Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin
|

Skincare options

Hello, I have sensitive skin and dry to normal combination.

I am looking for something that I won't break out with and I'm finding a hard time doing that. I am also looking for something to hydrate my skin and remove the imperfections and brighten it up a bit. So far I've tried Ren and Olehendrikson and none seem to do the job, I end up getting a few red spots and pimples

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Skincare options

@greenchilli thanks for your feedback!!! It's amazing

How's the Shu Uemura cleansing oil? 

When you say the orange OH cleanser I assume the foaming one and not the melting balm one, cuz the balm is a makeup remover and leaves a residue that makes the skin feel stuffy and might cause breakout if you don't follow up with a real cleanser.

Every brand has their hit and misses, sometimes you may have to mix and match products from different lines. For brightening and imperfections, look for products with acid, vitamin C or enzymes. I have combination skin that can be sensitive and breakout prone at times, so I'll just list what I use in the winter:

- Cleanser: Koh Gen Do cleansing water as makeup remover before cleansing, Boscia Purifying cleanser for cleansing. Or if I'm wearing very light makeup, Tatcha oil cleanser removes makeup well and cleanses.

- Exfoliator: Tatcha rice enzyme powder (the gentle/pink one), OH sugar polish, PTR pumpkin mask or Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion

- Toner: Dior gentle toning lotion with velvet peony, recommended to me by a friend with dry sensitive skin and it's AMAZING. It moisturizes without leaving a residue or feeling stuffy, feels comforting even when my skin is irritated/windchapped/damaged, and makes my skin so soft!

- Serum: OH truth serum, Drunk Elephant Framboos glycolic, Perricone vit C serum.

When I get painful red spots or itchy pimples that are not due to hormone/diet, it's usually because I'm either using a cleanser/exfoliator that's too harsh for my skin type or I'm using a moisturizer that is too rich/thick for my skin type (so it just sits on top of the skin instead of absorbs/hydrates and my skin end up feeling stuffy/itchy).

Thank you for your feedback!! Appreciate it 🙂

@greenchilli so I was using La Roche before, but then switched to OLE. I used to the orange cleanser along with the truth serum and transformation moisturizer in the morning and then the same cleanser at night with the night cream and the same moisturizer. 

After a few days, I started noticing that the pimples  originally had were going down, but I started getting new ones, red ones and white heads. 

@tvisram

It seems like you are trying to have a routine all from a single brand, that would defeat the purpose of a good skincare routine.  I wouldn't look at brands, but would look at specific products.  Then you can pick and choose. 

Not knowing much more, here is my recommendation to you.

Age 30

1. Cleanse - I suggest using a gentle cream cleanser in the AM, such as Ren Evercalm Cleansing milk, or Tata Harper Refreshing Cleanser.  They suit all skin types and are especillay good for sensitive skins (I am not saying your skin is sensitive).

In the PM, I recommend using an oil or balm cleanser.  Even though you wear light makeup, you still need to make sure it comes off.  I do not recommend overcelansing.  A nice oil or balm that is nourishing for the skin will take off your light makeup and also cleanse your skin.  I suggest Tata Harper Nourishing cleaning oil.

2. Exfoliate - At 30, it is good to incorporate regular exfoliation into your routine.  This is by far the most effective step in keeping your skin clear, bright, and fight premature ageing. 

I recommend exfoliating only with an acid exfoliator (liquid or pads).  If there is a any chance of skin sensitivity, scrubby products will make it a ton worse.

Use an acid twice a week (at night), and you may ramp up to more nighst a week if your skin tolerates it.  

I love Dr. Dennis Gross alpha beta peels and FAB Radiance pads.  DDG regular strength peels are really my gold standard.  They have multi acid exfoliants, and the step 2 will deliver some retinol as well. 

3. Moisturise - dehydrated skin is sensitive/reactive skin that is more susceptible to breakouts and reactions.  I do not know your skin type.  But I suggest hydrating well.  I don't recommend oil free/gel moisturisers to anybody unless they are extremely oily.  In fact, incorporating an oil in winter/nights will go far in strengthening your skin barrier.

It is up to you to find moisturisers/oils that suit you. It was a challenge for me, especially with oils.  None of the oils I love are carried by Sephora, but you may find what you like. 

In terms of moisturisers, Ren, Tata Harper, Caudalie etc have been very popular. 

4. Eye cream - At 30 I suggest using an eye cream.  Farmacy is a good one.

Disclaimer - I like a few Ren products, especially the Evercalm cleanser and the Bio Retinoid oil.  I am not a fan of Ole Henriksen products at all.  I have either disliked a product or been underwhelmed.

@tvisram

Do you wear makeup and/or SPF during the day?

How old are you?

I wear very minimal makeup, only concealer and blush. Sunscreen I only wear in the summer (I'm from Canada) 

I am 30 years old 

@tvisram

Would you describe your AM and PM skincare routine right now?  What products in Ren and OH did you use and how did you incorporate it in your routine?

Often we think our skin is sensitive, but it isn't.  It just reacts poorly to certain ingredients which is not unusual.  Some people do have sensitive skin for sure, but not as many as we think.

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing