Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin

Desperately need a new routine!

I'm in my 30's and need to update both my AM and PM routine but I feel overwhelmed looking through all of Sephora's products and reading reviews.  I have combination/normal skin and my main concerns are anti-aging and fine lines - I want to make sure I'm doing what I can now to prevent these in the future.  I was also looking at getting a new cleanser (Boscia Black Cleanser) and was wondering if it's recommended?  Any suggestions??

Re: Desperately need a new routine!

Hi @jc83,

There's so much you can look into! There's definitely a lot of things I could recommend, but like @Harpier82 mentioned, if you could let us know if you were combination-dry or combination-oily that'd be awesome! 

For morning I'd recommend: 

Cleanser

Toner

Essence (optional but I do like this step!)

Moisturizer

SPF 

For evening I'd recommend: 

Cleanser

Exfoliator (Two or three times a week)

Toner

Essence/Face Mask (depending on what kind of mask you can do every day, two or three times, etc.)

Serum 

Eye Cream

Moisturizer

XOXO,
Marieke

Thank you @MariekeBT and @Harpier82 for your responses and suggestions!  I'm combination-oily and as for budget, I'm not looking to spend on super high-end products but more along the lines of $20-80 range.

@jc83, oh I'm the same! I've linked below to a bunch of products that you may like. Some of them are my favorites like the Neogen sunscreen and the Sephora Collection face masks. (:

XOXO,
Marieke

Yeah, skincare can be overwhelming.  Unfortunately, a lot of the possible recommendations are heavily dependent on not only your skin type (combination-dry or combination-oily?) but your budget, especially when you're talking anti-aging benefits.  That said, I'm also in my 30s, currently addressing anti-aging and prevention of fine lines, with combination-oily skin, so we might have a lot of overlap.

In addition to whatever makeup remover, cleansing wipe, or oil cleanser you use to break down and take off your makeup, I'm currently using Origins Plantscription Anti-aging Cleanser.  It's difficult to tell any immediate anti-aging effects, but it is a beautiful, gentle water-based cleanser.  But I won't be shy about trying others once I finish this one off.  (I have an Algenist cleanser in the wings.)

I also use a balancing toner to re-establish my skin's pH.  Fresh Black Tea Age-Delay Instant Infusion Treatment Toner is really nice, but my favorite is the Dior Gentle Toning Lotion with Velvet Peony Extract.  If these are a bit pricey, Origins also has some very fine toners, including an Age-defense one with White Tea.

For the most part, your anti-aging skincare budget should be targeted at moisturizers and serums, since these are the most effective steps.  At the higher end (for Sephora), Sunday Riley Good Genes All-in-One Lactic Acid Treatment is really excellent at purifying the skin and addressing fine lines.  I'm also a fan of the Algenist GENIUS line of products, especially their moisturizer and eye cream.  Again, the Origins Plantscription serum is very nice, but their face oil is better, which I use as a final step.

As for eye creams, I'm still not fixed on one, though regularly including one for the last five or six years has helped significantly.  However, I also strongly recommend using occasional eye gels or masks.  My favorite are the Skyn Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels, but there are others.  The Klorane and Karuna have some very nice ones.  As does Peter Thomas Roth, which I've tested but never purchased.

Speaking of masks, nothing in my routine has made my skin look visibly more youthful immediately than the GlamGlow Gravitymud mask.

Currently, I'm also using a targeted wrinkle cream on my forehead: Skyn Iceland Angelica Line Smoother.  I've only been using it for about two weeks, but the results are already visible.  How durable they are has yet to be determined.

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing