Derienjocelyn

Wedding in three weeks tan before or after the beach

Let me first state that I only go tanning before my yearly vacation so I do not get burnt and peel. I do however have a slight base tan from relaxing by the pool. 

So I suppose my question is should I go tanning prior to the beach trip so I do not burn ... and turn into a reptile!! Or after I get back to rid myself of tan lines before the wedding ( I'm a bridesmade wearing a strapless dress)  

What would you ladies do?!?

Derienjocelyn

Re: Wedding in three weeks tan before or after the beach

Thank you to everyone for your feed back I truly appreciate everyone's wisdom and concern and you all have really opened my eyes to things I haven't thought about... 

In the end I will most definatly be stocking up on some sunless tanner and a cute bathing suit with strap options!! I might even post what I buy to help enable you :smileywink:

shame on me too I even bought the sun safety kit :smileyhappy: Im totally packing the entire thing with me and putting it to great use! 

thanks ladies x.o. derien

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Happy to help, Derien! Best of luck bathing suit shopping and stocking up on new sunless tanning goodies!

heartsmyface

[ Edited ]

me?   I'd wear a lot of sunscreen and not tan at all because all a tan indicates is that your skin has already been damaged by radiation And is trying to minimize further damage.   I would slather that sunscreen on real thick every two hours or so.  don't forget to reapply because sunscreens only last for a couple hours max.

I would fake a tan using a bottle if that tanned golden look was my goal.  No real tan is safe.  Stay safe out there and you'll be looking younger and healthy for much longer:smileywink: 

AmyRai

I would get a bathing suit with removable straps to wear to the beach.

lylysa

Enabling new bathing suit purchase!!! High five!!!!! :smileytongue:

kalex

[ Edited ]

Right!? :smileyhappy:  But hopefully the OP has seen the collective wisdom in our words and will be wearing adequate sunscreen (and thus will not need to worry about tan lines anyway).

lylysa

Yeah, to Derien, please don't think any of us are being mean or preachy, the fact of the matter is, sun safety is now all together too easy of a step to skip and with so much research and advancements made in skin care and skin protection it'd be doing a dis-service by not practicing proper sun care. Achieving vibrant, healthy color can still be done, just in much safer ways now and all of us are really out to look after each other to ensure we have skin that we want to love and love being in! :smileyvery-happy:

HarlemJPN

I agree with lylysa! Control your tan (and prevent skin cancer and premature aging while doing it) by using a self tanner or bronzed. They've come a long, long way!

sephora's best is the vita liberata tanner. Pick up the $12 sephora brand mit and exfoliator for extra-easy application.

vita liberata has a variety of options. Here's my fave (in medium):

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=VITA%20LIBERATA%20pHenomenal%202-3%20Week%2...

http://www.sephora.com/everything-under-the-sun-tanning-set-P385624?skuId=1579101

for a non-sephora option, give tan towels a look-see.

lylysa

Hi, DerienJocelyn!

Have you considered sunless options such as spray tans, towelettes, lotions, mousses, gels, mists, or creams?

Several of the users here in Beauty Talk, included myself are big advocates for sun safety practices and sun health with the proponent that just because the less-flattering effects of tanning (whether it's naturally in the sun or through tanning beds) aren't immediately seen, doesn't mean they won't happen and they aren't already in the works. UVB rays are those associated with generating color, deepening pigment, and even burning of skin while UVA rays are the deeper penetrating rays that are linked with skin damage and bringing on factors of premature aging (the alteration of skin's texture and quality, sun spots/discoloration, etc.) and these are these are the rays which effects don't come until later in life which so many people end up having to fight to combat and reverse.

Since you mention having a slight base tan already, why not invest in a simple cream with a hint of pigment and even glow to give skin that nice sheen? Drugstore brands like Jergens and beauty/department store brands like Lorac's TANtalizer make it easy to give skin color without exposure to UV rays and you can work to build up color to your liking.

Please utilize sunscreen and its reapplication to fit in with the time frames and conditions that you'll be in the sun. If you need any further information on sunscreens or sunless tanners, please let us know! There's a wealth of knowledge here on BT that we can link you and share!

emmaclaire

I would not give myself skin cancer, so I would wear proper sun protection (at least SPF 50, applied in the shade in a cool area at least 30 minutes before sun exposure, reapplied at least every 2 hours and after swimming, toweling off, and/or sweating).  If for whatever reason I wanted to be tanned for an event I would get a spray tan because it doesn't cause skin damage and potentially cancer.

mlmac

I wear SPF 50 like it's going out of style.  I love the Sheiseido face and body.  Every hour I'm in the sun I reapply.  I'm ALL for reading by the pool and playing in the sun but I urge you to consider sun safety before you worry about tan lines and burns!  :smileyhappy:

kalex

I would load up on sunscreen so I neither tan nor burn.  You're not doing your skin (or your future health) any favors by tanning so you don't burn.  The tan itself is damage to your skin.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 44 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • kalex
    • emmaclaire
    • lylysa
    • mlmac
    • AmyRai
    • Derienjocelyn