Chloe907

Wishing Sephora sold M.A.C Cosmetics...

I know Sephora would get alot more of money ( as if they didnt already lol)  if they sold MAC ! Anybody else out there wishing for Sephora sold MAC or other brands?

JenBlush

Re: Wishing Sephora sold M.A.C Cosmetics...

I believe having MAC in Sephora would be great for us buyers.. but not for MAC exactly. Sephora often times has discounts and coupons, and MAC NEVER has a discount! And yet people still buy their products. But then again, for being a "high end" product, their prices are on the low end which calls for more clientele! 

Obviously for us who like something MAC makes whether it be their brushes, eye shadows or lipsticks, it would be convenient since we would rack up some more points for us. But i DOUBT that will ever happen. 

viviene23

(0) Hearts

I'm not really a fan of MAC. I own some of their lipsticks and still buy limited edition ones from time to time but the quality is not up to par with truly high end products in my opinion. I have to say though that their color selection is really good. Having said that, I think Sephora should carry(pretty please :smileytongue:) Chanel, Burberry, Jouer or Armani. Unfortunately, I spent more in Nordstrom for those reasons alone. 

Kiki1517

Disagree. I think MAC is overrated. Wish I could return the 5 blushes that I only touched a few times, they're just prettily sitting in my vanity in their lonely Zpalette. Gorgeous colors but cause ridiculous little bumps all over my cheeks & the foundations did horrible things to my skin too. MAC is what made me become a makeup hoarder because I shot right over to Sephora buying up all kinds of things trying to forget about MAC haha! 

ellevee09

Sorry, no, I wouldn't want to see MAC in Sephora. It's a different ball game. :smileywink:

beautylovingirl

@aviscardi- Yeah I agree with that also it probably would take up too much room and maybe boot some of the other lines out.

aviscardi

I think it's also because they have such a huge line it would be too much to fit in a store.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Yes I do wish they sold MAC at Sephora and I know a lot of people do. Basically the thing with that is I don't think either wants to let go of any sort of extra profit they could gain by not being associated with each other. MAC doesn't need Sephora though and Sephora doesn't need MAC so I guess it works out good for both.

makeupmaven

I prefer Make Up For Ever to MAC! Urban Decay/ Illamsaqua also!

keelybt

@Makeupmaven Me tooooo!  Those brands also have a wide selection of colors and are MUCH better quality imo :smileyhappy:

lylysa

There's a whole slew of logistics in that ball game. 

Many times there are different branding houses that handle the cosmetic aspect and even the fragrance aspect of a line, and dependent on the acquisition and partnering with which company, retailers can be limited to just a certain portion of a brands products. MAC is under the parent company of Estee Lauder (in fact, many companies are), though Sephora does carry Estee Lauder, they don't carry MAC specifically.

There are also instances where due to the competitive nature of the beauty world, exclusive deals are inked with vendors and retailers for a line to only be carried at their location.

For example, Calvin Klein is a subsidiary of Coty, both its fragrance and color line is under Coty; however, department stores, and locations like Ulta and Sephora carry the CK perfumes/colognes, while Ulta just got CK color in their stores and Sephora did not.

Cargo Cosmetics used to be carried in full by Sephora; however they were eventually phased out in stores and online, soon after, Ulta picked up the line. When contracts expire or are bought out, that's when other retailers can acquire brands.

Some brands may have stronger ties to retailers in terms of contract length, binding, and regulations, and not to mention, retailers may also offer bigger bucks to be one of the few carrying a brand or even the only one. It wouldn't be wise for a cosmetic/beauty brand who is getting paid $XXX,XXX,XXX by one store to leave and get paid $XXX,XXX and carried by multiple locations no matter how much consumers may want. If a brand is big and powerful enough, they know they can command a consumers dollar regardless of whether they're sold exclusively at one place or at multiple easily accessible locations.

