LouLouR

Any Canadians out there?

If so how do you feel about this duty we are being charged? Anyone still buying? Do we have any options?

melanito

Re: Any Canadians out there?

Oh and I forgot about the not getting correct # of points and correct tax amount and having to get that corrected.  I'm impressed with deluxe samples at SDM right now...with benefit they're real mascara. I wonder if their 5 free samples for their anniversary is why Sephora has that on right now. Let's face it as much as Sephora makes out their US clients are more important they do have over 30 stores and must do alot of online business and its up to Cdns to send a message that we deserve to be treated similarly to US customers.

I was going to add as a Vancouverite the eskincarestore.com which has a store down the street has alot of brands sephora does, with cheaper prices, and you can get 15% or 20% most of the time. They also regularly rotate sales so if you keep an eye you can find an item you regularly use. You also get points that you can use to discount your purchase price. I think they sell clarisonics too.

melanito

(0) Hearts

Oh and I forgot about the not getting correct # of points and correct tax amount and having to get that corrected.  I'm impressed with deluxe samples at SDM right now...with benefit they're real mascara. I wonder if their 5 free samples for their anniversary is why Sephora has that on right now. Let's face it as much as Sephora makes out their US clients are more important they do have over 30 stores and must do alot of online business and its up to Cdns to send a message that we deserve to be treated similarly to US customers.

melanito

I've not bought anything since this issue came up. I'm just kinda done with Sephora shopping until Sephora starts to add some incentives and will only limit my shopping to the store in the future. It just feels like Sephora just offers second rate service to Canadians and keeps dishing out a lower standard of service because Canadians continue to shop shop shop. I think with well over 30 stores in Canada, they should really have a cdn warehouse. I'm just kinda fed up with the considerably and sometimes ridiculously higher prices, 10 higher price limit for any promos, higher free shipping threshold, etc. and how they used to say it was the manufacturer who set the price, then it was duties and brokerage fees, now it's neither... and the prices are still higher.  I'm honestly just trying to shuffle my beauty routine to companies that sell directly (like Josie maran) or are available at Cdn stores like Shoppers or Winners or even buying from people on ebay. I've been a VIB for years and just find I don't always have stuff to buy at the time the 45 spend promos come out and remember the days where Cdns/US customers spent the same amount 25. For a couple of deluxe samples it's just not worth it. I'd rather shop elsewhere where like at Josie Maran right now I can get 20% off and free shipping if I spend 25 and forego a couple of samples I likely won't use.

kenny

Another option for western Canadians, is London Drugs. They are doing spring events right now, it's $10 for the ticket which is redeemable at the event and a makeover with a brand rep. They have some great mid range and high end brands. I have gone to these twice, once with Lise Watier and Shiseido and was a great intro ti brands I wasn't too familiar with. You also get a swag bag (with samples and some drugstore makeup), the brand rep usually also gives you a bunch of samples, there are also door prizes (I won something both times) and they also have some other promotions running (ex. $20 off $100 or more purchases in cosmetics, or great GWP, or double stamp events). If you have one nearby they are definitely worth checking out!

kittycarlisle

It would appear that the duty charge is 5% give or take. Like the taxes it seems to be, how shall we say, a bit capricious in how it's calculated. There's no clear answers or transparency on Sephora's part so I'm becoming increasingly tired of it. The Bay, Shoppers, Holt Renfrew and so on - there are so many choices out there and I've just been a bit lazy (I live near large shopping areas which may not be true for everyone.) I ordered from the Bay online recently which I had never thought of and it was a great experience. This is also resulting in trying brands like Chanel that aren't carried at Sephora too.

Much like Beauty Talk, online Sephora shopping is losing it's sparkle and attractiveness for me.

myxducky

and soon Nordstrom will also be coming :smileyhappy:

kittycarlisle

(0) Hearts

yes! Can't wait for the Sherway one!

ivyxox

I am quite impressed with the bay too! I have no problem getting any samples that I wanted to try. Also, not sure if you guys noticed, Sephora sells some products more expensive than other stores. All illamasqua products are at least 20% cheaper at the Bay. I bought an Armani eyeliner at the Bay for $29 and sephora sells it for $36. Now I am only going to Sephora for some Sephora-exclusive brand.

CrystalCandy

Woah they found a way to get their money back from the Rouge free shipping. It started with taxes, now it's duties. I wonder why it applies only on some items, from the same brand.

myxducky

(0) Hearts

i assumed it depended on where things were being manufactured. In theory, if its manufactured in North America it should duty-free, but it's kind of tricky since sometimes the packaging is manufactured in China while the cosmetics are not and then it's really no way of determining if the duties are correct.

But I agree, I think this is a way of getting Canadians to shop in store than shop online.

kas045

(0) Hearts

Hey guys.  So when i have been checking it out it doesn't seem to be putting the duty payment on to my shopping cart.. Is it adding it after you process your payment?

myxducky

(0) Hearts

Not all items have an applicable duty, but you should check if it is registering your ship to address because for the first while I thought I wasn't being charged any duty and it wasn't automatically pulling up my address info, and once I selected my address, the duties came up.

kas045

(0) Hearts

Oh ok. Thanks a lot.

chocopudding

I haven't bought anything since the additional duty. I am lucky to live near two Sephora stores, but I preferred shopping online since you are guaranteed the 3 samples, and I don't have time to really venture out to do any physical shopping.

However, I do have to say that I am glad that this additional duty charged occurred, because now I know about all the other alternatives that people have mentioned here: SDM, Murale, department stores - all of these have better perks and GWP.

So many thanks to the ladies here for sharing your shopping alternatives here in Canada! It is much appreciated! :smileyhappy:

infinitise

(0) Hearts

I haven't ordered anything for 2 weeks 

how much are we getting charged for duty? 

myxducky

[ Edited ]

don't get me started. the taxes  we are being charged aren't even being calculated properly, so I have no faith in their duties calculations. I've purchased sparingly, if at all since the implementation of duties.

TrysBeautyItems

(0) Hearts

If you order through online, Borderfree is the one fulling Canadian orders for Sephora and calculating fees. Borderfree has their own website with information on what they are and what they do.

caperella

(0) Hearts

I stand corrected. I asked Sephora and was told "The Canadian duties are calculated by our border facility Borderfree."

LouLouR

(0) Hearts

Maybe so BUT I was told that the price @ check out will never go up. I think I still have the email. if the price changes I would definitely contact Sephora and then ask for a refund.

caperella

(0) Hearts

It doesn't say anywhere that Borderfree are the ones actually calculating the duty. 

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

That's what Borderfree, as a company does, it's why Sephora hired them. 

On Boarderfree's website:

Logistics: "Borderfree handles all international customs clearance, product classification, third party screening, parcel fulfillment, and returns. When you turn the lights on in more than 100 countries and territories, that’s two billion prospective customers that will want to know where their packages are. They have access to package tracking from the moment the parcel leaves our warehouse." 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 45 replies
  • 34 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • melanito
    • veronika23
    • MysticalAngel
    • CrystalCandy