kelsihoneybee

Skin Care Routine For 20 Year Old?

(0) Hearts

I have NO idea how to take care of my skin properly. I dont know a lot about what skin products do and what I need to use and when.

But I use Neutrogena's foaming face scrub right now which i absolutely love and i use a moisturizer that isnt bad, but i want to know what you would suggest i use.

I want a whole routine, cleanser, toner (if thats necessary), creams, moisturizers, the whole sha-bang.

Im 20 years old and I have pretty average skin, a little on the dryer side, I have dark circles under my eyes and although im young slight wrinkles under my eyes, i think a lot of it is due to puffyness and smiling because theyre only there when i smile, but in pictures i look older than i am because of it. I dont get acne often, maybe a small pimple here and there but i do have black heads on my cheeks and chin.

I read you should use an eye cream and anti aging things once you turn twenty but i dont want to harm my skin.

SOOO basically what would you suggest? 

Please use brands if possible. thank you so so much everyone!!

EllePerryy

Re: Skin Care Routine For 20 Year Old?

(0) Hearts

You're completely right about taking care of your skin from an early age. Your skin actually sounds very similar to mine, I don't love my under eye area because of puffiness, I get a pimple every now and then but not very often and some areas of my face are a little dry. I looked for quite some time for a complete skin care regimen that was healthy and beneficial for my skin without totally breaking the bank. Based off of friend's suggestions and tons of research I came up with the skincare line from Ole Henriksen. He has a set called Seven Skincare Sensations. This is the set I personally use and it works amazing, and the price is pretty awesome too.

The set has a complete day and night regimen which is as follows:

Day:

African Red Tea Foaming Cleanser

Truth Serum Collagen Booster

Truth Revealed Super Creme spf 15

Night:

African Red Tea Foaming Cleanser

Invigorating Night Gel

Sheer Transformation

Ultimate Lift Eye Gel

It also includes a walnut scrub to use twice weekly.

The African Red Tea Foaming Cleanser, which has an amazing scent, feels great on my skin. It doesn't dry it out and my skin feels super soft after only washing it. The walnut scrub is very gritty and really gives your face a glow after using without being too rough.

Using all the products has had a serious impact on my skin in positive ways. It looks smoother, feels softer, looks more naturally glowing without makeup, and its more even. I've actually gotten compliments on my skin from friends that see me everyday, since I began using this regimen.

As far as the value, the products in the set are a smaller size than their individual counterparts, but I actually like that better because these things will last forever. The individuals average 40$ each, which really adds up, but this entire set of smaller sizes is only 55$ for all 7 products. The 2 things that will run out the fastest are the cleanser and the walnut scrub and those happen to be the 2 least expensive to buy individually. Even if I had to buy the larger sizes individually it would be worth it.

Sorry this is so long but I wanted to give you a detailed opinion. I hope this is what you're looking for!!

Phoenixib

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Sonya® is the essence of more than just beauty: it is an expression of rejuvenation, admiration and love. Our collection’s formulation of ingredients including aloe vera, fruit extracts, white tea and superior moisturizers give back to your skin. They help to rejuvenate and moisturize your skin like never before.

The Sonya® Skin Care Collection contains five fundamental elements for cleansing, moisturizing, and maintaining overall skin condition and appearance. Aloe Purifying Cleanser, Aloe Refreshing Toner, Aloe Nourishing Serum, Aloe Balancing Cream, and Aloe Deep-Cleansing Exfoliator work together to leave your skin looking fresh and radiant. Indulge in this five-step process, and treat your skin to the luxury it deserves!

DIRECTIONS 

• Cleanse twice daily with Aloe Purifying Cleanser. 
  • Tone and freshen twice daily with Aloe Refreshing Toner. 
  • Apply Aloe Nourishing Serum twice daily. 
  • Apply Aloe Balancing Cream twice daily. 
  • Exfoliate approximately 2 times weekly with Aloe Deep-Cleansing Exfoliator.

The Sonya® Aloe Skin Care Kit includes: 

• Aloe Purifying Cleanser
  • Aloe Refreshing Toner
  • Aloe Nourishing Serum
  • Aloe Balancing Cream
  • Aloe Deep-Cleansing Exfoliator
  • (Products also sold separately.)

mxcx

Hey there!

I'm really glad you're getting interested in investing in your skin! It's never too early to start finding the perfect skincare routine for your skin (and sometimes it takes some trying to figure out which products fit your skin the best).

