Answer
ineszt
MAJOR SKIN PROBLEMS!! please help
(0) Hearts

I have combination skin. Every time I apply foundation by midday it looks like a grease ball and I breakout! I apply foundation after moisturizing with Clinique dramatically different moisturizer (or something like that) before applying my guerlain primer. After, I use one of my many foundations and I vary them from day to day. I dont know why but after about 3-4 hours my skin gets really oily in my T zone (in between my eyebrows, my nose, my chin and cheeks). I have around 1-2 pimples in my chin,4-5 in my cheeks and a good 10-15 pimples between my eyebrows. When I apply foundation in my face, I completely breakout and at night when I remove the days makeup I have twice what I had before and also I forgot to mention that I tend to PEEL where I have pimples and the makeup comes off in those areas. This used to never happen to me and now it has for a couple of months now, any help? Thanks!

P.S: blotting papers just remove my makeup.. they take the grease out but still had the breakouts at night

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 5
elliepiggy
Answered

Your skin sounds like mine. If it is anything  like mine, you have dehydrated skin. Not DRY skin, but DEHYDRATED. Dry skin is low in oil production, dehydrated skin has a low water content.

When the water level of your skin is low, your oil glands over produce oil to try and protect your skin (hence the oiliness). DON'T use harsh cleansers, toners with alcohol or moisturizers that are oil based. It will do nothing for your skin.

I use:

* rose water as a toner (take a quarter-sized amount in your plams and pat it into your skin rather than use it with cotton. Repeat about 5 times until your skin feels plump),and

* Juju cosmetics' hyaluronic acid gel cream as moisturizer (you can get this from ebay. Cheaper and more effective than Clinique's Moisture surge)

Also, I tend to 'peel' much less when I use tinted moisturizer. Might be worth a shot! :smileyhappy:

Good luck!

makeupmonger
Answered

Try using a lighter moisturiser than the Clinique one, and switch your primer from Guerlain to a lighter one with a focus on oil free or a mattifying.  A great all day foundation to wear would be the Diorskin "Forever Foundation" set with a light powder and treat your breakouts at night with an item like "Eradikate" frome Kate Sommerville.  Take a look at your skin care routine and make sure you are exfoliating enough and add a clay based mask to your routine at least once a week.   Good Luck!

thecaramelapple
Answered

Hi Dear,

This is going to sound like a weird suggestion, but it actually does wonders and will solve all your skincare issues. Wait for it, Wait for it: Oatmeal. Yeah, I know it sounds bizare, but the calming properties of oatmeal soothe and clean the pores much like using Aloe Vera on a bad burn. How do you use it? Grab a handful of oatmeal and make a fist, Then, let the water run through it to soften the oats. Use the white milky substance and apply it to your face, then gently buff the oatmeal into your skin and rinse. Your skin will feel much softer, and it will calm all of your pimples and balance the skin. Not to mention, the soft oats and gentle enough for everyday use and get rid of the clogged pores and dead sebum on the skin. Try it for me, I'm sure your love it. And, for another suggestion so we keep this strictly Sephora, have you ever tried Origins Balanced Diet Moisturizer? It will help balance the oil in your skin a lot better. Yeah, but try the oatmeal as a cleanser instead of your regular cleanser for a few weeks. I'm sure your skin will thank you.

projill
Answered

You have some great advice from the other Beauties that posted- you may very well have dehydrated skin and should use something with hyaluronic acid to bind moisture to your skin.  I recommend trying Sephora Instant Moisturizer since it has Hydrasenn + and absorbs well into you skin.  It is great under foundations too.

Definitely exfoliating will help as well.  The best would be to use a Clarisonic, but I do understand that it is an investment.  If you can't spend the money on a Clarisonic, try something like Kate Somerville Exfolikate Acne to scrub away dead skin and eliminate pore clogging oils and dirt.

You may also want to switch primers to something for oily skin like Hourglass Veil Primer or Smashbox Photofinish Primer Light.  These are great at absorbing excess oils and keeping makeup on all day.

Last, try using a foundation that is longer wearing and set it with an oil free powder.  If you want a lot of coverage, try either Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet foundation or Clinique Acne Solutions Foundation.  Set it with a translucent setting powder like Cover FX Translucent Powder which is great for sensitive skin that is prone to break outs.

I hope you find a solution to your makeup dilemma and let me know if I can do anything else to help you.

Happy Holidays,

xoxo

Jill

cherrybombtastic
Answered
(0) Hearts

What kind of cleanser do you use? Try using a cleanser with salicylic acid and/or glycolic acid, such as Dermadoctor's Ain't Misbehavin' AHA/BHA cleanser. Other good cleansers for acne-prone skin people who get dry patches include REN's ClearCalm 3 Anti-Blemish cleanser. I've tried Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion before and I didn't like it. Have you tried Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing gel? That may help. I know a lot of acne-prone people like it. If not, you can try the moisturizer I use, which is Murad's Skin Perfecting Lotion.

As for the primer you're using, I tried doing a simple search online for the list of ingredients and it was a bit difficult to find, aside from two main ingredients, which are alcohol and silica. Alcohol can be drying and silica can clog pores, so I'm not sure how long have you been using this product, but maybe the side effects are now showing up.

Lastly, you never mentioned the foundation you use, but it is best to stay away from foundations containing bismuth or cornstarch because they can cause acne. I use Everyday Minerals in GLO base and I don't breakout from it, but that's for reference. I think, nowadays, there are a lot of good natural foundations, so try to research as much as possible.

I forgot to ask if you are using SPF. If you are, I would suggest to discontinue for the time being and just wear a hat/sunglasses just until your skin is more balanced.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Question Stats
  • 5 answers
  • 5 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • cherrybombtastic
    • thecaramelapple
    • projill
    • ineszt
    • makeupmonger
    • elliepiggy