alexis93

dry face skin

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good lotion (or any other solution) for me.

My skin on my face gets extremely dry throughout the day to the point where I can see it starting to flake/peel. I notice it most around my eyes & on my eyelids and near the corners of my mouth, but I also see it lightly on my cheeks. I have combination skin, so those parts of my face get very dry, but my T-zone and sides of my nose get really oily. I'm not sure if the dry skin is just from the harsh winter weather/seasonal change, but even on the nice, warm days, I still notice some dry patches.

A little bit about my skincare/makeup routine:

I wash my face in the morning & at night with Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash (I've been using it for a while & have never had a problem; my forehead and cheeks are prone to the occasional pimple). I occasionally switch it up and use Korres Milk Proteins Foaming Cream Cleanser. I always moisturize after washing my face, usually with Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion. I lightly spot treat the occasional pimple with a salicylic acid gel. As for makeup, I apply primer after moisturizing, then use mineral foundation.

I'm looking for a lotion that is lightweight & won't make me break out, but also something that is heavy enough to take care of my dry skin. My skin is on the more sensitive side, but I can handle lightly fragranced things.

drrragon

Re: dry face skin

(0) Hearts

That Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash has a high probability of being the root of your problems.  It contains a really harsh detergent that can cause irritation, redness, and dryness.  I didn't realize until after the fact, but my face used to be a mess, constantly fighting rashes, itchyness, and dry dry dry.  It got a LOT better just by switching off the Neutrogena Oil-Free cleanser onto something more gentle (in my case, CeraVe, but you can find plenty of cleansers without that harsh ingredient (sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate).

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Agree: Overdose on salicylic acid happening.  I would use a milky cleanser to remove your makeup at night, then that or a gel cleanser to use in mornings.  I think the Clinique moisturizer is actually ideal for you.  My gut and personal experience tell me it's all in too much chemical exfoliation and dryness coming from the salicylic acid.  Odds are, you're more combo than actually blemish-prone, so tone down on your "acne" products and aim for those to work on combo skin.

Try Murad's Pomegranate Mask twice a week.  It'll exfoliate but VERY gently so you won't have redness, roughness, or dry spots.  Plus, it hydrates the skin really, really well.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

By chance do you ever exfoliate?

Though you may not be having an issue with your Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash, if your skin only gets a few pimples here or there, the overdose and constant exposure to salicylic acid (a beta hydroxy acid which helps to clear pores and rid skin of bacteria) may be causing the dryness as it's also working to rid skin of the natural oils your skin needs to keep itself balanced.

The Korres Milk Proteins Cleanser is a good choice, the milk proteins (lactic acid, an alpha hydroxy acid, which has enzymes to break down dead skin and promote evening of skintone and healthy cellular regeneration) is much more gentle on skin and even lends a hand to the occasional pimple you get while also soothing skin as milk helps with being an anti-inflammatory be it from redness or irritation.

Alpha hydroxy acids (like lactic, glycolic-fruit enzymes, and mandelic) and beta hydroxy acids are chemical based exfoliants since you don't physically feel them in the product being used. The use of them is more gentle and can be used more often compared to physical exfoliants (those with particles suspended intheir formulas) as they promote healthy cellular regeneration, but BHA might dry out some skin if it's not needed to actually treat and target acne. If you decide to pick up a physical exfoliator, try one with jojoba beads or gentle polishing agents as to not be abrasive or scratch at the skin. Peter Thomas Roth's Buffing Beads and Boscia's Facial Smoothing Polish are both delicate and will remove dead/excess surface skin cells without being harsh. Use a physical exfoliator 1-2x a week.

In terms of the moisture you're using, though the CDDML is light weight in texture, it relies heavily on mineral oil. Mineral oil can be beneficial by acting as a barrier to help seal in conditioning ingredients, but it can also clog pores and even block skin from absorbing what is actually needed. In fact, many of the ingredients in the CDDML have increasing good/bad reputations.

Since your skin is more sensitive, look for products that are void of petrochemicals, sulfates, parabens, synthetic colors/fragrance, and extra additives. Korres' Greek Yoghurt moisturizers are great for skin that is dehydrated, dry, or needs instant relief in terms of moisture. Korres' Pomegranate moisturizers are also great to treat and balance your skin since it's combination/oily but also dehydrated. The gel/cream texture provides instant comfort but won't be too heavy or greasy feeling on your complexion.