Think of it like this, (example) if MAC were to suddenly be available at Sephora, think of how much money MAC stores themselves would lose out to Sephora. Though MAC is already carried in select department stores, their individual stores often carry full lines, extended stock, and have a larger inventory, still giving it the leg up on their department store counters. If MAC paired with Sephora, it wouldn't just be a killer deal that would have to be inked, MAC would have to take into account how profits need to be shared, whether proper advertisement and dedication can be allowed to the brand, and whether MAC would want to be side by side with competing brands on shelf space in such a close proximity.

Stores like Sephora and Ulta that carry various brands don't just randomly set up shelf space for a line, when a deal is inked, that brand literally pays for as much of that store's space as possible. In other words, the larger the display, the more space dedicated to a line, the more money that company spent to take that spot and keep its products there. When you think of it like that, consider how well MAC does with its own free standing stores, plus its department store counters, and then ask if they need to take out XYZ amount of dollars for minimum shelf space at Sephora. I can tell you right out the gate it wouldn't be wise as MAC is such an extensive line with many promotional segments that there's no way Sephora could wipe out or add enough space to carry it all, and then it falls to thinking, if they can't carry enough product, why carry it at all then?

mafan

Lylysa, thank you so much for this wonderful post. Since you don't work for Sephora at all and defintely not in their business area, I know it doesn't reflect their actual decisions. However, I think it's one of the best posts I've ever read on the fact that this I'd a business, and not just our obsession. 

I am sure that the details are different but that similar concerns come into play when we wish for more Disney/Sephora collections, are happy/sad to see the relationships with OPI and others end or the horrible fact that LORAC is leaving stores and I guess I should be glad that they are still on the website. 

Ultimately,this is a business. It costs on both sides to have lines in the site, both for Sephora (think real estate) and the brand ( think supply and availability)  If business needs are not met, the business does not continue, wherever it is in the supply chain. 

lylysa

[ Edited ]

Your addition is greatly appreciated and wonderful to piece with my original comment! :smileyhappy: Thank you, Mafan!

As much as consumers want things to be a "super happy, everyone and everything goes and gets along with everything" of an environment, it's still very competitive for all these companies. What's crazy is that so many brands are under the same parent companies (even drug store brands and department store/high end brands share the same roof essentially, for example Lancome and Loreal are under the same) and yet it's still so fierce out there in terms of brands marketing to put out the "best" of the best and consumers that stick to and remain loyal and swear by products!

sephoramusthave

I didn't get into MAC until this year (I love their blushes, lipsticks and eyeshadows) but honestly....MAC is EVERYWHERE that I couldn't care less if Sephora carried it. Around me, there are many MAC counters in various malls, as well as a MAC Pro store no more than 20 minutes away from me AND the Cosmetics Company Store carries the line as well (and for a lot cheaper than department stores).

starletta8

This is the best explanation I've seen laid out for a long, long time.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Thank you, Starletta! I'm not sure if it's even 100% accurate as I'm not behind the scenes in Sephora's legal and business department as they strike up deals, but it's what makes the most sense to me as far as companies being on a business forefront!

Meg82

That is an excellent explanation.  Thank you so much!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Thanks, Meg :smileyhappy: I appreciate it!

jellybean917

Wow, lylysa. What a well-thought out explanation! It's completely logical for MAC to stay out of Sephora. Personally, I'd rather not see MAC in Sephora - mainly because MAC is so big.

lylysa

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Jellybean!

As consumers it can be tough sometimes to look at what we love (and love to hoard/collect, I mean c'mon, how many eye shadows, lipsticks, and nail polishes do we REALLY need :smileytongue:) in a very business mind set, but as much as these companies launch products we can't help but grab up, at the end of the day, they're businesses just like any other and their goal is to profit as much as possible, be it through sales, products offered, location, and even marketing.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 39 replies
  • 75 hearts
  • 34 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • keelybt
    • mangosong
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • lovelykatya