Moisturizing Body Butter or Lotion for Psoriasis

lissay

Moisturizing Body Butter or Lotion for Psoriasis

Good Morning Beautiful Ladies! I'm looking for a good body butter or body lotion to help get my legs super hydrated.  I"m 37 and am having a psoriasis outbreak on my legs (never had it on my legs before) and my Dr. wants me to go on a chemotherapy like drug to help elivate the symtoms. I do not want to do this at this time, I do not feel it's that bad to go on this drug that could potentially make me feel bad. I want to try a more natural approach on my own first. I have done some research online but am also hoping that you ladies can offer me some advise on maybe something that has worked for you personally or something that may be worth giving it a try that I haven't heard about. Thank you in advance.

Titian06

Re: Moisturizing Body Butter or Lotion for Psoriasis

I use Eucerin for my eczema.  The company has a new product out specifically for eczema.  I haven't tried it yet since mine doesn't flare up until November-ish.

Nicrohr

I have extreme eczema but not psoriasis... I have been using Keihl's Creme de Corps in the liter size.  No scent to irritate.  My only complaint is that I wish it was paraben-free.  

I also use plain organic jojoba oil in my bath, or slather it on the worst spots before/after a bath to protect, and under my heavier moisturizer -- during really difficult periods.

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

P.S. I also had luck with Protopic topical Rx ointment during really intense flare ups resistant to other drugs.  I know Protopic is prescribed sometimes for both eczema and psoriasis.  just FYI!  Feel free to send me a PM if you want more details.

lissay

(0) Hearts

Do you think the jojoba oil helps you? I've seen a lot posted about the jojoba oil and coconut oils. 

lissay

(0) Hearts

@spedteacher74 For some reason I can't repond directly to your message. Yes, the medication is what the determatalogist wanted to do. I've heard of lots of people with little or no side effects from it that have had great results. But then I've also heard to opposite. I do have steroid creams but the issue I"m having now is that they look like "pimples" and it takes forever to put on each spot. Plus the rubbing of jeans, etc... doesn't help. And well shaving, it's just a big ouch :smileysad:

mafan

Hmm, that sounds like my legs right now.  I have crazy skin.  I can say that the FAB cream has made my pimples just be just a little bit raised in a couple of days and I expect this to clear up in a day or two.  I don't think it would hurt to try a couple of creams before going onto such serious drugs.

lissay

(0) Hearts

At first I thought they were pimples or bites of some kind. Then it turned into the psoriasis. Gotta try out this FAB cream, especially if it lasts while. Thanks!

mafan

(0) Hearts

I don't know if what I have is like yours, but they're all over my legs.  I think for me it's the combination of a lot of salt water, heat, sunscreen and showering.  (At least my legs are not in agony -- until I discovered I was allergic to Oxybenzone and found sunscreen without it the rash I would get was insane.)  You might go through the cream rather quickly depending on how much area you need to cover, but use the concentrate sparingly.  If you have a beauty supply store nearby, pick up a packet of little spatulas to get the concentrate out -- it's that hard.  (Or PM me and I'll put a couple in the mail; a package lasts a long time.  I keep mine inside the jar now that I've used enough of it.)

It seems worth a try before going on serious drugs, and if it does you know good, you can return it.  Or ask for a sample if you have a store nearby.  That's what convinced me to buy a jar after an associate told me about it and gave me a sample.

lissay

(0) Hearts

To me at this point I will try anything that is not oral medications. If it was worse, I may lead to this as an alternative but right now the only problem is it looks like I have something contagious! LOL Thank you for your help. I just stumbled across these boards a few weeks ago and everyone has been so nice and helpful!

rikkie

My dad and my sister both have quite difficult psoriasis, and my brother had serious dry skin issues on Accutane and his dermatologist was blown away when he showed him the cream that has become a huge hit with all of them. It's called Glaxal Base, my mom is a nurse in an oncology ward and it's what they use there for patients, especially when skin is seriously dry and/or sensitive. I think it's a lot more well known in Canada than the US, but I'd definitely try it out if you can get your hands on some. It's not crazy pricey either. :smileyhappy:

bratknits

We've been having good luck in my family (eczema, atopic dermatitis and psoriasis) with First Aid Beauty's Ultra Repair cream.  It has collodial oatmeal in it which is a natural treatment for pretty much anything that itches and it's very moisturizing.  

lissay

(0) Hearts

I was actually looking at this the other day. I will add it to my next order and give it a try!

mafan

This was going to be my recommendation. I've got eczema, and not only do I like the Ultra Repair Cream, but I LOVE the Ultra Repair Concentrate for really bad spots.  It's the only thing other than my steroid cream which can calm it down, and frankly I think it does just as good a job. I get dry flaky spots and it's wonderful.  It's a thick, almost crumbly paste that when warmed in your hands turns into a thicker lotion. 

If you're willing to take a shot on this stuff (remember Sephora has a great return policy), try the combo set here:

http://www.sephora.com/fab-skin-savers-duo-P377601?skuId=1487115

swfupload_3549871016568282923.jpg

(I don't know where they get the $84 value since the two separately would cost you $67 if I'm adding properly, but it's still a good savings.)

The little jar lasts me about a year.  A little bit goes a really long way.

spedteacher74

My husband has psoriasis.  He does not use chemo type drugs and I can understand your concern and wanting to try some other options first.  He uses a steroid cream and some other type of cream, can't remember the name or type.  The steroid is used sparingly and not as frequent as the other since it can thin the skin.  His psoriasis improves greatly during the summer months when he is exposed to sunlight.  In the winter it acts up a bit more as we live in Illinois and he is not out in the sun.  I am not promoting going in the sun as treatment.  He is a professional soccer coach so he is always outdoors and he wears SPF 50, but even with sun tan lotion, it still helps.  I think it is the vitamin D and the second cream he uses might just be a derivative of vitamin D.  He has never tried taking vitamin D orally, but I always wondered if that would help.  He uses regular every day lotion, whatever I bring home.  Usually something more light weight without much fragrance such as Vaseline or Nivea.  Eucerin also make a variety of lotions for different concerns.  Was the dr. you saw a dermatologist? 

lylysa

Try looking into CeraVe's SA Renewing Body Lotion. It's designed for dry, rough, and textured skin and contains salicylic acid (which has been approved by the FDA for over the counter psoriasis treatment) to gently and effectively slough off dead skin and even texture. The gradual, time-release delivery system of active ingredients including ceramides and hyaluronic acid allow for skin to absorb and bind to it moisture drawn from the atmosphere and help restore and replenish moisture and lipid balance. The lotion also contains vitamin D, which helps binds peptides which combat inflammation that is associated with psoriasis.

swfupload_3988299913069665898.jpg

You could also add oatmeal into your bath or a soak for your legs which will help sooth inflammation, irritation, and make the removal of dry skin easier. Avoid using hot water which can shock skin and psoriasis, causing skin to dehydrate quicker once exposed out of the water. Aveeno is a line fortified with oatmeal, they make a range of body and bath products to look into.

lissay

I'll definitely give this a try. I've seen a lot regarding psoriasis and vitamin D lately.

lylysa

Yeah, there's quite a bit that can be used to tackle different aspects of psoriasis. All the mentions of organic oils work by binding essential fatty acids to skin to keep them moisturized. Vitamin A helps with cell turnover, vitamin D for the reasoning in my first post, oatmeal for anti-inflammatory factors.

The reason why I like CeraVe is because it has moisture imparting and binding ingredients (ceramides and hyaluronic acid) without being heavy or too thick and it tackles texture and irritation of skin with psoriasis with the salicylic acid (which will help balance out skin's cellular production level while helping break down excess built up skin and uses vitamin D to calm and soothe.

1930sbella

My moms two favorite lotions/butters are Moroccan Argan Oil and the Body Shop Shea Body Butter. They both are super hydrating, not to mention that they smell good :smileyhappy:. Hope you find something that works!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 38 replies
  • 25 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • lissay
    • marydiva
    • jojobe
    • lylysa
    • mafan
    • sulfate