deannarp

Is there a way to block these heart party threads?

I'll be a Debbie Downer and say that they're filling up my newsfeed. If I can't block threads, can I block users from appearing in my newsfeed? Just a question. 

superNoah

Re: Is there a way to block these heart party threads?

[ Edited ]

Seconded! I mean, she's being rather positive about it. And, if I do say so myself, I sometimes get a little downed when they're literally every other post on the feed. I mean, I understand its a celebration! That person is very active and thats awesome! But maybe there could be a specific section of postings for them? I tend to be rather distracted, so I skip quickly and I feel like I miss some topics due to my own carelessness. But that's just me. I don't understand why everyone is being so mean. :smileysad:

lucyshnoosy

I agree - she wasn't saying the heart party threads should be eliminated, banned, or deleted.  She wasn't saying that the threads were stupid or not worthwhile.   She is not telling other people what to do, just asking if she can filter the threads out.  The extremely negative reactions seem excessive to me.

emmaclaire

Why is "scroll past them if you don't want to look/be involved in any way" such a terrible suggestion?  It's usually the answer when there's something you don't care about in an online community.  Like in real life.  Just because you don't want to go to a birthday party doesn't mean everyone should stop getting older or stop celebrating it.  Move past it!

lucyshnoosy

It isn't a terrible suggestion, but people *weren't* just suggesting she scroll past.  They were telling her to shut her browser completely, and implying insults.  That seemed over the top. 

neko333

I think it's like this. Let's say there is a parade for either something you may be against or you just aren't interested in. So you take a detour around the first one but then run into a second one and so on and so forth. Finally you just get aggravated because you can't get to your destination and you just give up and go home. You can keep walking but eventually you just don't want to bother with it anymore. 

emmaclaire

But that's not really a valid analogy, because a) this is a completely non-necessary board (unlike walking home, which we can agree is necessary), b) that assumes that heart parties are the only threads that someone isn't interested in (and we get so many duplicate questions, spam, or other threads whose topics don't interest every BT member so would fall into the same category of "detour"), and no one is forcing any BT user to look at the heart parties in any detail.  Yes, you have to scroll past it, but it's not hard to browse the board without clicking on any heart parties.  To me the best analogy is like walking in a city and seeing, at worst, a piece of gum or something on the sidewalk while walking to get an ice cream cone.  You see some gum on the ground, you change your path slightly to avoid it and keep going.  If you see so much gum you think the sidewalks are just too gross, you go back to your apartment and skip the ice-cream for a little while.

neko333

(0) Hearts

So lets assume they are walking to get ice cream then. They can get back to the house just fine. So that solves A. As for B I never assume a question isn't necessary even if it is a duplicate question. Someone wants an answer and wants someone to respond to them directly. That in my mind is what BT is. I'm sure there are other random things on here that people aren't interested in and they scroll over but you have to admit it is excessive. Maybe I like anime, I would like to start a thread on each and every anime I love and would want to talk about. There will be one for Dragon Ball, Kill La Kill, Blue Exorcist, Death Note, just about every single one I can think of. Seeing that there are anime lovers on this thread I'm sure people would participate with me. Then again I could just take all these things since they are all considered anime and put them in one thread as to not bother others. It doesn't have to be anime it could be anything but you get the idea.

spoiledbrat

if only Sephora carried Preparation H.....

lucyshnoosy

Yikes, deannarp was just asking a question.  No need for people to get so touchy.

spoiledbrat

Girl Genius Mary Diva at the ready with the correct answer!  Go Mary! Go Mary! 

marydiva

I like to consider my step by step methods technologically advanced ^.^

dianabt

Hi Deannarp, 

You cannot block "heart parties" from feeds nor users from appearing in your newsfeed. You can block users from contacting you but not their posts etc.  Heart parties are usually in the "off topic" section of our community which is already not included in the main feed of BT. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
klbandy

Hi Diana. Is there any way we can get the threads moved to the off-topic section since they obviously aren't there?

dianabt

Hi klbandy, 

Since this thread is related to "Beauty Talk Support" off to the BT Support boards it goes.. :smileyhappy: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
sparklekai

these used to be in the off topic...the problem is ppl complained that there shouldn't be off topic and the off topic was removed from the main page.  

klbandy

Thank you for answering my question @sparklekai!

veronika23

We have as much right as you do to view what we want on BT.  You don't like it scroll down!  I am so tired of you whinny babies! I think there's more of us who like them anyway!

sarah1317

Way to be completely condescending to someone who is asking a simple question. Take your own advice and scroll down if you don't like it.

klbandy

Why are you attacking me? I'm trying to ask a mod a question. I have nothing against your heart party's! I'm happy you guys are so active and proud of what you have accomplished. More power to you. :smileyhappy: There should just be a separate place, like the off-topic thread, where these should be moved. And I'm not the whinny baby who is attacking random BT lovers. Please respect other peoples thoughts, opinions, and questions. 

marydiva

Um, yes! (: If you don't want to see the heart party threads, here's a step by step way you can fix that.

1. Move your cursor to the top of your screen

2. Slide it over to the far right corner

3. Click the little red "X."

Now that you don't have to see the heart threads, you can't complain about them either, which means the rest of us can enjoy them. Problem solved! 

sarah1317

Well, that was snarky.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 42 replies
  • 170 hearts
  • 25 in conversation
    • emmaclaire
    • spoiledbrat
    • marydiva
    • dianabt
    • sarah1317