lissay

Moisturizing Body Butter or Lotion for Psoriasis

Good Morning Beautiful Ladies! I'm looking for a good body butter or body lotion to help get my legs super hydrated.  I"m 37 and am having a psoriasis outbreak on my legs (never had it on my legs before) and my Dr. wants me to go on a chemotherapy like drug to help elivate the symtoms. I do not want to do this at this time, I do not feel it's that bad to go on this drug that could potentially make me feel bad. I want to try a more natural approach on my own first. I have done some research online but am also hoping that you ladies can offer me some advise on maybe something that has worked for you personally or something that may be worth giving it a try that I haven't heard about. Thank you in advance.

jrah822

Re: Moisturizing Body Butter or Lotion for Psoriasis

[ Edited ]

My father has psoriasis (the worst of it is on his legs) and I feel like we've purchased so many products trying to relieve it. Here is what has worked for him:

1. Vaseline...but I did not like him slathering petroleum all over his legs, so I bought...

2. Josie Maran's argan infinity creamy oil. Worked well, but expensive in the long run because he reapplied it so often...

3. Extra virgin, cold pressed coconut oil. Scooped right out of the jar, onto his legs. It's the only thing that keeps the flakes and itch away for him for hours at a time. It doesn't take away the redness, but makes him look 1000% better. He keeps a jar of it by his recliner and by bed. I like to think of it as my little natural victory...we didn't like the idea of the steroid creams the derm prescribed (which didn't work anyway).

He'd also recommend trying to spend as much time in the sun (safely, of course, use physical sunscreen) as you can with your legs exposed. It's his "budget" form of UV therapy. His psoriasis always lessens in the summer when he's outside working in the yard.

lissay

(0) Hearts

Thank you! I'm a huge fan of coconut oil. I've been using that religiously and like you said, it does not take the redness out. The only thing I have done differently this year than the other years was not being in the sun hardly at all.  I would hate to think that not doing that lead to this problem being worse.  If it's not one thing it's another :smileywink: Thank you for sharing what works for him. Gives me hope I'll find something myself besides medication!

mrsstory

Another vote for First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream.  I gave my mother-in-law the Ultra Repair Head-to-Toe Hydration Kit about a month ago.  She has called me three separate times to tell me that she liked everything in it, and the last two times were to rave about the Ultra Repair Cream specifically. 

They have tubes of it, if you don't want to buy a whole bunch and find out it doesn't work for you.  Then, if you like it, go register on the FAB website.  They sent me a 40% off code.  You could get the biggest jar with that.   

I hope you find something that gives you some relief! 

lissay

(0) Hearts

FAB did work on a spot on my face. Another place I've never had it lol. But it hasn't helped on my legs. The area I'm having the most trouble with is the back of my thighs. It's hard to get things to stay soaked in since its an area that gets a lot of friction with jeans, sitting etc.

ghkim

aveeno makes a baby eczema body lotion that worked reasonably well for my husband's eczema (it was severe - he had uv therapy and everything and that did not work). i'm not sure if psoriasis is a totally different animal though. sorry you are going through this :smileysad:

lissay

(0) Hearts

Thank you ghkim! 

gongju87

Hi Lissay,

I also suffer from psoriasis and have a few spots on my legs. Have you ever looked into light therapy? Many years ago I had a BAD outbreak in college and I was covered :smileysad: So my dermatologist started me on light therapy (its a special UV) as it is the least risky of treatments. Plus I tried oral medicines like methotrexate (sp) with no success. Also, I am VERY adverse to biomedical options such as enbrel, humara,etc. So many side effects!

Well let me tell you, light therapy worked for me. Years later I am still clear. If I don't use my light box for a while (I bought one so I could use it at my own house vs going to the derm's office 2-3 times a week) I do notice a few new patches come up, but they are quickly zapped with the light therapy. I would highly recommend you ask your dermatologist about the UV therapy. They even have smaller versions that can spot treat.

In addition, there is a topical spray called clobex that works WONDERS. Seriously clears you up, my mom and I both love it.

OTC stuff would be coconut oil,. pure glycerin, egyptian magic, and anything with oatmeal like aveeno (they have oatmeal bath soaks too).

Finally, while I only have a few spots, I am still concious of them in the work place, so I use dermablend leg and body makeup and the setting powder to cover them up. I know it can take a long time for patches to go away, not to mention possible hyper pigementation afterwards, so while yuo wait, you might want to try this stuff out. Unless you embrace it, which I know a lot of people do! I'm just not brave enough myself yet !

lissay

The two dermatologists that I have seen will not prescribe light therapy until I take the oral medication first. So since I refuse to take the oral I can not get a prescription to buy an at home light. I'm going to start tanning next week. I hate to sound so negative about this but it's so frustrating. 

ghkim

wow, i always thought that light therapy was what you tried before chemo. perhaps try a 3rd derm?

lissay

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

It has something to do with insurance coverage ghkim. And I have contacted supply stores directly to see if I could just buy one without insurance/prescription and I've been told no by all of them :smileysad:

BeautyJunkie325

My dad was prescribed Methotrexate for his psoriasis. It was a complete disaster. My dad already had issues with his lungs (from being on old diesel submarines, from smoking & from repeated bouts of pneumonia/bronchitis) and after taking 2 doses of the drug it put him in the hospital for over a week because his oxygen concentration was so low. It actually caused permanent damage to his lungs which has lead to him being on oxygen 24/7 (he previously only needed to use oxygen when he slept or if he had a severe asthma attack). Now his was a worst case scenario, but it taught me to research the drugs being prescribed before we start any prescription, check every single side effect & to make sure that if you start having any to call your doctor right away.

We've had to treat his psoriasis with lotions, ointments since then.  The CeraVe's lotion that Lylysa mentioned was the one that has worked best to control it on his arms & legs.

lissay

(0) Hearts

Oh my goodness! That is horrible! I'm so sorry he went through that. I have been highly concerned of the risks with this particular drug. 

jojobe

I know you used a traditional doctor, but have you ever considered a naturapath? Most people do find relief this way and also with phototherapy. I am not sure what your situation is but I personally would not do anything radical util I had tried all other options. My son suffered from severe eczema for 5 years until we took him off of wheat and corn products. It may sound extreme and he has had to give up things he really liked to eat but he has not had a flare up since. Maybe that will help maybe not. A lot of times Dr.'s will just take the easiest way and just give out drugs and strong treatments without actually trying to find what is causing the problems. Good luck on your journey to clearing up your skin. .  

lissay

(0) Hearts

I have scheduled a time to talk to a women that works at our whole health foods store to see about vitamins, herbs, etc.... I've already made huge changea in my diet so I guess even more changes will be coming :smileywink:

lissay

@marydiva  I'm actually going to start a detox soon. I've been batteling this flare up since May and it's only getting worse. I'm up to try anything at this point. It's never been this bad before so something has to be "outta wack" per say.

marydiva

Hey, :smileyhappy:

I also suffer from psoriasis, although mine pops up largely on my scalp, neck and upper back. (It sucks.)

I've always used Coconut oil in the past to soothe it and it seems to help, especially on my scalp. I was prescribed a topical ointment (I can't recall the name off the top of my head, I'm so sorry) and that almost cleared it up entirely.

But I do still get the occasional flareup on my neck/scalp when I'm stressed out and I always use coconut oil on it with hot, steamy showers to soothe my skin and let the organic oils soak in.

Have you tried a detox? My mom put me on HMD, which is a heavy metal detox made with entirely natural ingredients and that really helped. Good luck! Psoriasis sucks. :smileysad:

lissay

(0) Hearts

@grilledchz Yes, it is Methotrexate. I did use the FAB and it cleared up a spot on my face but hasn't done anything on my legs. And it's actually worse from when I orginally posted this so I am very discouraged at the point. I have another appointment on Dec. 5th to go over some more "medical options".

grilledchz

I assume your doctor wants you to start methotrexate? Yeah, that's nasty stuff, so I understand your wanting to find other options. 

My mom has awful psoriasis (and I have AS, which is related). She's under control for now in biologics, but she had tried everything under the sun. For the most part, uv light and meds help her the most. I'll see what moisturizer she uses, and I can pass that along.

Hugs! I hope you get over this flare soon.

sulfate

I don't have psoriasis but do have dry sensitive skin. These things may not help you but as you say, it's worth a try ..... use a natural detergent (something fragrance free.. could try seventh generation etc), only fragrance free body products (but not one with irritating oils either), no chemical sunscreens (just physical), no parabens and try sulfate free soaps and shampoos (hitting your legs).    This made a huge difference for me.  I never even bothered to figure out which ingredient bothers me because it's so easy to do.  

It's really amazing what can affect different people.  I know someone who developed a reaction to using regular toilet paper..  her derm recommended she try natural for a while (hello sandpaper) and it worked!  I hope that never happens to me because I'm a toilet paper snob :smileyhappy:

I also have the FAB ultra repair concentrate (not the cream)..  that is really moisturizing.  

Oh, and can psoriasis be caused by a gluten sensitivity or allergy. If it's even possible, I'd try giving that up too.   

shankar

(0) Hearts

test

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 38 replies
  • 25 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • lissay
    • marydiva