JGSFLA

What are the best brushes out there?

I use sephora and sigma brushes but they wear out on me quickly even though i shampoo them..anyone know of good affordable brushes? are the MAC brushes/bobbi brown brushes worth the price?  Ty for ur advice!`

Manda

Re: What are the best brushes out there?

(0) Hearts

Another brand of good brushes, which were not mentioned here, were Crown brushes.  I have a complete set of Italian Badger hair and I love them! 

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Sephora, Real Techniques (sold at Ulta), and Bobbi Brown are all wonderful.  BB's are the priciest, so you have to watch what you get, but she has some very specific ones that others don't.

JGSFLA

Thank you..great advice..I have never heard of  the technique brushes but im going to try them for sure!

janinebt

My brush collection is a hodge podge. I have some from all sorts of brands. I'm also a big fan of the Sephora collection brushes, I've had many of mine for years and have nothing negative to say about them. Two of my favorite Sephora brushes are the bronzing brush and our classic smudge brush (great for the lower lash line).

swfupload_1760356295436241430.jpg

swfupload_8381152043738349577.jpg

Whimsically yours,
Janine
sephoralovex

Everyone is giving great brands. I also highly recommend Real Techniques and MAC. I have brushes from MAC and Sigma for 4 years now and to this day I am still using them and they work great. I recommend using a gentle shampoo for washing your brushes. I use baby shampoo. When drying them, lay them flat. Never put them standing back up or the water will get to the silver handle and will get loose.

Kiki1517

Why are they wearing out on you so fast? They really shouldn't do that if you are taking proper care of them. Easiest thing for me when washing is the use of my Benjabelle Brush Tree! Just pop em in upside down and ensures that no water gets in the handle as they dry. 

As far as different brands of brushes, I hardly ever use my MAC brushes (besides the 217 blending brush). My absolute favorite brushes are Real Techniques and Bhumi (although I only have a few, they are so expensive, the genius face brush is amazinnnng!). 

prosopon

I am getting the DIY bug!

drrragon

I must have that brush tree!  I had no idea such things existed!

Kiki1517

Youtube gets me to buy too much haha! I got mine during the holidays and am so happy, it's such a lifesaver!

MenaLovesMakeup

You should really consider buying some Coastal Scents makeup brushes. They come in a set of 22 brushes and they have a good quality for the cheap price that they offer! :smileyhappy: you won't regret it! 22piecebrushset_open.jpg

drrragon

I have an embarrassing amount of brushes from Sephora and then a bunch of others from all over.  My absolutely favorite ones are:

Smashbox Studio Pop eye brushes (blender, crease, smudge/liner)

Sephora Professional Domed Powder Brush (discontinued)

Real Techniques Blush Brush (very similar to above)

Real Techniques Duo Fiber Limited Edition Powder brush

I'm not really into luxury goods so I would probably never purchase higher end brushes like Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier, or Trish McEvoy.  Drugstore brushes are waaaaay better than they used to be and are definitely worth checking out (like Real Techniques and EcoTools).

serioustree

I agree with everyone else and most of the brushes I use have already been listed. How often are you washing your brushes? To try and make them last longer, I wash them less often, probably once a week or every other week.  But every day, I spot clean them with a baby wipe, just gently brushing it back and forth til there is no color left, like I would do my face. 

Like Clarks said, lay them flat, only use lukewarm water and never stand them up, and be super gentle with them, I would hate my $30 brush to lose value only after a year.  

Also the only mac brushes I have are duo fibre. I love the Mac duo fibre and haven't found any brand to compare to it. For everything else, you can find great brushes in other brands, Sonia Kashuks individually sold ones, not the ones in sets and Marshall's/TJMax often has hidden treasures. 

poshified

As someone who hates washing brushes, I wash mine every 2 weeks, and then pop them into the Sigma Dry and Shape. If I were using the same blush, for example 2-3 days in a row, I'd keep using the same brush. A couple fewer brushes to clean :smileyvery-happy:

serioustree

Haha! That's awesome! I actually do the same too! It makes sense and your brush keeps longer! 

poshified

The only brushes worth investing from in Sigma are the Sigmax line brushes. All the other ones shed like crazy! Sedona Lace, Real Technique, and Sephora Pros haven't disappointed me.

drrragon

hey have you tried any of the Sigma Mrs. Bunny line?  It sounds funny but they are all synthetic and I was curious about them.  That and the set of 5 different-shaped kabuki brushes.

poshified

Oops I meant to say the synthetic Sigma line brushes are worth investing in, which includes Sigmax and the Mrs. Bunny. Just steer clear from their natural hair brushes :smileyhappy:

clarks18

How often do you shampoo them?  What are you using to clean them with?  That might be something you want to switch up.  Also when cleaning them never stand them in a cup to dry or apply heat to them.  Lay them flat and let them air dry.  Or hang them upside down so the water doesn't get into where the handle attaches to the brush.  I just use basic antibacterial dish soap.  Also to breakup heavy foundaions or concealers you can rub olive oil into them then apply the soap.  I've had good luck with my Sephora brushes and they are some of my everyday favorites.  I do not own any Sigma brushes but have heard good things about them.  MAC brushes are well worth the price.  I love all of their eye brushes.  I have a couple of the ELF brushes.  The ones with the black handles though, not the white.  Those to me are worthless and poorly made.  I've found some great brushes at TJ Maxx, and Marshalls.  They sometimes have Soho, Model's Own, and the black ELF line.  I've also heard great things baout Sedona Lace. 

prosopon

I also use a variety of brands.  I buy brushes based on quality and function.  Sometimes they can be cheap and sometimes more expensive.  

I know that how you wash brushes can also have an effect on the longevity.  When the brushes are drying you should make sure they are pointed down or on their side to ensure that the moisture does't work its way up the brushs and ruin them.

bananachoox3

I love my Real Technique brushes. Cam imagine makeup without them. As well as MAC, Sigma, and Bubbi Brushes. Brushes usually last very long if you take really good care of them. I have multiplies of MAC 217 cause I'm too lazy to clean them. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 55 hearts
  • 21 in conversation
    • prosopon
    • sephoralovex
    • Manda
    • drrragon
    • jennypenny1995
    • janinebt