If your facewash has worked for you until now, I wouldn't fix something unless it's broken. But if you do wear makeup, I would recommend getting a cleanser that's specifically geared towards removing makeup (unless you're using a cleansing oil to take off your makeup first). A lot of people love Philosophy's Purity cleanser: http://www.sephora.com/purity-made-simple-P7109 because it takes off makeup and is pretty gentle on all skin types.

As for toner, it really is up to you. I think it's one of those things where you either use it or you don't. I personally have always used toner, but I know plenty of people who think it's useless and don't use it and their skin seems fine. If you have dry skin, I would recommend a moisturizing, balancing toner with hyaluronic acid because it helps lock moisture in on the surface of your skin. For specific products I'm not so sure because I have really oily skin, so I haven't been drawn to too many hydrating toners.

Creams and moisturizers would basically be the same thing, but if your skin is on the drier side, I would go with creams over a lotion because they are thicker and can moisturize better. If you're not prone to breakouts, you can look into something that has hydrating oils in it (but stay away from mineral oil because that can really clog pores) or go oil-free. 

I'd also recommend an eye cream. Because you're just starting out, you could try Clinique's All About Eyes: http://www.sephora.com/all-about-eyes-P122774?skuId=126581 because it basically covers all the eye concerns in one. I also like Shiseido's White Lucent Eye Cream: http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=white%20lucent%20eye%20cream&skuId=1408145&...

Both of these aren't too heavy and have a fantastic feel to them. 

For your blackheads, I'd really really recommend investing in a good exfoliator (or two). I really like Kate Somerville's ExfoliKate, which is basically a microscrub and a gentle peel in one: http://www.sephora.com/exfolikate-intensive-exfoliating-treatment-P232915?skuId=1201748

Make sure you follow the directions on the package though because it can be a little harsh if you're just starting out with exfoliators. Don't overuse, and you'll be fine. It'll also help with the dead skin cells so you won't be as prone to blackheads, as well as slough off any dry patches you might have.

If you're looking to invest in serums, that'd be completely up to you. They can be very beneficial towards anti-aging, but personally I think you could wait until your mid-20s unless you have other pressing skin concerns (such as hyperpigmentation or scarring) that you want to address. 

And most importantly, invest in a good SPF! This will really help your skin in the long run, especially in terms of premature aging and sun damage. I don't know what skintone you have, but if you're fairer, you should invest in a higher SPF than if you're more olive-toned. There's a broad range of SPFs that Sephora carries, and a lot of them are really good. I personally like Shiseido's Ultimate Sun Protection Cream: http://www.sephora.com/ultimate-sun-protection-cream-broad-spectrum-spf-50-for-face-P173669?skuId=14... 

or a lighter version, the Sun Protection Lotion: http://www.sephora.com/ultimate-sun-protection-lotion-broad-spectrum-spf-50-for-face-body-P173670

Hope this helped!

kelsihoneybee

(0) Hearts

that was so so much help, seriously thank you so much!

miabt

(0) Hearts

I completely agree that it is never too early to begin proper skin care!  Since you're starting fresh, I'd suggest going with a starter set, since majority of lines are designed to work together.  A few of my favorites are the Philosophy Great Skin is In, First Aid Beauty FAB Daily Dose Set and the Clinique Great Skin Home & Away Kit.  All of them are perfect for your skintype :smileyhappy:

Philosophy - Great Skin Is In™ Deluxe Set for Normal/Combination Skin

http://bit.ly/12M9YZw

First Aid Beauty - FAB Daily Dose Set

http://bit.ly/WuQzd8

Clinique - Great Skin Home & Away Set

http://bit.ly/17ZzFbb

You can also visit your local Sephora & try out a few samples before committing to full sized products :smileyhappy:  Hope that helps!

xo, Mia

mxcx

No problem, glad you found it helpful! (: I know all these different brands and formulations can be overwhelming when you first start off, but I promise it gets less confusing as time goes on. Be sure to do your research though, and really listen to your skin to see what it likes or doesn't like. 

The other thing is that I know a lot of skincare Sephora and department stores carry is really expensive, but most of it is pretty high-quality stuff, and I really think it makes a difference in high-end versus non high-end. If I had to choose one thing to spend my money on, it'd definitely be skincare. 

Good luck, and I hope you find the perfect routine for your skin! ((:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • miabt
    • mxcx
    • kelsihoneybee
    • Phoenixib
    • EllePerryy