Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Customer Support
|

Off-Topic Board Update

Hi BeautyTalkers! Happy Valentine's Day!

I posted this message in another thread but I wanted to post it here as well so everyone could see it.

BeautyTalk is a wonderful place to talk about beauty, get advice from brands, Pros, Beauty Advisors and each other, and to obsess over products. I also think it's a great place to be silly and get a respite from our day to day lives.

This is why we created the Off-Topic thread; we hoped people would make friends, and if they did, then in theory they would want to talk about something else other than beauty! That being said, I can see how with the redesign of the site, all of the off-topic threads on the homepage may seem a little overwhelming to a person who is just browsing for beauty advice.

So taking some advice our community members, we've removed the off-topic thread from the BeautyTalk homepage, so that those threads no longer show up in the feed. Please be advised that they are still there! All you need to do to see them is click on "The Lounge" category, or even bookmark that link for direct access. This was done to ensure that BeautyTalk is fun and helpful for everyone, and that we can accommodate the office party AND the frat party (because we do love both).

Thank you guys so much for continuing to participate in BT and make it a great community.

Your friendly Community Manager,

Candace

Re: Off-Topic Board Update

ITA? I Totally Agree?

If so, then ITA with today's new avatar pic. 🙂

Love it - I think you told me about your pup but my brain has taken the weekend off and I'm at a loss. Will you remind me?

Yes, I feel Really bad for our Canadian buddies (V) They really need some love.

Thanks we love you too 😉

Yes, sweetie, ITA - I Totally Agree 🙂  Sorry for the confusion.

I actually enjoy trying to figure those things out. Although, that might not necessarily be a good think. What if I thought it meant something else like..........................

I'm Totally Annoyed! That could be a bit problematic. 🙂

To be honest, I did not complain, nor do I know anything about who did. I really didn't "get" lots of the posts, some I found amusing and some I did find a bit annoying, much more "office party stuff" as Candace called it, to which I simply skipped over, as I do with any post that doesn't interest/involve me. I'm sure I've posted things that some of you have no interest in, and hopefully you've simply done the same to my posts.

I can see where some off topic posts have been clogging up the main page for the past week. But my concern is that it's a difficult call as to what is off topic and what is beauty related. I was a bit surprised to see what posts ended up in the Off Topic Thread as to me, they were beauty-related. So unless someone (who?) is going to be very carefully culling through the posts, I don't see this being a successful system.

I guess as Candace suggested, you can bookmark the Off Topic category, and make that the first place you go when you visit BT? I will be visiting the Off Topic Thread because I think there will be lots of interesting posts that will end up there, and it's a shame we won't have the opportunity to decide for ourselves whether or not we want to read them.

Word!

Or should I say 'Words!'

Well written Joeanne, and if you don't mind, will you Please stop reading my mind?

Please and Thank You. 😛

I've really never gone anywhere other then the main page, don't really look at the other 'categories'. It's a bit frustrating as now we may have to search for things that would've just popped up normally. I guess we'll have to do double duty now and check the main feed and the 'Lounge- Off Topic' thread - I get lost enough as it is just checking one section, having to flip back and forth will take time to adjust to and I think that we all may be missing out on things because we have to go back and forth. On the other hand, I do get the fact that if there are many threads that some believe are gunking up the works, that means you have to keep paging down to get more posts on the main page. I still think that is easier than going from one section to another. Maybe we need to retrain ourselves.....but I don't wannna. **sticks her tongue out and huffs like a whiny little baby**

I suppose we just have to give it some time, if after a while we feel it isn't working, then maybe it can be changed back. I just think that overall, we need to be more patient with others and as **Joeanne** said, if you don't like the topic of the thread, skip it. Just like if I was shopping in a Sephora store, I Know that I have issues with perfume, so I would simply avoid the perfume section and think nothing of it. I think we need to do the same thing here - just pass it by and try to let it go.

There is the issue of who decides what goes where? and how do we figure out exactly what the parameters are? I try to go with the flow with all of this stuff and try to remain upbeat about it all.....but, I'm unsure how successful this is going to be. Time will tell.

I should have just stopped at 'Word' - but you know me!

#teamlongposters

LOL great minds think alike!

You said it, sister. 🙂

upload_3329859071288731924.gif

Instead of making the over all decision to make the change for everyone, why not offer the option to have the forum filtered on the front page? That way if people want to see it they see it, if they don't they don't have to. I think a large majority of people like the threads happening in off topic and it's a select few that really don't, but I could be completely wrong. But at the very least that gives people the choice to do something rather then making everyone do it. 

I agree with this change. I come to read about beauty and non-beauty threads were dominating the forum (granted, I'm terrible with staying up to date on the jokes so I didn't get most of them!). They're still here and people can still post to them. I would imagine it would be overwhelming for someone just looking for beauty advice so if Sephora wants to keep its forum more in align with what it was created for that makes sense to me.

FILTERS!!!!!

Everyone say it together 1, 2, 3, FILTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just when it started getting fun, people cry about it. Where'd all these complainers graduate from? drama llama university? Did you guys major in killjoy sciences?

like Veronica said below. It's not just silly stuff in off topics. There's actual legit things that are much more interesting than "I NEED HELP! IMPORTANT! HOW TO REDUCE ACNE???" Yea you can look at it by clicking the off topics link, but that not exactly why I'm disappointed.

I find it funny that when we ask mods to remove posts on specific pages that rudely called out people and were actually creating drama, they refuse to do so because it "didn't violate terms of BT" but something as silly as creating more fun for ourselves will have them tripping and scrambling to change the site. If anyone remembers my first angry post about calling customer service after receiving the "extraearly" code, you might remember my main drive for the post. "Sephora, keep it fair"

Sing it!

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Off-Topic/what-would-you-do/td-p/1168913

this is the kind of magic we are missing on the front page. so sad that a few negative nancies (who also post their own fair share of off topic threads) had to ruin the joys of space cats for all. 

space cat hipster.jpg

hipster space cat is so disappointed in you (you know who you are)

I am laughing so hard Heart

"Only those looking for joy will find it."--Olde Blonde Proverbe

Anonymous Insider

I just wish we could have an option to keep it on out front pages

I agree.  I think we should be able to filter what we chose to see or not. The main page featured the most recently commented on items. I feel like that should be the default. I don't want to see questions from 2 months ago on the main page that have been answered a million times over. Having only certain items featured on the main page is a complete hassle. The palette parade, which is a legitimate beauty-related post is now off in the lounge but is completely hidden from view on the main page. I'm not a fan of the new system. At all.

What about the empties thread?? I love the empties thread!!!

89 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos6
  • upload_1345393079306856371.jpg
  • llama falcon.jpg
  • space cat hipster.jpg
  • upload_3329859071288731924.gif
  • image.jpg
  • hamsteridea.jpg
testing