BeautyInWorks

How do you know what style is for you? Like, which looks best?

I'm still relatively "new" to this whole fashion thing, and I was wondering if i could have some help or suggestions about how to find/discover my fashion choice. Thanks Everyone!

jinxski

Re: How do you know what style is for you? Like, which looks best?

Agree with everyone here - Personal style is something that will come in time, as long as you feel comfortable, you're good!

Never compromise fashion for comfort, I think that's my most important point when I buy things to wear. Although with shoes... sometimes I break that rule for a cute pair!

You could watch youtube videos to figure out what you like, a lot of people post OOTDs and pairings. My favorite youtuber for fashion is wendyslookbook. Her looks are so elegant and actually wearable, haha

Good luck! :smileyhappy:

ghkim

(0) Hearts

definitely agree with what others said. you need to feel comfortable in your clothes. otherwise you will not appear confident. other than that, i would say, take a good look in the mirror and figure out what colors and what cuts look good on you. then, start shopping at all your favorite stores and find something that is current and also fits your body type and coloring. don't buy everything at once. you'll want to build a wardrobe as you go. make sure to have some basic, universal, timeless pieces as well as some statement/trendy pieces. remember to also work within your budget.

mafan

(0) Hearts

I completely agree with the others who say you'll find your best style when you're comfortable with what you're wearing. I'm older (looking at 50 later this year) so I've seen a number of styles come and go. Sometimes I've seen things and said I want that and other times I've been really glad to have so good clothes around because I'd look horrible in the current color/style/length. I'm old enough to have seen things I wore when younger come in and out again!

Classic is good. Looking at things and feeling good at how you look is good. 

One key thing is getting a sense of what colors look good on you. I hated olive greens, khaki, yellow, etc colors when my mom put me in them growing up. Now I know that with my coloring, what looks good on someone else makes me look terrible, jewel tones suit me, and I'm better off just not buying clothes when certain colors are in. I also know I'm not comfortable in heavier jewelry, while my sister-in-law, while smaller than me, wears it with great flair. These are just a couple of examples. 

So I agree, don't buy something you don't like, even if it's just a feeling, because you'll be uncomfortable and not wear it well. Look at what you like, take pictures, ask friends, etc. and shop around. One great piece found on sale is worth a lot more than a bunch of inexpensive stuff that doesn't suit you. You can build around a good piece and haven't for years if it's not a "here and gone" trend

Now, could wedge heals please not be too out of style any time soon? I haven't worn 3in heals in years that were so comfortable that I could walk backward as quickly as forward, run up stairs and dance in them for hours and I think they look great! I'm wearing these whether they're trendy or not!

1930sbella

(0) Hearts

Yep, totally agree! If your gonna wear something you better like it and feel comfortable in it. I personally like a lot of looks so  I combine them a little here and there. I also alternate between looks a lot. One day I am sporty, the next girly,nautical, urban chic......just kinda whatever I feel like. The best piece of advice I can give is know what you like and go with it. Also always keep in mind what your wardrobe looks like so that when your thinking about buying something you can decide if it is going to work with your wardrobe. For almost every piece of clothing I own I have at least five other pieces of clothing that go with it.

nebel

I think the MOST important thing is that you like what you are wearing and feel comfortable in it.  So much of fashion is attitude. If you are uncomfortable in what you are wearing (either self-conscious of how you look or physically uncomfortable because the outfit doesn't feel right) that is going to come across.  Wear clothes that fit properly (not too tight, too loose, too short, too long etc) and that you really enjoy, and I think you'll do just fine!

melissa93

I second that! I honestly don't care what's in or not. I do what makes me feel good and I don't like following the crowd. I like being unique and sticking out. But that's just me :smileyhappy: 

janinebt

[ Edited ]

I feel like personal style is just one of those ever evolving things :smileyhappy:. You don't just have to stick with one 'look'. I tend to stick with a lot of classic pieces (pencil skirts, vintage fitted loose tees, simple LBDs, etc) which are timeless and will lasts for years to come. I usually spend a lot less on trendy pieces, as they may not be 'in' the following year.

So I guess my best piece of advice would be to have a well balanced wardrobe of both. Also keep in mind that you don't have to give your whole arm and a leg for amazing classics! Vintage shops, estate sales, and even swap meets can be excellent hunting grounds for amazing closet treasures!

BeautyTester gave you great advice as well! Checkout some of the different fashion website out there! Or take a friend with amazing style shopping with you.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Hmmm, fashion. I started by looking at magazines like Seventeen, Marie Claire, Allure, Lucky, InStyle, Vogue etc. They should give you an idea for what's "in" right now and what the "it" item is. However, the items featured are usually super expensive and they don't often show you how to wear them, so you can also look at fashion bloggers. For inspiration on how to put together fashionable outfit, my favorite is Garance Dore, Sea of Shoes, Satorialist, Glamurai etc. From here, I kind of have an idea of what I like, what I don't like and what I may want to buy. If you have similar pieces in your closet, try them on and see if you like them.

Then I go shopping. H&M and Forever21 are good for trendy finds. Amazon occasionally have good deals. You kind of have to figure it out yourself from here. Take a friend with you, or ask a stranger when you are in the fitting room. It's open ended here.

But to make it really look good, it have to be comfortable and you need to own it. As gorgeous as many of those designer heels are, I know I will be scowling the whole time I'm wearing those 5in heels. Also, I took a lot of self-photos. Sometimes I would wear something in a cool way but when I see the photo I'm like ".......delete." and if I like it I keep it in mind.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • melissa93
    • janinebt
    • ChicDabbler
    • mafan
    • jinxski
    • nebel