Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin

RN needs routine :D

Hi all! I am 28 and an RN. I recently changed departments and now work in the operating room, (No windows, dry/cold air). As a result, my skin has started having more breakouts and uneven color. I have been blessed with relatively good skin (combination I think), and with the exception of a few breakouts around my menstrual cycle I have had to do very little to keep clear skin. As a result, I know NOTHING about a skin care regimen. I know at this point I should start thinking about anti aging products but have no idea where to start. Any suggestions for an AM/PM routine that won't cost more than my mortgage would be appreciated!

Re: RN needs routine :D

Fellow RN here!!!! I LOVE Origins A perfect world with spf 25 for the daytime and at "night" (which I say "night" as I work 7p-7a) Origins night a mins moisturizer super hydrating.

For cleanser I use Murad AHA/BHA cleanser it has little scrubby beads but they are so fine I have never had an issue even using my Clarisonic with it. I use this when I have no makeup. If I have a lot of make up to come off Origins Checks and Balances cleanser. A little goes an insane long way and it takes my makeup off beautifully and does not leave my skin stripped or oily.

Hey fellow RN!!!!

Maybe try a super hydrating moisturizer..I like philosophy hope in a jar with SPF and the Belif moisturizing bomb (I use the Neogen SPF prior to putting this moisturizer on bc unfortunately it doesn't contain SPF in it.) Maybe try using a mask at night as well. This may help to renew and recover your skin from work and get it prepped and ready for the AM. I like the origins intense hydration mask...its 28 bucks and you get a good amount considering you may not use it everyday. If you already have clear skin the main goal would prob just be hydration and preventing the aging process as much as you can lol..I also like to mix a couple drops of oil with my moisturizer if my skin is really dry! Theres Josie Maran argan oil, Fresh Seaberry oil, and the drunk elephant virgin marula oil..My personal fave has been the drunk elephant marula oil...most bang for your buck is the Fresh seaberry oil! good luck OR RN!!

@PattieAnnFlan, since you have a busy schedule and are blessed with good skin genes, I would recommend a simple yet effective skincare routine!

(1a) Cleanser: Since dryness is your main concern, consider a non-foaming cleanser! pH of cleansers are surprisingly important in the effectiveness of your overall skincare and Sephora sells some good pH 5.5 and under cleansers such as:

Soy Face Cleanser by Fresh

Purity by Philosophy (has parabens though)

Ceramic Slip by Sunday Riley

(1b) Exfoliating: Every so often you probably need an extra cleanse! AHA/BHA chemical exfoliating is common. I found that the easiest way to get my acid actives is through the Alpha Beta Peels by Dr. Dennis Gross. They come in various strengths. 

Wait 20-30 minutes after to get the actives' full effects 🙂

(2) Toner: Since the pH of your skin is already balanced by the cleanser, I recommend going with a toner to amp up the hydration. An essence could even work in place of this step in my opinion. 

(3) Serums: You would include your anti-aging and other goodies here. Here are a few common ingredients that people look for:

Niacinamide*

Vitamin C*

Retinol

*do not use Niacinamide and C together—people usually opt for C in the AM and niacinamide in the PM

(3) Moisturizer: I second the Belif moisturizers recommendation. I use them daily and I switch it up between the Moisturizing Bomb (winter) and the Aqua Bomb (summer). I personally love the texture of the Aqua Bomb—it's more gel like and hydrating. The Moisturizing Bomb is more thick and creamy. 

(4) Oils and Eye Cream (optional; would probably be best at PM): I am not familiar with many oils or eye creams 😞

(5) SPF (broad spectrum!!)

I love the formula of UV sun fluid SPF 30 by Dr Jart but it's only SPF 30.. so it isn't the best recommendation. 

Another water gel-like sunscreen: 

I would recommend Aqua Rich UV SPF 50/PA++++ by Biore (Amazon); it's more affordable anyway!

I think this routine is simple enough to not be so overwhelming and covers the basics!

I would definitely recommend a moisturizer because of the dry/cold air. I have really enjoyed using the ones in the belif line and they have quite a few for different skin types. I have dry skin so I use the Moisturizing Bomb, but for combination skin I would recommend the Aqua Bomb or this one below - I haven't tried this one yet but it's supposed to be a lighter moisturizer than the ones I mentioned and it's priced very well (4.22 oz for 38$ whereas the others are 1.68 oz for 38$).

http://www.sephora.com/milky-hydra-balancing-moisturizer-P394637?skuId=1686393

http://www.sephora.com/the-true-cream-aqua-bomb-P394639?skuId=1686427

I have used the aqua bomb before and think the texture is very nice but the price point is higher. 

I would definitely recommend using a SPF for the drive to work as sun damage will make your skin tone worse, as well as a serum with hydroquinone and another one with retinol to combat current damage. Unfortunately I have no product picks for these as I am still trying to find ones that work for myself but I'm sure other people will recommend ones they like, and you can check out the reviews before buying. The serums are usually the priciest part of the skin care regime but if you find one that works it will be worth it. 

Other steps in skin care are cleansing, exfoliating, masking, and toning, but I would say cleansing is the only really essential one of those if you are just starting out and the others can be added in later. 

Edit: And eye cream! I forgot about that. That's one of the more essential steps and usually a more expensive one but since you are in your 20s a light anti-aging one would be fine - the 15ml tubes also last 6-12 months so you won't need to replenish often.

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing