Answer
WhoAreYou
Skin regimen for combination skin?

Hi everybody, I've been looking at various posts but I want mine to be tailored specifically to me? (Call me selfish haha )

Alright, I am an 18 year old male and I have combination skin. After putting slight moisturizer, my nose will become slightly more oily after a while, and my cheeks and lip area will become dry and even a bit flaky (moreso my cheeks, which to tell you the truth can become a problem since it bothers me a bit). My forehead and under my cheek will be fine unless I touch my face throughout the day.

I have virtually no acne (like no pimples or anything). Just some ingrown hairs from shaving a couple months ago and the casual white head popping up near my brow. If this helps, I'm also asian and my skin is very soft. IF you want, I can post a picture of my face if need be.

What I'm currently on:

Cleanser: Tersaseptic

Day Cream: Nivea Visage light day cream SPF 15

Night Cream: Nivea Visage Regenerating night cream

Exfoliater: Neutrogenia deep clean gentle scrub

Budget: Not a problem... But please try and keep it under $60 for each product IF you can.  

Goal: Looking for that radiant smooth skin and even skin tone.

I've used a sulfur mask I've gotten on a cruise on costa rica. That stuff's legit and makes my skin so smooth.

And I just ran out of a toner from 'Nivea Visage refreshing toner'. I noticed after not using this for two days that my skin actually looked better.

I've been researching for a few hours and honestly, there are just WAY TOO MANY products to choose from. And this is where you experts come in!

I'm looking for a day+night cream, exfoliater, and toner. I'm currently content with my cleanser unless you folks can sway my opinion. If there are other products that I should look into (recently just heard of a night serum?) feel free to tell me about them and what specific product you would recommend.

I sincerely hope you people can lend me a guiding hand in this. Thanks Sephora!

Edit: Posted this yesterday in experts section but got no responses.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 6
WendySea
Answered
(0) Hearts

You should try the Purity cleanser by Philosophy. It's a really nice cleansing wash that balances out most skin types. I really love how soft it makes my skin feel. And you should try skipping out on any toners/astringents. They have a tendency to remove too much oil from the face which leaves the skin trying to overcompensate and then creating too much. This can lead to break outs or the more common result...dry spots. They also increase the aging process on your face. Just a helpful hint I wish someone would have told me ages ago!

As for the other products, I'd try experimenting with a few drugstore brands. I recommend the Positively Radiant line by Aveeno (cleansers and face lotions). Olay also offers a beauty fluid that's a nice light face cream (I like to use it as make up remover). Don't get too caught up in expensive products for your face. Most of the ones I've tried work just as well as drugstore brands.

swanbeauty
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have combo skin too... and these are products I have used and loved.

For a toner, I absolutely love L'Occitane's Immortelle Brightening Water.  It is alcohol free, and just really soothes my face, and it smells awesome.  I was against toner until I found this one.

The best lotion that I have ever found it by Origins, Dr. Weil Mega-Mushroom Face Serum.  It smells a little wierd (just kind of natural, but not off putting), but is light on the skin and seems to absorb where you need it without leaving your skin oily or greasy.  Just plain awesome.

At night, I use L'Occitane Immortelle Brightening Essence - this is a very light serum, which works like nothing else I have ever tried.  I swear by this stuff.

Hope this helps some.  Good luck!

PBergeson
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi!

First of all, kudos for you for wanting to improve your skin regime. 

I also have combination skin (oily on my t-zone, and some dry patches around my lips/cheeks).

One of the biggest rules of all is: never touch your face. Anytime you do, you're pushing dirt/oil into your pores, causing them to clog and this leads to breakouts. 

You need:

1) A good cleanser. 

Look at cleansers that are made specifically for combination skin. It doesn't have to be expensive, but you do want it to have good ingredients that aren't harsh so they don't irritate your skin. Murad is a great brand, Fresh is another one. Since it sounds like you don't have many breakouts, you can start with something sutle like Fresh Soy Cleanser which moisturizes as it cleanses without removing your skin's natural oils. Remember to never overwash, as this will basically tell your skin, "Hey! Your oils are being stripped away!" Making your skin create even more oil. 

2) Use a toner.

Just to remove any dirt that is left. I love using Bioderma Cleansing Water (Sebium kind--for oily skin). It isn't harsh at all. Put some on a cotton pad and gently rub it all over your face and neck. Yes! Don't forget the neck area. This product is amazing. It even contains ingredients that control the production of sebum (oil).

3. Moisturize

Find an oil free moisturizer. If you find a gel kind, great (because you have oily skin). I know you must be confused because there are many brands out there! And I could recommend you some, but everyone's skin is different. So what may work for me, may not work for you. I really like Ole Henriksen's Truth Creme. It has amazing ingredients that are anti-aging and even antioxidents to protect you from harsh environmental factors. Just remember: oil free is what you're looking for.

