cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin
|

What is a good Cleansing Oil?

Hi,

I am in search for a good cleansing oil that removes makeup and is good for sensitive skin. Any suggestions? What do you think about Tatcha and Shu Uemura? 

Re: What is a good Cleansing Oil?

I use the Shiseido Perfect Cleansing Oil, and it's amazing. I have sensitive combination skin and it doesn't break me out, which is such a good thing! I used to be afraid of oils until I tried this one and now I swear by it. It melts my double wear foundation right off when I use it. I then use my Shiseido Pureness Deep Cleansing Foam to wash my face.

Oil Price: $32

Yet another vote for the Boscia Makeup Breakup Cleansing Oil from me! It's cheaper than either of the options you listed, and you can also start by buying the smaller travel size ($13 CAD) to test it out. I find the Boscia effective while still being incredibly gentle-- it's one of the few cleansers that doesn't sting my eyes at all; I can use it to remove everything from face makeup to lipstick to heavy duty mascara and eyeliner. 

RE: What is a good Cleansing Oil?

Any opinions on Sephora's cleansing oil? I need an inexpensive option.

@tvisram,

Do you have any other skin concerns besides sensitivity, e.g. are you prone to breakouts and/or dryness easily or more redness and hives/rash? Does even light fragrance bother your skin?

Comedogenicity of oils might play an important role in your choice—some of the more common, lowest-rated carrier oils you'll see are argan, sunflower, hemp, safflower, and shea (mineral oil, too, though some people avoid it since it's a petroleum byproduct.)

Asking because certain common cleansing oil ingredients (capric triglycerides/coconut byproducts, castor oil, etc.) can be particularly triggering if you're prone to dryness or breakouts.

I have to agree with Keelybt and others about the Boscia. I've used it often and it is very gentle to my sensitive skin. It does have a slight minty smell and doesn't leave a weird residue. I use the charcoal black cleanser afterwards and follow it up with their facial tonic (toner) followed by their sake blue hydration serum.

I talked with a rep and they said they would bring back the blue sake hydration serum. 

I've never been really into Clinique, but their Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm is amazing. I've had it for 4 months and am not even half way done. I normally run through make-up remover like it's my business too, I'm heavy on mascara, liquid liner, eyeliner, bright colors etc.

If you have sensetive skin try to stay away from things thathave mineral oil in them. It claims that it doesn't clog pores but yet it does.

The one of the best one from price/quality is th body shop one, the same with their balms, they are great! Same goes to clinique balm. Right now I'm using the Biotherm oil, it will not help with a heavy eye make up but generally it's nice.

Hi Tvisram, I love cleansing oils and I've tried several. I always come back to the Boscia MakeUp-BreakUp Cool Cleansing Oil. It's a thicker texture so I feel like it really does breakup all the makeup immediately. It's faster to use and I use less product. With others I have tried, I usually end up having to use more to get my smoky eye off. 

Anonymous Insider

Try Votary Cleansing Oil

Do you all use a second cleanser after the oil?

I normally use Tatcha's rice enzyme polish afterwards, but if not, I'll for sure use a toner.

Cheers!
Nikko

Always. I look at the oil cleanser as a makeup remover only. After that I need a cream cleanser to really remove the the dirt, sweat, and grime (plus residue from the oil cleanser) from my skin.

Most of the times I do, because the oil cleansers often leave a residue and my pores are easily clogged. Some oil cleansers like Tatcha or Shu Uemura rinses off well so my skin feel clean and wiping with toner picks up nothing, in which case I don't follow up with a second cleanser. But for Josie Maran, Boscia etc I use a gentle cleanser after removing makeup with the oil.

I love Shisiedo's Perfect Cleansing Oil.  Takes everything off!  Plus, you can use it on wet or dry skin.  I've been using this on and off for about a decade now (I only using cleansing oils & always end up coming back to this one).

This one has quickly become a favorite of mine. I love how thick it is and how soft it makes my skin feel. 

My favorite and go to lately has been L'Occitane Shea Cleansing Oil. It does't dry out or strip my skin, and it does a nice job of removing make up. I think the shea is very soothing, and the oil emulsifies instead of lathers, so the texture is nice. 

I've used Josie Maran's and Julep's cleansing oil as well as Tatcha. I VASTLY prefer Julep's, surprisingly. JM is too thick imo and Tatcha is too runny. Julep seems to be the perfect one for me personally and it smells good.

I really love Josie Maran's cleansing oil, smells good too lol 😄

Tatcha and Shu are both great at removing makeup and for sensitive skin. I find Tatcha to be a bit thicker and more moisturizing than Shu.

Boscia makeup breakup oil is great at removing makeup, but the fragrance is rather strong. It didn't irritate my skin but if you are sensitive to strong fragrance especially around the eye area, try other cleansing oils first.

24 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing