danac

Why doesn't Sephora have a reviewer incentive program?

:smileyhappy::smileyhappy:I think it would cool if the more we review and talk on here than the better chances of us getting free samples, testers or even full sized products. Don't get me wrong I love the VIB program but I think this would be a neat way to improve it. They could even give you points for reviewing like 1 review = 10 points. If you do 10 reviews than you get a free 100 point perk. What do you think??? :smileyhappy:

makeupobesessed

Re: Why doesn't Sephora have a reviewer incentive program?

I would love this too. I try to review everything I try. It does take up some time,but I still do it. I hate useless reviews too. I think they also should have a box to tell what color ppl are reviewing. That way I know which colors are goodin case I'm interested in that one.
glamournut

(0) Hearts
I think this is an idea worth pursuing. My idea is that Sephora only allow one point per review, and that the review has to come from the email link or Sephora could set their system to check if the person actually purchased the item through the company. Sephora could also make it a word limit to, in order to earn the point. I say all this because, sometimes I purchase products from Sephora's competition and post reviews on Sephora's website, and I don't think it would be fair if I earned points on those reviews. The only reason I do this is because, in my personal opinion, Sephora has the most honest users. I usually read a lot of the reviews on Sephora's site before I purchase any beauty product and weigh the good and the bad to make an informed decision. It doesn't matter to me if it's detailed or as simple as "didn't work for me". Especially since most of the products Sephora sells are premium brands and therefore higher priced. I also hate returning stuff!
teenageparasite

I think that would be a fantastic idea!! Glossy Box has the same sort of program but you can only get points for the box you recieved and you can only earn up to 100 points a month.I think if they put sdomething like this into action it would help increase their already big following.

starrkissed

I love this idea!  As a way to standardize the quality of reviews, they could do a limit of say 50 words or MORE and make it so that if not enough words are used, it won't allow it to post.  However, you're going to get people that cheat and have never used products that are just going around and reviewing everything in order to rack up points.  So that's a major downfall as we wouldn't be sure if their reviews were accurate and we could be buying products off of false recommendations (or not buying them due to false complaints).

tuesdaym

(0) Hearts

I agree about a word minimum! I feel like the reviews that just say "Didn't work" are pointless. WHY didn't it work? I want to know because I am interested in buying it! LOL. I always try to make my reviews thoughtful and cover all the bases. I know there is another topic on here that discusses how people don't include the color when they are discussing the product and I have found (especially with nail polishes) that one color could be a hit and the other a complete miss, so a review could be biased based on just the color being the bad seed!

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Ive written over 100 reviews but Ive used/still own a bunch of things that I still havent reviewed yet. If Sephora decides to give out points for good reviews I would have a good reason to keep buying and testing out new products!!

And I agree that theres too many useless reviews. Im looking at the new Benefit Plus Lipgloss thats due to come out in stores soon, and the very first review is "I cant wait until this gets here I love Benefit!!"

http://www.sephora.com/ultra-plush-lip-gloss-P312113?skuId=1421015

>_<

elea33

(0) Hearts

Hi SephoraMustHave,

I agree that reviews take time, but I think I would wonder about the validity of the reviews if people were incentivized by the number they put out. How do you think they would keep bogus reviews off the site? Maybe reviews should be restricted to the products in your purchase history?

I personally put some weight on the opinion of other Sephora purchasers before I decide what to buy. I look at it as trying to help others if I love a product or it’s overrated. I guess if anything, there are others out there who appreciate your time and opinion.

teenageparasite

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I agree that if they were to start some sort of a incentive program it would be best if they limited you to the items you purchased in your account.That way your not getting everyone writing up bogus reviews just so they can bet points .I also think it would be in sephoras best interest to also put a word min in there so that they could screen out the useless "It sucked, or It didn't work" reviews out.But I do think sephora should come up with something even if your only allowed to earn up too 100 points a month something would be nice at least. 

mermadelove

Well what about if the only reviews that were allowed were the ones that were put up via the email link from when Sephora asks us to rate a product we recently bought? That would be a way to avoid that......

runy

I do like this idea, and support it, though I don't think it's fair to leave out reviewers who want to do a quick rating with a few words.  Some people are not into writing lengthy reviews, and they just want to rate a product and write a bit.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that, and their ratings should still count.  I personally like to extensively test a product before I leave a review that is detailed and useful, and I find those reviews most helpful too.  I agree most helpful posts should get "points".  Also- sephora.com needs to do a better job at weeding out useless reviews, like the ones for the Naked Palette that say "I looked all over for this and can't find it" or "I can't wait to use this"  - Those reviews are garbage.

mermadelove

runy wrote:

I do like this idea, and support it, though I don't think it's fair to leave out reviewers who want to do a quick rating with a few words.  Some people are not into writing lengthy reviews, and they just want to rate a product and write a bit.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that, and their ratings should still count.  I personally like to extensively test a product before I leave a review that is detailed and useful, and I find those reviews most helpful too.  I agree most helpful posts should get "points".  Also- sephora.com needs to do a better job at weeding out useless reviews, like the ones for the Naked Palette that say "I looked all over for this and can't find it" or "I can't wait to use this"  - Those reviews are garbage.