4. Exfoliate

Once a week if you're using a physical exfoliant. I personally like chemical exfoliators the most. So I use glycolic acid (don't let the word scare you--you can google it, it's amazing!) every night; 8%. It strips away any dead cells and regenerates new ones. It will leave your face looking younger and feeling smoother. This leads me to another BIG, and probably the most important step in your regime. Remember not to over-exfoliate either. This can make your skin sensitive/dry/even oilier because you're taking away the skin's natural oils.

5. Use a sunscreen daily

It doesn't matter if its cloudy, or if you're in your house, class, work, etc. If light is hitting you, you're getting UV/UVA rays. This can lead to premature aging, skin-cancer (worst case scenario, etc). But if you decide to use a glycolic acid gel, you HAVE to use a sunscreen every single day. And even if you're not, you still should. I recommend La Roche Posay's Athelios 50+ Fluid sunscreen. It's light, and not noticeble (so you won't have that ghost look). Always, always protect your skin from the sun!!!

PS: There are daily moisturizers which cointain SPF, but aren't usually very strong. I would suggest you put sunscreen with high SPF to make sure your skin is being protected. And remember: sunscreen is always applied first.

6. Use a night moisturizer

You don't have to spend more money on this if you don't want to, since you can basically use the same moisturizer you do during the day. I do this. 

I hope I was able to help you. 

xoxo,

Patricia

Manda
Answered
(0) Hearts

So I have a few questions for you, in which I am probably thinking way too out of the box for most people.  When you say a cream, do you want something to moisturize your face or what?  There are a lot of face "creams" out there and by directing us to what sort of cream you are looking for, it will help out. Now, if this cream is a moisturizer, I would suggest you stay away from it.  Creams are mainly used to dry skin and, because yoru skin is combo, I would be afraid it would make it oilier.  A lotion would be best for your skin type.  

Also, for the toner, is there a specific kind you are looking for?  Toners come in alchohol-free or with alcohol in it.  It's all based on personal preference however, this migth help you get some more answers to your question.

thecaramelapple
Answered
[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Well, considering I have skin very similar to yours, perhaps you could hit bank if you gave my skin routine a try! I know everybody's skin is different but my skin seems to be on the sensitive side and is very picky about what I use on it. It may seem like a bit much, but considering from your old routine you seem to be just into skincare as I am =) I also had some issues with lack of radiance and I had a tad discoloration from previous acne scars that I always wanted to wear makeup. This routine has saved my skin and I can now go anywhere without a stitch of makeup and feel completely confident. 

Cleanser AM/ PM: Lancome Creme Radiance Cleanser : It is very gentle and feels like a spa treatment. I adore what it does for my skin. My skin is also combo so  I need something that is going to not overcleanse it but cleanse it effectively. this does the trick.

Exfoliator: Origins Microdermabrasion Scrub: It smells earthy and exfoliates with rice. I love it so much.

Serum: Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Serum: this has given my skin a good glow as well as keep my acne at bay. I payed $52 dollars for a 1 oz bottle, but it really will last you forever so it comes out to be inexpensive in my opinion

Moisturizer: Olay Regenerist Microsculpting Cream Fragrance Free: I was bopping around Target and bought this. Don't think it sculpts anything nor do I care because I'm only 20..but it contains a marine derived peptide.. and peptides are good for keeping the skin radiant. This keeps my combo skin balanced. It's around $20. 

Toner: La Roche Posay Minerale Spray: I use this as a toner. It's just a water spray rich in the mineral selenium. It prevents my skin from drying out if I overcleansed because overcleansing kick starts oil. It balances my skin for moisturizer.

Serum: Roc Multi Correxion Skin Renewing Serum: I use this 3 times a week instead of my Estee Lauder. You can buy it at CVS and it truly is fantastic and department store worthy. It's main ingredient is Vitamin A, or Retinol..and it stings when you put it on so you feel its working. Retinol is good for tons of skincare issues...acne..aging..clogged pores...everything. It truly is a miracle product. If I suggest anything from this whole list of products it truly is this serum. Put it in your routine and you will notice a difference in a week tops. Better than any expensive Shiseido serum I tried. It is around $20 dollars but a pure bargain for what it does and it's easily accessible since you can buy it at CVS.

PM: Olive Oil: I use a tad bit of olive oil at night on my skin to seal in all the skin goodies I put. It's loaded with antioxidants and helps soothe and brighten the complexion.

Let me know how the skincare hunt goes for you... just had to mention again for you that the Korres Yogurt Cleanser is amazing.

shawnanthony
Answered
(0) Hearts

Ok, this is a definate answer to your question, that if you listen to, you will not regret, but be addicted to! Try AmorePacific! Buy a one of the kits Sephora carries or you can buy each product by itself. Pricing is around the area your looking to, but the product will last you longer then you expect. I cannot endorse this line enough.

Question Stats
  • 6 answers
  • 1 heart
  • 7 in conversation
    • thecaramelapple
    • Manda
    • swanbeauty
    • WhoAreYou
    • shawnanthony
    • WendySea
    • PBergeson