LouLouR

Any Canadians out there?

If so how do you feel about this duty we are being charged? Anyone still buying? Do we have any options?

fatimamummy

Re: Any Canadians out there?

(0) Hearts

I will appreciate if anyone can explain me about duty charges. I shop exclusively online and due to blind trust rarely check the exact amount charged all I noticed that now the invoice attached on my parcels include only the product names and not the individual or collective charges.

kas045

I was always under the impression that the price difference between Canadian stores and American stores was to cover exchange rate and duty prices.  So if there is a problem with the shipping across the border, I am sure they have a Sephora warehouse in Canada why not ship out Canadian stores from their Canadian distributing centres?   

Instead of aggravating all the Canadian customers, especially the ones that spend a lot of money in their stores.  

I think they really need to step up their game. Before Sephora was the only option, but now with SDM, the bay and many Sears carrying high end make-up, they actually will have to start competing with their competitors, rather than the "we can charge them what-ever we want because they don't have any other options" mentality.

caperella

FYI: "Any Canadian order under C$20 will not incur duties."

BeccaBelle

(0) Hearts

While in theory that is correct, Sephora clearly doesn't understand the shipping and duty laws (or grade school math). I made an $8 order last week, and was charged $1.44 in tax, and $0.93 in duty. Not really sure why Sephora seems unable to do simple math, but It's incredibly annoying that they charged me 18% in tax instead of 13%, and they charged 11.6% duty when that should have been a duty-free order.

caperella

(0) Hearts

The info I posted above came right from a message from Sephora's CS.  I'd contact them about that order if I see in your shoes. 

veronika23

I just bought something tonight and I'm pissed!  Not only was I told the over charging in taxes was fixed which it isn't but I got charged more on duty. When you are checking out it gives you an amount duty.... well the actual amount I paid was like double than what it showed at checked. WTF?  I'll stop my post here since what I have to say would get deleted.

caperella

Have you contacted Sephora? Did they offer a solution?

I've put together a few different shopping carts over the last few days, trying to decide the few things I wanted to use the 15% code on and every time I clicked check out, the calculated tax was wrong. Ugh. 

veronika23

No I decided not to call them.  I'd get this load of BS I usually get and well the CS isn't so good. Once I get it, it's going back and I want a full refund! I don't like being played.  It might only be a few dollars but it's the principle and this pisses me off!

kbmatthews

Oh no! That's horrible! The final amount they show for duty on a purchase should not increase blindly when you go to pay. 

Well, duty in general sucks, but being charged more than you expected is redonkulous.

StyleLynn

(0) Hearts

I can't remember exactly when the duty charge was implemented but I've only made 2 small orders this year and I wasn't charged duty on either. Part of the reason I haven't placed any orders is because I'm a little annoyed that I spent $1000 to hit Rouge and the major perk of that for me was free shipping but now there's a new charge - duty. I foresee Shoppers and Murale getting the $1000 I would have normally spent at Sephora this year.

kbmatthews

(0) Hearts

This is my concern. I'm about $200 away from Rouge, but since the duty charges, it almost doesn't seem worth it... when Shoppers/Murale carry 90% of the brands I buy anyways.

Sidenote: found out the SDM near my work carries UB, Stila, Dior and Guerlain! I'm beyond excited!

MysticalAngel

(0) Hearts

I also have not ordered online since the duty was implemented. The thing is, until last November (when I started regularly going on BT) I had never end ordered online. Then I saw all these promos and samples we get from ordering online and I decided never to shop in store after that. It's not like I don't have any Sephoras near me. i have one about 10 minutes away from my home but some of the cast members there haved ruined my shopping experience there.

Since the extra duty I have made one purchase in store (old meteorites!!!) and that wasn't even my local Sephora. This other Sephora is a thousand more times friendlier and generous than my Sephora. I'm planning on shopping there for Chic week, but like the rest of you I'm also exploring other options.

hazelsmrf

I ordered for the first time from Murale tonight.  I spent 240$ and got 40 000 optimum points because they're having a 20x points event,  plus free shipping,  plus 5 samples (some deluxe),  plus I got 2 big freebies,  one from strivectin and one from estee lauder.  That 40000 points is worth about 100$ for me since I only redeem when they're at 95k for 170$ plus 30k points back. 

deannarp

(0) Hearts

a lot of their samples are deluxe, it's great! I love the It's Potent eye cream from benefit. I had to use 100pt perk to get it from sephora though.

LouLouR

(0) Hearts

Where is this 20X point event? Is it for Canadians too or just Americans?

hazelsmrf

(0) Hearts

The 20X event was just for that day,  if you check on Murale they will show when they have 20X events. 

lovebaking123

(0) Hearts

It's for a Canadian store, called Shoppers Drug Mart, which is only for Canadians. Murale is by Shoppers Drug Mart so the point system qualifies there too.

veronika23

(0) Hearts

20x the points events are something that Shoppers Drug Mart and Murale have.  They are both Canadian only companies.

bonafide11

I haven't bought anything online since the duty came into effect either. I've bought little things here and there in store but no major purchases. It has certainly made me take a second look at all the options we have like SDM, The Bay, etc. Their GWPs and point systems (never really paid attention to Optimum pts before) are so much more satisfying than the foil samples and tiny point perks Sephora offers. I live and work near stores galore so Sephora is definitely not my only option. With Nordstrom & Saks coming, Sephora better step it up or they'll lose lots of customers.

The store is great for browsing and swatching but I don't feel the itch to shop at Sephora anymore (I guess that's a good thing for my wallet!). I'll probably still make some purchases when the promos like Chic Week and VIB sales come around but it will be more conservative purchases.

LouLouR

I notice that most of us have a "rouge" status which mean we buy a lot of stuff. Canadians = money for Sephora. You are all right we need to stand together and be heard. If we keep buying and are treated like crap then it will never change.

Another thing to think about... I have 2 bag full of blasted samples and promo junk I know I'm never going to use them. It's a sort of carrot & stick thing with me but the duty has calmed down my shopping addiction. The 5 sample thing left me cold I couldn't care less.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 45 replies
  • 34 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • melanito
    • veronika23
    • MysticalAngel
    • CrystalCandy