Non helpful reviews that are just a rant should definitely be deleted. I've been seeing both on the FB page and on some of the reviews people accusing Sephora of deleting negative reviews on products. That would be a bad thing. Alot of people were talking about it with the UD 15th Anniversary pencil set. People were complaining about the smell ( what turned out to be the packaging) and apparently alot of those reviews got deleted. I canm't say because Ihaven't noticed this, but if a product is getting alot of bad reviews on one thing I think it should be addressed rather than censored.

I loe the reviews because they help me to choose products. They don't make hte decision for me, but they definitely help my selection process. I've had bad reviews steer me TOWARDS a product before. You know what they say: one girl's pie is another girl's poison. Ok they don't say it quite like that but.....:smileyvery-happy:

ncarolinagal

The online reviews are a big part of how I select new products to try.  I think it would be great if the people who write the most useful reviews were rewarded for doing so.  Maybe you get...x number of Beauty Points when n number of people find your review helpful?  Something like that sounds fair.  After all, the reviews probably do a lot to move the products; why not throw some of the benefit back the reviewer's way?

bearsmom

ncarolinagal wrote:

The online reviews are a big part of how I select new products to try.  I think it would be great if the people who write the most useful reviews were rewarded for doing so.  Maybe you get...x number of Beauty Points when n number of people find your review helpful?  Something like that sounds fair.  After all, the reviews probably do a lot to move the products; why not throw some of the benefit back the reviewer's way?

And there's the solution!!!!  I love the idea of the incentives.  I leave reviews on about 30% of my products, I would do more with an incentive!!!  I also saw this with a question asked earlier in the year about another level of Insider/VIB where you are promoted to a new status with full size product reward and discounts when you buy more, plus review products and post on beauty talk.  That is also a good idea. 

iheartsephora09

I love this idea. I echo what many have said, I use the reviews to make a lot of my purchasing decisions. Usually this is in Sephora's favor. I could see something totally different then what I started out to order, read several great reviews and order that item! I have learned of so many great products and tips on usage from the reviews. Only seems fair the reviewers get something in return.
canseethruu

I'm with everyone else! I personally base a lot of my online purchases based on reviews, along with the input of my Skincare consultant, that happens to be across the country! I do know, like others' have mentioned, that other sites do in fact "reward for reviews." My 2 whopping reviews on Sephora.com are quite lenghty! I list every positive a particular product has done for me! I haven't had much of a chance to write many.....but plan to! If something works well for me, or my mother, I would love for everyone else to know what great results we have seen. I'm not close to a Sephora store, so reviews are pertinent for my purchases! I can't just run into a store and return an item if it doesn't work. I LOVE Sephora, and haven't been a member long, but became a VIB in 6 weeks or less?? It would be GREAT to be rewarded in terms of points, or deluxe sample sizes, or anything positive!

mermadelove

I think this is a GREAT idea! Especially since Sephora is CONSTANTLY asking me to review products-- usually after I already have! I even saw one of my reviews used this past holiday season to promote the tokidoki robbery palette!!!

kalex

Mermadelove - Are you talking about that email they send after you buy something?  Or am I missing out on something?

I saw your reveiw on that email promotion and was actually excited about it!  I'm such a dork, I was like, "Woot!  That's my friend!"  :smileyhappy:

mermadelove

@kalex: Yeah I'm talking about those emails they send after you buy something. You haven't missed anything. :smileyhappy:

And I was totally psyched when I saw they used that review but I was also, like-- "Hey, don't mention it!" since I found out they were going to use it when I saw it in the email!! LOL!!!

oliviabt

Cool idea danac!

XO,
Olivia
pocketvenus

I think this is an excellent idea and another Beauty Insider has raised a similar idea on the Beauty Insider board. I'll post there why I think Sephora should seriously consider this.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 45 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • oliviabt
    • kalex
    • runy
    • iheartsephora09
    • danac
    • elea33