Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Combination Skin
|

Skincare help!

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had some skincare suggestions. I am fairly new to the world of skincare and I really want to work towards more radiant skin. I have sensitive and combination skin. I also have some acne problems, but those aren't my main priority at the moment. I was looking into some of Sephora Collection's cleansers and was wondering how those are. Also, how is the Urban Decay Hot Springs Hydrating Gel and would it work alone as a moisturizer? If you have any suggestions or tips, I would really appreciate the help!

Thank you!

Re: Skincare help!

the beauty water is a must have in my opinion, you can use it as a cleanser/toner.

Hi! I have sensitive skin as well and i use the clinique liquid mild face wash, followed by a toner from clinique ,and then the nurture me moisturizing creme by OleHenriksen. I've very prone to breakouts and this routine has significantly cut those breakouts down as well as giving you a hydrated look. I hope this is helpful!!

Anonymous Insider

Keep it simple. Cleanse with a gentle cleanser. (Youth Fo...

Keep it simple. Cleanse with a gentle cleanser. (Youth For the Peaple) Treat with a serum. (FAB) Moisturize with something yummy. (belif)

@DramaticBeauty

Why do you think you have sensitive skin?  Most people assume they have sensitive skin, but they don't.  It is an important distinction because the products, processes and routines are much more restrictive.

@greenchili
Thank you so much for the recommendations, I always appreciate new product suggestions. I will definitely check those out and add some of those into my skin care routine.
-DramaticBeauty

@DramaticBeauty

You can do gentle products without categorizing your skin as sensitive. I promise you, you are limiting yourself to very few products when you say sensitive.

In fact, I would say that gentleness has nothing to do with it. When you categorize your skin correctly, you can use the most appropriate products for your skin. Harsh products are not good fro anyone, but correct products are.

Dehydrated skin is vulnerable, weak, and reactive. You might really have just dehydrated skin. It is susceptible to acne and infections. Oily skin in many ways provides a barrier to the elements. Harsh products can create a mess - sorry you had to go through that.

What you need is not a gel moisturiser. You need creams and oils.

Use a cream cleanser in the AM - Ren Evercalm Cleansing milk is good.

At night, use a balm or oil as a cleanser. Or use a remover like Clinique Take the day off, follow that up with a second cleanse with Ren.

Add in acid exfoliation to your routine twice a week. This is the most effective tool to clear and radiant skin IMO. Dr. Dennis Gross alpha beta peels pads (or the ultra gentle to start slow), FAB Radiance pads, or Pixi Glow tonic. They are all well formulated products. You can start twice a week and then build up after a few days to more regular usage as you see fit. The DDG regular pads have retinol in them too which will be beneficial.

Use an oil or cream and oil at night to hydrate. There are many oils at Sephora. I suggest you get samples to see what suits you. Fresh, Caudalie, Clarins, Tata Harper, Pixi, NUDE....there are many.

@greenchilli

Hello, I consider my skin sensitive due to the reactions that my skin has had to both makeup and skin care products through the years. I used to use harsher products that made me break out, have some redness and irritation, and it left my skin really dry. I know that this isn't typically considered sensitive skin, but I prefer gentle products to avoid irritation as much as possible. My skin has recently gone from one extreme to the other with the way that it looks and it has been a lot more sensitive to different products. I used to have super oily skin and now it is really dry and it doesn't respond well to a lot of products. I hope that this answered your question!
-DramaticBeauty

@DramaticBeauty I recommend exfoliation for more radiant skin.  I like Philosophy Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash (it's supposed to also be a cleanser, but I think it cleanses very well) for mechanical exfoliation.  For chemical exfoliation, BHA is great; only Paula's Choice makes good ones.

I suffered from severe acne from my early 20s to early 30s. My goal was to get to a point where I didn't have to wear make up. Now I can go out with very little make up. If you're going to up your skin care game, you really need to make sure you're cleansing your skin properly. Getting the Clarisonic Mia was a game changer for me. I use it with Peter Thomas Roth cleansers and I get my skin really clean without over drying it giving me the base I need to add my skincare on top of.upload_4767541991828673853.jpgupload_1072205556337140299.jpg

I've never tried Sephora Collection cleansers altho the moisturizers are nice. As for Urban Decay Hot Springs Hydrating Gel, it's basically water + silicone with tiny amounts of hyaluronic acid/collagen (actual skin beneficial ingredients) added in. So it will work great as a primer and provide very basic hydration but if you want something that helps with radiance or hydrate deep in the skin, you might want to check out some vitamin C serum/moisturizers. My personal favorite lightweight moisturizer (that soothes and hydrates well) are Peter Thomas Roth HydraQuench Cloud Cream and Clinique Moisture Surge gel cream moisturizer.

Hi @DramaticBeauty

Once you get into the world of skincare there's really no turning back from the addiction so welcome! hahaha 😄 

I personally really like a lot of the Sephora Collection skincare products! They've definitely taken me by surprise and in a good way. If you're not already I'd recommend doing a double cleanse. The first step can be an oil, wipe, or water (really up to you!) and really hopes to take that first layer of makeup and dirt off your face. The second layer really helps to get anything remaining off and clean deeper. If you'd like you can also add a third step. 😉 Sometimes I use a cleansing water for my third step if I see that my pesky mascara has still not come off! 

Three products that I would recommend are the Coconut Water SEPHORA COLLECTION
Cleansing & Exfoliating Wipes, SEPHORA COLLECTION Triple Action Cleansing Water, and SEPHORA COLLECTION
Radiance Cleansing Foam.

The Cleansing Wipes in Coconut are great for soothing and relaxing skin. They have a slight scent of coconut and are great for all skin types. They're also extremely easy to take for travel. 

The SEPHORA COLLECTION Triple Action Cleansing Water has a texture ideal for delicate skin. It is suitable for sensitive skin, sensitive eyes, and contact lens wearers and has a soap free formula!

Last but not least, the SEPHORA COLLECTION
Radiance Cleansing Foam is great if you're looking to have more radiant skin. It provides gentle daily exfoliation with AHAs that tighten pores and refine skin texture. 

I haven't used the Urban Decay Hydrating Gel, but maybe someone can chime in here with their experience. I see that it is currently getting great reviews online! You can always see if it's available at your local Sephora store and ask for a sample too. (: 

XOXO,
Marieke
11 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
Photos2
  • upload_4767541991828673853.jpg
  • upload_1072205556337140299.jpg
testing