How-to: Private Messenger
The Private Messenger allows you to send private notes to other users.You need to be signed in to use the Private Messenger. If you have any new messages, the word “new” will appear under the Private Message link in the black sign-in box with the number of new messages in parenthesis.
If you click on the link, you will be taken to your Private Messages inbox.
To send a Private Message
- Sign in.
- Click the Private Messages Link
- From your Private Messages inbox, click the Compose New Message
- If you have created a Friends List, and you want to send the message to a listed friend, start typing the person’s nickname in the Send to field and the full nickname will appear.
- If you want to send to someone not in your Friend List, type the person's user name in the Send to field.
- Type the subject of your message in the Message Subject field.
- Type the body of your message in the Message Body field.
- Click Send Message at the bottom of the page.
The message will be sent to the other user. The message will also appear in your Sent Messages.
To read a Private Message:
- Sign in.
If you have any new messages, the word “new” will appear under the Private Message link in the black sign-in box with the number of new messages indicated in parenthesis.
- Click the New Link. You will be taken to your Private Messages inbox.
- Click the Subject of the message you want to read. The full message will be displayed.
- After you have read the message, you can click on links to Reply to the message or Delete Message buttons at the bottom of the page.
You can also click on the Add to Friends button to add the sender to your Friends List.
Or, if you don't want this user to send you any more messages, you can click on the Ignore User button to add the person to your Ignore List.
To reply to a Private Message:
- Sign in.
- Click the Messages Link.
- Click the Inbox link.
Your Inbox will be displayed.
- Click the Subject of the message you want to read.
The full message will be displayed.
- Click the Reply link at the bottom of the window.
The Send Message window will be displayed with the Send to and Subject fields pre-populated.
- Enter your message in the Note field.
- Click Send Message.
To delete a Private Message:
While reading a message, you can click the Delete link at the bottom of the window to delete the current message.
While viewing your Inbox, you can delete several messages at once by checking the checkboxes next to the messages you want to delete, then clicking Delete Checked from the Message Options drop down menu
To see Private Messages you’ve sent:
When in the Private Messenger, click the Outbox link to see all the messages you sent to others.
To add Beauty Talk members to your Friends List
Your Friends List has three functions:
If you have entered information on your Personal Profile page, and if you have checked the Friends Only option for Profile Privacy on your Display & Privacy Settings tab, then only people on your Friends List will be able to see your personal information.
Similarly, if you have checked the Friends Only option for Online Status on your Display & Privacy Settings tab, then only people on your Friends List will be able to see when you are online or not.
When you send a message in the Private Messenger, all your friends will appear in a dropdown menu that you can select from. You can then send one of them a message without having to type their user name into the Send to field.
To add a user to your Friends List:
- Go to that user’s profile page by clicking on their avatar.
- In the gray “Contact” box, click “Add to Friends”
To add Beauty Talk members to your Ignore List:
Adding someone to your Ignore List will stop them from being able to send you Private Messages.
To add someone to your Ignore List:
- Sign in.
- Click the Messages Link. The Instant Messenger window will be displayed.
- Click the Find Users link.
- Enter the user's screen name in the Search box.
- Click Search.
- When the user's name is displayed, click the Add to Ignore List link on the same line as the user's name.
You can also click the Add User to Ignore List link in any message the user has sent you to add that person to your Ignore List.
To see who's on your Ignore List, click the Ignore tab in your Private Messenger. You can remove them from your Ignore List if you've changed your mind.