JGSFLA

just curious

just curious..i am faily new here but i never get any hearts for the beauty advice i give..am i doing something wrong? ty!

latinadiva

Re: just curious

(0) Hearts

I would agree with others that I was on here for the longest time before I even realized you could give hearts. And again, as someone else indicated, whenever I'm on here I'm multi-tasking and I genuinely forget about it. Just don't let it make you feel like your advice is bad or undesired!

brittieeee

Kissxmakeup - I don't think she is on here to get hearts, I think JCSFLA just may think she is giving out solid advice and wants to know why her "hearts" don't reflect that. 

I think beautylovinggirl makes a valid point, that many people are new to the boards. Many new people come in to BT boards just to ask one question and they are unfamiliar with the concept of giving hearts.  Also, many people after they've found the answer they were looking for or after they begin to type a reply simply forget to go back and show some love! (PS I gave you a heart just now! :smileywink:

JGSFLA

(0) Hearts

thats not why i joined at all..i was just curious..thats all.

kissXmakeup

I don't think that your main reason for joining beautytalk should be to gain hearts. This is not Facebook or any other kind of social media where "likes" depict your popularity. Hearts are given from people for different reasons. I know some people heart useful answers, some heart funny answers, others heart based on how they're feeling that day. There is no particular way to heart. When I started off, I did not have many hearts. I quickly learned that being more involved on here, posting reviews on products and replying to posts or starting a post was most helpful. It allowed me to learn a lot from other ladies & gents on here. Be patient & kind and you will gain hearts in no time (:

poshified

I honestly wished I had discovered the BeautyTalk community much sooner! I initially hopped onto here for support from fellow beauty addicts who are attempting a No Buy July challenge and to live vicariously through the folks who are hauling products, but I have learned and discovered many new products I've never even heard of! So far, it's been a very welcoming, non-intimidating community. I mean, we are all here to share the same passion to begin with! :smileyhappy:

Meg82

I'm going to have to agree with everyone on the caps here.  Personally I love caps, I used to belong to a community that was exclusively caps locked.  I tend to associate them with enthusiasm.  However I am very aware that that is not internet standard.  To other people it reads as rude and overbearing.  It's hard to transition from your normal mode of communication but I have faith that you can do it.

roxystar4

I think it is the caps! it is hard to read & makes me feel like I'm being yelled at. But your advice is good.  

beautylovingirl

@nebel- Oh well great minds think alike! ^.^

nebel

[ Edited ]

Another thing I wanted to add- everyone who posts in this community is wonderful and we do what we do without malice and with the best of intentions.  Do not take constructive critcism as anything but what it is.  Do not look for trouble or insults or slights, because they do not exist here. Do not take things personally, because they are not meant to be personal insults.  You asked for advice, and we give it.  Relax, enjoy, and don't worry.

beautylovingirl

JGSFLA-I really have to agree on this any question posted can be answered by other people. It's not to be condescending it's the part of this being a public forum it's just how it works. Everyone answering your post has just given you the advice you've asked for. Please take it as a good thing and not a negative thing coming back with rude messages is only going to make things worse. Your more than welcome here and this community is made up of the best and nicest people you'll ever meet. Please just be respectful when replying. But once again welcome.:smileyhappy:

nebel

lol, we just pretty much posted the same thing at the same time :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

The number of hearts depends on the number of posts and number of people that found them helpful or likes them.

While all caps may seem like no big deal to you, any netiquette you see anywhere will tell you not to do it because it's online equivalent of shouting. If you observe basic netiquette, people will be more inclined to read your post.

Lastly, this is a public forum and it's ok to answer somebody else's question. Some of us with lots of hearts have been here for years, and everybody have posts that nobody hearted (just like not every single one of your Facebook post have likes, right? real life takes priority. I even have questions that no one answered). Just enjoy your time here, interact, play nice and be helpful and the hearts will come naturally.

miabt

You're not doing anything wrong at all!  I've been a mod for over a year & I have a lowly 512 hearts!  Like everyone has mentioned, people heart posts for various reasons & you'll build up your hearts over time :smileyhappy:  Keep up all of the great contributions & you'll see those hearts skyrocket!

xo, Mia

JGSFLA

thank you all for your help..to repond to two replies i would like to say that i didnt say thatr becca is better than nars..i said that for what she was trying to achieve I PERSONALLY thought it was better..our advice is based on our personal experiences isnt it? and i apologize for the caps..thats the way i usually type but i wont any longer on here...but i seriously disagree that cap locks is a sign of immaturity!

kalex

[ Edited ]

Of course your advice should be based on your personal experiences.  My point was that it would've been more helpful to add more detail to your response.

Per your rude PM to me - I was not being condescending to you by answering someone else's question as to what "ty" stood for.  

Titian06

@kalex - Thanks (or is that ty?)!  Back in the olden days, on handwritten (yes, handwritten) notes, people would write, "tx" or "thx."

kalex

Some aren't as free with heart giving as others.  I typically heart messages I find funny, interesting, or genuinely helpful.  It takes a long time and a lot of participation to build up hearts. 

As constructive criticism, on one question it would've been better to say why the NARS is great and how the Becca is best.  Not just simply that they are.

Welcome to our community!

nebel

I agree with everything that has already been said- also, please be patient.  I'm on BT regularly and outside of your posts within the past hour I've never seen you post before... The Internet doesn't happen in real time. People have other things to do, especially on holidays.  

michmo

I think some people don't really even think to click the hearts.  It took me a while here before I started noticing that and even now I'm sometimes multitasking while on BT and forget.  

Don't worry about the number of hearts :smileywink:

Titian06

JGSFLA:  I was not going to respond to your question, until I went to the next post and saw you had a post.  I have seen two responses and this question.  The two responses were in all caps and this question is in all lower case.  Please learn to type in upper and lower case letters.  In netiquette, all caps is the equivalent of shouting.  Also, writing in all lower case letters (my opinion) shows a lack of maturity.  Correct punctuation is also helpful.  Are the two periods a period and a typo or an attempt at an ellipsis, which is made using three periods (...)?

I read this post only because it is in lower case letter, which is easier to read than all caps.  However, it is still annoying to read lower case I's--did she leave a letter off--is, if, in, it, etc.?  (I haven't even asked about the "ty.")

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 114 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • kalex
    • sephoralovex
    • poshified
    • ChicDabbler
    • roxystar4
    • latinadiva