For daytime, try looking into Boscia (Vital Moisture SPF 15, Oil Free Daily Hydration SPF 15, or Self Defense Vital Moisture SPF 15) as it's a line designed for sensitive skin and offers SPF protection.

bowlofmushypeas

(0) Hearts

For a heavier nighttime lotion, I like Origins moisturizer with Mimosa:

http://www.sephora.com/starting-over-age-erasing-moisturizer-with-mimosa-P297518?skuId=1375708

When I need extra relief, I add a few drops of jojoba oil and that usually does the trick! I've also heard good things about the Fresh Seaberry oil so might try it out sometime.

During the day, I've just started trying out Philosophy's Take a Breath, which is less hydrating but is SO lightweight, refreshing, and helpful for oil control.

Finally, I recently found out about the AmorePacific spray for extra hydration during the day.

http://www.sephora.com/moisture-bound-skin-energy-hydration-delivery-system-P232929?skuId=1161660

I haven't used it yet but chose this over the Evian spray and the Fresh rose toner because it might be more moisturizing.

Hope that helps!

jenaface

(0) Hearts

I have EXTREMELY dry skin and I use Eucerin Original Healing it is heavy but its the only thing that will work for me especially in the Winter. I have the same problem visibly flaky skin which isn't a good look and this clears it up completely! 

mafan

(0) Hearts

For your eyes, take a look at Clinique's All About Eyes.  If you have access to a store, see if you can get samples of both the regular and the rich.  I find it hydrating and good for bags under the eyes, and great for dryness.  I had terribly dry, flaky eyelid problems last year, and using this finally cleared them up and they're fine now.  You can use it on the lids.  (Mine were so bad and so sore I was putting it on more than twice a day, which is when the Rich formula became nice.)

If you use too much, you'll have trouble keeping eye makeup on, so beware.  But I found it great for dryness.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Have you checked out AmorePacific's treatment enzyme peel? http://www.sephora.com/treatment-enzyme-peel-P232931

I find it really helps to "eat away" all the dry flakes with plant extracts. It's gentle enough to use every day, and the powder turns into a foam, meaning it doesn't have beads or harsh jagged exfoliants. 

If you like your routine, but notice you're getting dry during the day, check out some hydrating mists that are alcohol free. They can be applied over makeup without disturbing it. 

http://www.sephora.com/rose-marigold-floral-water-P39970?skuId=661157

http://www.sephora.com/rosewater-balancing-mist-P224506?skuId=1430032

http://www.sephora.com/african-red-tea-face-mist-P162539?skuId=949917

http://www.sephora.com/rosey-mist-refreshing-rose-water-P306902?skuId=1405216

alexis93

(0) Hearts

Thanks! I've seen the Evian ones around, and the last time I wanted to try a grape water mist (it was offered a while ago as a trial or something from Sephora), but they were out last time! I'll definitely have to try the mist, esp. for summer!

cendrogirl

I have very similar skin, and I use a serum prior to applying my moisturizer. The Ole Henricksen Truth Serum® Vitamin C Collagen Booster is great for added moisture. I only pat it on my cheeks, crows feet area and my neck. I don't usually apply it to my t-zone. Also I would recommend using a very mild cleaners to not strip anymore natural oils out of your skin.

Lastly I use the Fresh Seaberry Moisturizing Face Oil and add a couple of drops in with my moisturizer. I also tried Argan oil and although I liked it, I personally didn't see a great improvement. These steps have helped my skin so much. Hope that helps.

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Well i think you've got a pretty good routine going. Instead of changing things i think you should incorporate a hydrating oil. Argan has been beneficial for as well as many people, although for some it makes them breakout, it just depends how your skin will react. I also have flakey skin, but it has really stopped being so dry after i switched to the korres milk protein cleanser that you mentioned, and as a night cream i have been using Josie Marans Infinity cream. I have not seen any flakiness since using it. The scent isn't overwhelming for me. Its fairly priced as well, you get 2.2 oz for $28. I think that is a great deal. Also are you exfoliating? 

alexis93

(0) Hearts

I'll definitely have to try Josie Marans infinity cream. Thanks! Yes, I do exfoliate. I try not to exfoliate too often, but even when I do it often, I've never had a problem in the past with excessively dry skin. I'm exfoliating a bit more these days, as I'm a performer, and I've got Ben Nye creme colors & glitter on my face every night, which seems to go right through my primer/foundation and straight into my pores...

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Oh i bet thats hard to get all that off your skin. A chemical exfoliator such as Exfolikate or Algenist MicroPolish peel might help with that.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 10 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • drrragon
    • jennypenny1995
    • lylysa
    • mafan