Jana0313

How do you clean your makeup brushes?

I've been cleaning mine by dipping them in warm water and then putting some dove soap in my hand and twirling it around. Then I just rinse it out and repeat until it rinses clear. After that I twirl them on a towel and let them air dry. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions that might be more effective? I've also wondered about using a little baking soda to clean them.

jojobe

Re: How do you clean your makeup brushes?

(0) Hearts

I use my leftover WEN from what won't come out of the pump, I add a little distilled water and shake it up and use that to clean my brushes. I love it! If I have been sick or something I always spray some alcohol on them to kill the germy - germs. It does not leave a residue on my brushes and I find there is no need to buy a separate cleaner and I feel like I use all of my product up.

quotidianus

I'm with ivyxox on Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps!  I use the baby soap, though.  It contains organic coconut, olive, hemp and jojoba oils, tocopherol (vitamin E), citric acid as a mild preservative, and water.  

db.jpg

It works amazingly well on all my brushes--even getting all residues off of my lip brushes--and leaves them in fantastic condition.  I use this soap for a bunch of things, including cleaning my wood floors.  Plus, I love the company and their ethics.  I highly recommend trying it.

I'd be cautious about using baking soda.  I suspect it could be drying and could possible shorten the life of your brushes.

lovinglondon

I use this as well. I find that it cleans better than anything I've tried. I've used this after using a brush cleaner and it gets out what some other products can't. And it lasts forever! It can be a bit of an investment upfront but it's well worth it. 

BrennaBombshell

I mix plain blue Dawn Dish Soap with (real) olive oil. You can tell it's not cut with other oils if you put it in the fridge overnight and it solidifies. I just mix 1 part soap to 2 parts olive oil in a little dish, dip my brush in and swirl on my hand, then rinse with cool water. I don't use hot because it will wear down the glue and make the bristles coarse. I've been doing this method for about three years with no problems. I wash them like that once a week, but use a daily brush cleaner (just drugstore stuff) whenever I use a brush just to keep from colors getting muddled.

MDinMD

I use the same exact technique! I absolutely vouch for this method!! And for added longevity, I use brush guards! brush_guard.jpg

jenjendoitagain

I too, love brushguards. There was a different post about washing/drying and I mentioned these. I was so happy when I saw them at my WalMart a few months ago. I bought three packs and I  haven't gone one time without washing my brushes and not using these! They really do help keep the shape of the brush when drying or when storing them. :smileyhappy:

I also use the same technique as Brenna with washing them. Dawn and olive oil. Simple, simple for deep cleanings. :smileyhappy:

For daily washings, I use a sanitary brush spray (sephora brand). Just kinda spray it on my brush after use and then wipe off excess makeup on a lint free cloth or napkin.

floridab

Second the brush guards!  They are the best thing I have found to keep brushes looking like new, and holding their shape.  I like using solid brush cleaner or sometimes purity made simple.  I don't use alcohol because it can dry out the bristles and dissolve the glue in the ferrule?

HookedOnBeauty2

(0) Hearts

My loves list keeps growing when I read these threads!! I use a daily brush cleaner but for a deeper clean I used lavender baby shampoo, distilled white vinegar and water ( found it on Pinterest ). Now I want to try the solid cleanser that is getting lots of thumbs up.

DesertRose0706

i clean my brushes with palmolive dish soap, a swirl them gently in the palm of my hand until the water rinses all the soap out.  Then I hang them upside down to dry.  I have a dense synthetic brush i use for foundation, and I will soak that one in rubbing alcohol for a minute before washing it, to loosen up all the foundation.  Gets it really clean!

Spyski

(0) Hearts

I do the same, and always wondered how to get my dense foundation brush cleaner. I will taking notes on the alcohol method you posted :smileyhappy:

lilahtov

[ Edited ]

I QUADRUPLE vouch for BeautyBlender's solid cleanser. It's $16, VERY easy to travel with and I purchased mine six months ago and I JUST hit pan yesterday. As in, it'll still last probably another month or two. So very reasonable! :smileyhappy:

http://www.sephora.com/solid-sponge-cleanser-P379449?SKUID=1438407&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=1438407&om...

ireneh

I triple vouch for the beauty blender solid! It is amazing!! It shortens my cleaning time, because I don't have to wash my brushes twice to get all the gunk out. I have a brush with all white bristles, and I swear this is the only product that will return that brush to its original white condition

Embolalia

I picked up the Beauty Blender solid cleaner as an impulse grab at the check-out (oh how I love those…seriously, waiting in line for a few minutes can easily add $40 to my total). In this case, I'm so glad I did. My brush cleaning has gone from sporadic to compulsive. It even gets the combined mascara/brow gel gunk off my spoolie brush. 

ivyxox

Mix water with Dr. Bronner's liquid soap in tea tree (15:1) and put the mixture in a spray bottle. I use this daily to clean my brush. And I wash the brushes using olive oil and dish detergent weekly. I love Dr. Bronner's for spot cleaning because it is natural and tea tree has anti-bacterial property too.

Jenny5783

Philosophy's Purity face wash is great for brush cleaning. Its gentle and leaves your brushes and hands really soft and a tiny bit goes a long way. Even using a tiny amount all of the makeup is removed from the brush quickly and effectively.  

andyhtrieu

I like using Master's Brush Cleaner & Preserver (even though it's designed for paint brushes, it gets everything out of makeup brushes). upload_5248685855638376383.jpg

I started using this because I've heard that baby soap and hand soap leaves a film over the bristles and can affect makeup application. I'm not sure if it's true, but I'm still experimenting.

Missie772

I spot clean them as much as I can. I love the Make Up For Ever Brush Cleaner.

And if I do a deep clean, I love the Beauty Blender Solid Cleanser. My white bristle brushes look brand new! http://www.sephora.com/solid-sponge-cleanser-P379449?skuId=1438407

happygen

Thanks for the info Missie!!  I really like seing pictures and links of the products you describe, it really helps for visual people like me :smileyhappy:  Thanks again, I will definitely be bying those very soon! :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: 

ChicDabbler

I clean brushes with generous amount of facial cleansers that I don't like, and I have enough of those to last me a decade. T.T

I'm not sure about baking soda, but I know oil cleanse is good for brushes with natural fiber since those dries out over time just like human hair.

SallieSunshine

(0) Hearts

Good idea - I have a HUGE jug of Purity that I don't particularly like. I bet it would last me six months on my brushes... Thanks!

lasheliz

I clean mine with Sephora brush cleaner daily after I use them, especially the foundation brushes and eyeliner smudge brushes, but for a deeper clean I use a gentle soap without much scent or residue (like Dove or Method) to prevent bacteria and makeup buildup about once a week. I use my palm to swirl the brushes with the soap and let the water run on them. Then, like you, I twirl them (gently) on a towel and let them air dry. The nice thing about the Sephora brush cleaner is that it dries quicker than water and is really easy and convenient. I find that it doesn't clean as well if there is a lot of makeup on the brush so good old soap and water is my go-to.upload_8123558889201971633.jpg

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 65 replies
  • 64 hearts
  • 54 in conversation
    • btmod2
    • lovinglondon
    • DTalksAll
    • mberteig
    • reflectsgold
    • lyravega