Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Customer Support
|

Off-Topic Board Update

Hi BeautyTalkers! Happy Valentine's Day!

I posted this message in another thread but I wanted to post it here as well so everyone could see it.

BeautyTalk is a wonderful place to talk about beauty, get advice from brands, Pros, Beauty Advisors and each other, and to obsess over products. I also think it's a great place to be silly and get a respite from our day to day lives.

This is why we created the Off-Topic thread; we hoped people would make friends, and if they did, then in theory they would want to talk about something else other than beauty! That being said, I can see how with the redesign of the site, all of the off-topic threads on the homepage may seem a little overwhelming to a person who is just browsing for beauty advice.

So taking some advice our community members, we've removed the off-topic thread from the BeautyTalk homepage, so that those threads no longer show up in the feed. Please be advised that they are still there! All you need to do to see them is click on "The Lounge" category, or even bookmark that link for direct access. This was done to ensure that BeautyTalk is fun and helpful for everyone, and that we can accommodate the office party AND the frat party (because we do love both).

Thank you guys so much for continuing to participate in BT and make it a great community.

Your friendly Community Manager,

Candace

Re: Off-Topic Board Update

Wait -- what's off topic?  I originally thought that all I would be missing out on were topics that were 100% devoted to llamas (which are great, don't get me wrong), and I was shocked to find a slew of topics that I would consider beauty-related in the off-topic area:  trade threads, palette threads, traveling boxes, threads about makeup samples, the list goes on and on!  Pre-segregation of off-topic threads, I don't think we thought as hard about the off-topic versus other designations for our posts, but now that the off-topic threads are harder to find, I am hoping that posters would only use that designation for super-off topic threads.  On that note, is there a way to change the designation of your own post?  Sorry for the rambling post -- I am just coming to realize I have to check two places to make sure I'm not missing out on my favorite beauty topics!

Good question, kariyava. I'd like to understand this better, too. 

Maybe it could be changed so that anyone who clicks on "off topic" can see everything, including off topic, anyone who accesses through the regular link sees everything except off-topic?  Just a thought, and seems like a good possible compromise so that those of us who really wish to see everything still can.

What a perfectly wonderful idea! I believe you are a genius!

hamsteridea.jpg

Such a cute little hamster pic, reminds me of one we had that I named Hamela! When we moved to a new home I accidentally left the top of her 'house' open one night, woke up around 2 -3am, went to check her and noticed she was Missing! We'd only been here about a week or so and there were tons of boxes everywhere, we obviously had no idea of any little 'spots' that she might hide in or travel through some little 'portal' to a place we might never find her. (i.e. my friends Ham got under the bottom of the kitchen sink cabinet, they had to break the bottom of the cabinet open to get it out)

This is where I should probably admit that she was my Sisters hamster and she was allowing her to stay in my bedroom because I was grieving the loss of a pet and waiting for a new one to come into my life, My sister had been being very mean and her 'kindness' surprised me a bit.

Hey!....wait a minute....I thought she was letting Hamela stay with me because I was feeling sad but now that I think about it, I think she may have left her with me because Hamelas insane scratching to come out All Night Long, drove my sister crazy! Geez! It only took me 14 years to figure that out!

Anyhow, woke my mom up and we searched quietly for about 3 hrs - thank God we Did find her. The whole time we were looking I was trying to figure out how in the world I could be put in Witness Protection immediately. She Would Have KILLED me if Hamela was lost forever. I was really dying inside until I saw that sweet little face & wiggly nose, she was in the middle of a Ton of boxes in a spare bedroom. She came right to me and I must say, she was probably as traumatized as I was. It's funny now, wasn't funny then!

I'm telling you, you have to start writing a book!!!! You have too many stories in your head!

I think that's a fabulous idea! I thought it was miserable toggling through all the different options this morning. Very confusing.

Yes, filters could have been your friend Sephora.

As it stands, we may decide to play elsewhere.  In doing so we could find awesome deals on other brand web sites, and share the links with our friends.

I used to be exclusive to Sephora, since the romance has lost the spark, I am cheating on him with Nordie. 😉

You'll still keep coming back to us though, right?

If you decide to leave us we'll need to set up visitation rights for me and your fluffy puppy love.

"Just so ya' know!"

(Deborah - Everybody Loves Raymond - quoted by me, family and friends Far too often)

You know I love you girl.

image.jpgJust for you!!

You know my weakness....that dog is so dang cute. Thanks for the full size pic just for me.

I Love the way he lays with his back legs out, mr. frog legs, and his tail looks like it must be Gooorgeous.

We all know I'm head over heels about my Greyhound, but I gotta tell you, when I see a dog with longer hair it makes me crazy! If she's not around I go over and hug the heck out of a dog like your and nuzzle my face right into that glorious long & lush fur coat. Ooh! I love it! Don't tell my dog I said that....

What she Does know, may hurt me! 😉 She's possessive. 

I still think BT is a great place, and I do realize that Sephora does give us all quite a bit of leeway in what we discuss - after all, it is a Sephora board, but we very often discuss other websites and makeup sold elsewhere with no problems.  How often have we posted about great offers at Ulta or brand sites?

Would I love for there to be an Over 50 makeup category? You bet, but if it doesn't happen, I can live with that. And I see that many others don't agree with me. Do I think this new change to Off Topic threads is a good one? Not really, but I won't stop visiting BT because of it, nor will I stop buying from Sephora. I'll just adjust my BT viewing habits to include a visit to the Off Topic section, and that's that.

Filters may have been the way to go, and if Sephora decides to make that change, great! If not, I don't think it will be the end of BT. At least not for me!

Agreed.

Also, the over 50 section would be nice and I hope if that happens everyone enjoys it. Joeanne, since you know I'm only 29, I won't be visiting there any time soon, 😉 Hope the Fifty & Fabulous set will love it. 🙂

Of course, my dear, you have many many years before you would need to wander into the over 50 section, except to visit and see what we Fab Fifty Foxes are up to. But do visit and say hello!

I wasn't saying I would stop shopping at Sephora... I love some of the exclusive brands, and special things Sephora has.  I was simply saying that brand sites, and other venders also have deals, and I may take them up on their offers.  I guess until lately if I was going to get makeup online Sephora was my one stop shop, now I will give the other guys a chance.

I've always been a take my ball and go home kind of girl.

No, stick around and play! And trust me, while I love Sephora and it's usually my first stop online, I always try and get the very best deal, and if that means buying from Ulta, Nordstrom's or a brand site, I absolutely will!

I would have preferred it if Sephora would have put the priority on fixing the issues on their site that hinder people from shopping (you know, spending actual $$$), rather than this, but whatever.  

I totally agree.  The iPad and this site have many issues that could have been prioritized first. 

I don't have an iPad but I'm sensing that that might actually be a good thing.

ITA. Also, the Canadian peeps have tons of problems, there are email problems, and let us not even get started on the Rouge program...   

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos6
  • upload_1345393079306856371.jpg
  • llama falcon.jpg
  • space cat hipster.jpg
  • upload_3329859071288731924.gif
  • image.jpg
  • hamsteridea.jpg
testing