ellevee09

Eye gloss recommendations

Hey girls - I'm obsessing over this eye gloss look. I was told rouge bunny rouge makeup has a awesome eye gloss. But are there any other brand out there to achieve look? Thanks!!! 

SweetFirefly

Re: Eye gloss recommendations

(0) Hearts

In one of Kevyn Aucoin's books he said that this is done with vaseline; it doesn't last.

beautylovingirl

@lylysa- I had no idea this existed but as I looked at pictures I found some from 2011 and before I looked I thought it was something new. I think it looks really good in promo pictures and stuff but yeah couldn't see it in everyday wear. I guess it's one of those beauty trends that came and went but I could also see doing this for a party look or something. No one has posted anything about this before so I thought it was a good topic to come in.

ellevee09

Yes, I posted topic because I was wondering and didn't find any other posts. Thanks for replying, your thoughts and comments! :smileyhappy: have a great day! 

lylysa

Yup, it's good for a photo shoot and to capture the eye, but it doesn't translate so well to actual, everday wear...especially because we're moving into warmer months, no one needs vaseline or gloss running into their eye due to product dripping and even melting off quicker in the summer sun!

The Lorac lusters can be built up to give an extra hint of sparkle and glow, it's very versatile and it's a good way to wear shimmer without worrying about glitter falling into one's eyes and irritating! :smileyhappy:

lylysa

[ Edited ]

Though this look has been around in the fashion and make up world for quite some time and to be honest, though certain brands tote around specific products to achieve this look, just about every make up artist relies either on good ol' vaseline or clear lip gloss/lacquer dabbed and patted over lids.

The actual achievement of glossy lids may look great in promos and photos, but unfortunately the look isn't very long lasting (I'm talking anywhere from 10, maybe even 20 minutes tops of it looking decent) as glosses and the emollient nature of the products used break down eye shadow and product underneath and will eventually cause creasing, bleeding, and fading/feathering of color. Since everyone's skin is different, if you're looking to try this look, I suggest using vaseline first as opposed to lip gloss, it's honestly up to you if you want to test spot/try out gloss on your lids, but try finding one that doesn't have any synthetic fragrance to avoid possible irritation.

To get a look similar but without the worry of runny lids and shadow, Lorac's 3D Liquid Lustre gives a brilliant sheen and shimmer to lids, lips, face, and even body. It's opthalmologist tested to be safe for use around the eye area and won't bother contact lens wearers (I wear hard contacts and never had issues with this product on my lids and applied on the inner corners of my eyes as a highlighter). Dab this liquid on with your fingers to give a marvelous glow and since it dries down, you won't have to worry about it causing your make up to crease or bleed.

swfupload_8132485321809652107.jpgswfupload_3782576691195761749.jpg

It's available in pearl and gold shimmer, both are translucent so it will give way to show whatever color of product you have underneath.

ellevee09

(0) Hearts

@lylysa thanks for your advice. Yes, I was told Vaseline is good. I also saw a tutorial using rouge bunny rouge eye gloss. CK One and Chanel has one also. Thanks for comments and great suggestions. il wanna try it and see how it is. :smileyhappy: 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@onomotopoeia9- Sorry I can't edit my post but anyway you'll have to just pull it up by lexibeautyblogspot.com I can't post the link on here because it's an outside link but also I initially found it by typing in lid laquers eye and It pull up a bunch of different options. Hope this helps!

connieconcon

(0) Hearts

Wow, what an interesting look!  I have no idea how to achieve it, but I am interested in seeing a normal picture of a regular person using it (ie not photoshopped). 

beautylovingirl

I got this picture for the lid laquer off of lexysbeauty.com she may have it on there but I'm not sure:smileyhappy:

onomotopoeia9

for some reason the link isn't working...

beautylovingirl

I don't have any recommendations because I'm not familiar with it but I found this picture and I really think it looks good!thCA5T22OM.jpg

onomotopoeia9

(0) Hearts

As a side point, I love the lip look on beautylovingirl's post! Any ideas how I can imitate that look?

DTalksAll

A quick search brought up Jane Iredale (which can be bought at BeautyBar). They come in 8 shades and are $15.50 a piece. 

Everything I read says not to put eye gloss near the crease, it should be on the lid only to prevent it from creasing. 

ellevee09

Thank you Chanel!

connieconcon

(0) Hearts

I should have scrolled down before I replied!  Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing!

CinnamonSwirled

(0) Hearts

If it doesn't dry how would it stay in place when you open your eye?

It might work for a photo session but how would you wear it in real life?

It's different or maybe shocking. Maybe that's what it's supposed to be?

kenny

Honestly I have zero experience with this look. I think in a more practical, real life setting, a high shimmer eye shadow will give that  "wet look". With a little research I found most of the products classified as eye gloss are just high shimmer liquids and creams. Charlotte Ronson's Starry Eyed eyeshadow is a liquid eye shadow with high shimmer (plus it's on sale right now). Lise Watier (a Canadian brand) has some new shadows called souffle supreme, they have great pigmentation and gives lids a high shine effect.

The real glossy look you see in editorials and such are accomplished using balms, creams, sometimes gloss and a bit of photoshop. A true glossy eye could be very messy and cause creasing and not look quite as awesome in real life as it does in photos, but high shimmer and shine from cream and liquid eye shadows can give that effect in a more practical way.

arielaaaaaaaa

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I think it's actually pretty, but i totally agree with you, it's not a real life look. I have an eye shadow i wear almost daily, and it has a shimmer, kinda wet look. I apply it with a wet brush and the shimmer in it is beautiful. Just the idea of a gloss eyeshadow is just not a good one at all. 

ellevee09

Appreciate your advice. I thought about the creasing..I've even seen people use Vaseline. But I might just pick up a few to try out.. Makeup is fun!! :smileyhappy:) I even found that Chanel & CK one has some eye gloss.. 

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

-

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 16 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • connieconcon
    • kenny