Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin
|

Anyone else find it hard to stick with ALL the skincare steps morning/night?

Hello, I have noticed a HUGE difference in my skin since I have religiously stuck to my skincare regime for the past 5 days or so but does anyone else sometimes feel it hard to do so? I know many of you have families and such/work etc and are tired at the end of day or even get busy in the morning. For myself I've been experiencing a lot of pain due to my disability and and at the end of the day I just am about beat. lol But let me tell you my new years resolution has become stick to my skincare regime because I feel like I look amazing! My skin looks brighter/feels smoother/almost no breakouts. And yes I know some of you are like duh but who else feels the struggle with me?

Re: Anyone else find it hard to stick with ALL the skincare steps morning/night?

I do have a routine, but its totally worth it. I have CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) so most nights, I use a cleansing wipe to wash/take makeup off because I'm exhausted before bed. I've gotten into cleansing micellar water too. So far, so good for me. I try to take good care of my skin, to ward off aging and have a nice base for makeup to go on 🙂

Re: Anyone else find it hard to stick with ALL the skincare steps morning/night?

Hi @AmyC,

I love this conversation. I see makeup and skincare as self care, a way to take care of myself. When I see it as self care, it's about taking time for myself which is something I can look forward to. I think a lot of women see skincare as a chore that is boring and not fun. I think we should look forward to our skincare routines. Obviously if your routine is a 20 step Korean skincare routine, nobody has time for that everyday lol. It's really about doing the best we can to take care of ourselves. Sometimes that means sleeping in my makeup after a long night out (I know, I know, that's bad). Sometimes that means using 3 face masks and deep cleaning my skin. 

Stay Gorgeous,

Penelope

Anonymous Insider

I totally hear ya – the struggle is real! Finding a routine that works for your skin and sticking to it nets some amazing results, no surprise. But, yes, there are just some days/nights when it is really hard to stick to the routine. This happened off and on to me recently, after being really good with a routine for 3-4 months. I’d have on week where I’d stick to it like before and then the next week, I’d be lucky if I could stick to it for half the week. My skin suffered. But it caused me to pause a bit and think about ways to effectively address those times when I still want an effective routine but cannot, for whatever reason, commit to a long one – it’s like going to the grocery store – I’m armed with my shopping list for most of my grocery runs and I work my way through the list, but there are some days when I just need to get in and get out and the express lane is the way to go! Ha! Also, as other members have posted, maybe break up your routine and/or have the products in easy view and reach – seems like either or both of these would make it a lot easier to get it done!

I agree that making it feel more like pampering time (lighting a candle, playing 'spa' music helps).  I ask find it helps not to wait until I'm dog dead tired to do it because often that is the biggest culprit for me so get lazy.  That said, I'm human and sometimes it does happen so I keep some cleansing wipes around that I trust and like so at a minimum I do that and put lotion on my face.  Maybe you can think of a similar back up plan so at a minimum, you do something.

Another thing I find helps is keeping myself organized.  I have a tall cabinet in my bathroom.  I went through everything and grouped like products into categories (i.e. hair, face, body, etc.) and each category of products in its own separate bin.  I also have a set of stackable apothecary jars on the counter where I store my cotton balls, cotton rounds and Q-Tips since I use these so regularly.  Essentially, I've made it as easy as possible to stick to my routine since everything is right at hand.  You could also try getting putting your essentials on pretty tray and keeping it on the counter so it is right at hand.  Basically, I try to do everything I can to eliminate obstacles to compliance!

I used to be so horrible with this up until about 2 years ago. But I have found since doing a morning and evening routine,  my skin looks and feels healthier.  In the morning it's just a part of my getting ready process before applying makeup or even if no makeup at all. In the evening I used it as my "me" time. Plus I feel likeep washing my face and putting my beauty oils and creams on leaves me feeling refreshed, relaxed and ready for bed. Stick to it ladies...your skin will thank you 10 20 30 years down the road. Not to mention we all need a little "me" time. 💄😊

Yes, I'm horrible with this. In the morning, I'm good a few days out of the week; the other days I just am scrambling. At night, as soon as I hit the bed I'm out like a light! I have to wash my face as soon as I get home from work, and start my regime early or else I won't do it. My sleepiness creeps on me too...one minute I'm wide awake, the next, I'm exhausted lol.

I always usually end up taking the  majority of my makeup off while downstairs at night with my daughter and husband with a Koh Gen Do spa wipe (those things are AMAZING at getting off even waterproof makeup.  Our ritual at bedtime at this point is to take Ashley upstairs to bed, then while Dan puts her to sleep, I use my Algenist Genius Cleanser to make sure all of my makeup is off and do my skincare before bed.  I was lucky enough to get good genes from my parents that I don't really break out if at all, but my dry skin can definitely tell if I miss the morning or night routine.  Ashley usually watches me in the morning or with the cleansing wipes downstairs while I do it, so hopefully washing her face and putting on sunscreen won't be too much of an issue when she gets older.

