered

Just spent two hours going through the whole online store picking up everything I need that I cannot get in stores. 

Giftcard fully states: "redeemable for merchandise sold at Sephora locations in the United States and Canada, at SEPHORA.COM or through the Sephora Catalogue."

That is what I call false advertisement. What a way to rip off my mother-in-law by telling her I could use it online. in Canada. 

Very disappointed. Can you refund a gift card because I do not want to give my hard earned money or my mother-in-laws to a company who from looking at the comments hasn't fixed this problem or the false advertisement in over two years.

Answered

Why am i still not able to use my gift card online.. it IS 2015... I can't believe this Sephora, why are you not doing anything to change this?

Answered

The issue continues in 2015 nov so bs they are having a sale everything in store is sold out but I cannot use my gift card online.

Answered

2016 and this issue still exists.  Wow.

Answered

wow, in this day of blooming e-commerce, you still want people to visit a brick and mortar store to use their gift card? oh please. and then some of the items i want are not available at the store, what gives? so now i have items online that i cannot buy with my gift card, and a gift card that i cannot use online. simply ridiculous.

Answered

We're at two and a half years now, and yup, I found out at the very last second that I have a useless gift card.  Get this fixed!

Answered

yup just totally wasted my time looking through products online and now realized I can't apply my gift card…. this makes no sense especially since you don't have the same beauty deals in store as you do onllie

Answered

I am so unbelievably upset with this! upon trying to use my gift card to purchase an item I have really wanted and is not available in the only store near me, I was told upon checkout that I cannot use my gift card to make any purchases online because I am in Canada. It is almost 2017!! My gift card clearly states that it can be used online. Bye bye cyber Monday goodies and samples I was so excited for, and bye bye Tarte palatte that I've wanted so badly. I am not impressed at all.IMG_20151130_190452.jpg

Answered

Are you kidding me? I am not impressed. Allowing payments through gift cards for online shopping should be a given in this day and age. On top of it, I found out I couldn't use my gift card till the very last stage in payment. I am utterly disgusted with this service. 

Answered

Still same issue. 

I just spent so much time picking all the stuff I wanted to then find out via this blog that I can not make an online purchase with my gift card.

I actually called Sephora first, and they really should be trained on this fact because the woman told me 3 times that yes it is available and I should try refreshing and that I must be doing something wrong. 

She logged in and then back tracked her words by saying I don't see it either and then went quiet. Without any other explanation she's like so is that all for today, as if she had helped me with something when really I got no solutions or even a response of Oh, on the Canadian site gift cards are not accepted at this time. No explanation whatsoever.

How annoying!

Answered

Disappointed that I can't use my gift card online. I wanted to purchase a gift set that is not available in stores Smiley Sad

Answered
[ Edited ]

I called this morning the hotline because I had not received my card and kept hearing about it online. The lady knew I was in Canada, asked me my address. She gave me a code and PIN number and told me it was a 25$ gift card for 50$ purchase. I go online, shop and find something that I now want due to having this free money. OOPS! Can't accept "international" customers' gift cards online. You just opened a shipping facility in Canada, so we are not "international" customers anymore. Seems like your rep should have told me that they were giving me a useless code since, I don't need the code and PIN to spend it in store, at least I hope not... why would I? Logic... so now I'm a VIB rouge who has spent way too much money at your store and you can't even manage to give me my 25$ gift card online? I can't get my online shopping rebates and the 10% off code? And what's up with taking away all the sales products for Canadians this year? Cheapies. You're Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy for crying out loud, why do you need to be so cheap??

Edit: I called again and placed my order with the code via phone. The only downside is that I couldn't get my Ebates rebate. Also it couldn't be used in conjunction with a coupon code, although if it was a coupon code I could use it online... It is a gift card to be entered in the gift card area... aaaanyway whatever. The person said I wasn't the only one who had called with this 'technical issue' but that it was supposed to work. But the website clearly says what I noted above so perhaps he is misinformed.

Answered

This is the most frustrating thing as a loyal sephora customer. This is something that should have been looked at a LONG time ago. I tried calling the hotline and asked if I could have the credit put on my account if I gave them the gift card numbers? They said thats not an option. 

GET YOUR STUFF TOGETHER SEPHORA CANADA! 

Answered

I have a gift card from my sister that she gave me for my birthday and I am not able to use it online. I am lucky that a Sephora opened in our city otherwise I would have to drive 1.5hrs to a Sephora to use it. I think it is ridiculous as not everyone has a Sephora near them or they want to use it online as the item(s) aren't available in the store they shop at.

Answered

COME ON SEPHORA! THIS HAS TO CHANGE!

Answered

In this day and age, when online stores offer more options that in-stores, you need to fix this.

Answered
[ Edited ]

Highly disappointing that after two years of complaints, Sephora still has not taken the steps to allow Canadians to use their gift cards online.  Is this a feature that the Sephora team is even working on? Seems two years+ is plenty of time to implement a feature like this... Can we be expecting to be able to use gift cards in the near future? Very frustrating...

Answered

Sephora, it's 2015 already! Please do something about this. It's ridiculous. The back of my gift card says it can be used online, but turns out it couldn't. Honestly Sephora, this is unfair for your Canadian customers.

Answered

I can't believe it's 2015 and this is STILL an issue!  I want to use my giftcard online.  1) Not all of us live near a store and 2) not all your products are available in-store.  Very frustrating that we can't use giftcards online.

Answered

My husband recently drove over two hours to purchase a gift card for me from the West Edmonton Mall location. I live in a rural location with 2 small children so I don't get out to do much shopping by myself in the city so he thought I could use the $200.00 to spend as I wish online. I do the majority of shopping online. He even looked at the back of the gift card after purchasing to ensure it could be used online and it did read "is redeemable for merchandise sold at Sephora stores, through Sephora.com or the Sephora catalogue". I was over the moon when I received the card as I dreamed over what I would order. I went to purchase an online order yesterday and I noted there was no place to enter gift card information. I called Sephora for help. I explained to the lady the card read it could be redeemed on Sephora.com and she replied quite hastily that I could not redeem the card on Sephora.ca. In addition, she added you can try order from Sephora.com but the order will probably get cancelled. So Sephora...how does this make any sense.... You are selling a gift card that can only be redeemed properly (in all formats) in the United States at your Canadian store locations without properly advising your Canadian customers the hidden conditions of the product they are purchasing. My husband was very angry about this...what a huge waste of his time. He could have just given me cash to use for Sephora and I could have ordered what I wanted. Now, even if I drive over two hours to get to a sephora store location I won't be able to purchase because the new Drybar straightener set I want is online available online only...you have to be kidding me?!? I also noticed on this link that a Sephora spokesperson addressed this issue back in 2014 and said they would look at this issue. Every other major online retailer I deal with accepts their issued gift cards as payment...so no I don't understand the issue. At least be mindful of your Canadian customers and let them know that the gift card they are purchasing have limitations for their redemption.