Not really. I usually do my night routine before I get comfortable for the night. So if I know I'm going to watch TV with my boyfriend before bed, I'll wash my face and do my thing before we settle down. That way when I go upstairs for bed I can't use "I'm too tired" as an excuse because it's already done. 

I don't break my routine because I have rosacea so leaving on makeup or forgetting to moisturize can be a major setback. I did realize that I got much better at night when I didn't wait until immediately before going to bed.  Many times, I don't go to sleep until I'm absolutely exhausted and then it's harder to take 5 or 10 minutes to deal with my skin. Instead, I'll do my routine when I feel like it, up to an hour before bedtime that way I'm not too tired yet and have no excuses! 

Every night, I always remove any makeup that I'm wearing and go through my whole routine. Other than the makeup issue, I know that it's more important to stick with a routine (especially a thorough cleansing) in the night than it is in the morning. But I must confess that sometimes I haven't been sticking to my night routine.

The main reason is that I have very sensitive skin and have been dealing with product irritations for several months, so that a break at night now and then has actually helped my skin irritations clear up a bit. This is because my skin is so hypersensitive in certain areas that products that would normally help and that usually don't bother my skin have become irritating anyway. So not following the routine sometimes has actually given my skin some well-needed breaks.

I like to vary what I use too, so that I alternate between several different cleansers, and a couple different toners, serums and moisturizers, so that missing now and then is a form of alternating to me.

I realize that I'm in the minority here. I do believe that when dealing with major skin issues (acne, rosacea, etc.) that following a routine is a must. But with sensitive skin, I'm finding that following routine is not so important (and may, in fact, be a source of irritation, even if using the same products that always have worked in the past).

For me, my morning routine is easy. It's the nighttime that is tough - I'm always so tired! It's hard enough to remember to remove my makeup!

It IS hard! I love getting great products and think I have the absolute best stuff for my skin type and needs, but some nights I'm too tired to go through the routine and I have to force myself to take my makeup off. I also get paranoid when I have AHAs or Retinol on. 

I know it sounds lazy but I work long days and have nothing left sometimes at the end of the day.

It doesn't sound lazy at all. We work insanely hard, then you add a commute, and various household responsibilities when you get home. It's not a surprise that we want to just pass out. 

I've been following  my routine for so long it's not an issue. I am having issues teaching my daughter to follow my lead. Tips are welcome!

I'm going to assume she's in her early teens. I'd maybe try having her read a few Top Shelf features on the blog Into the Gloss. Maybe find a few of her favorite celebrities or some of your favorite celebs who feature good skincare routines. People write about their beauty regimens and some of them are quite good, and a lot of people there attribute their good skin to always following a routine. I'd probably pre-screen them, however, or read them with her, as some are just full of the products that the celeb sponsors or bad advice.

She is in her early teens. Good guess. And good advice. Thanks! I'll try it.

I used to find it hard most of the time, but now I view it as not optional, and I think about how I want my skin to look/feel vs how it does feel when I miss so much as one night.  My morning routine is much less so that is usually not as tempting to want to break, its the makeup steps that Ill skip in the morning vs skincare.  But yes, I def feel you on being beat at night, but Id rather skip something else than my skincare.

My skincare routine, yep, I'm good about that, I'm on retinol so sunscreen is a must, and I figure, if I'm spending all this money on skincare products, I want the best chance of them actually working.

My thinning hair product, on the other hand, which needs to be used twice a day, is hard to remember. Don't know why, but I forget it either morning or night, at least once a week.

I don't only because I have very problem skin, so I'm very scared to miss my steps!  I have morning and night prescriptions for my acne, and for the first time in many years my skin is looking great.  I also live in Hawaii and am very fair, so sunscreen is a must for me.  I refuse to miss a day of it.  At night, I have my skincare things by my bed and I apply them while I read.  I find it relaxing to read right before bed since I've heard that the light from TVs, computers, and phones can keep you up (I already have sleep issues!), so it's just my routine now.

I used to not anymore.

Before I felt like I was doing a "chore" and I used to hate it.

Now I see it as a pampering session.

Nothing better then coming home lighting a candle and getting my "routine" done.

After a long day a warm flannel on my face feels great!

Also, the pay off is having good skin and that doesn't hurt either 😉

I still have those days but I try to snap out of it ASAP 

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
testing