michmo

Underrated and Overhyped?

Just for fun:

What do you think is an underrated product or brand?

What do you think is an overhyped product or brand?

For me, my answers would be:

Underrated would be LORAC.  I really love all the products I've tried.  With the exception of the Pro Eyeshadow Palette, many of the other products get overlooked.  However, in my opinion they are always really high quality.  

Overhyped would be Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder.  I know many people will think I'm crazy with this, but I find it very high priced and there are products out there that can give a similar effect.  I have it but don't really love it. 

kalex

Re: Underrated and Overhyped?

Underrated - Wet n Wild nail polish.  I only own one at the moment but the next time I'm at the drugstore I'll be getting more.  It didn't chip until the third day and that is unheard of for me!

Overhyped - I agree on the Hourglass Ambient Powder.  I like it but I won't be buying it again if I ever run out.  Also, Smashbox Primers.  I cannot for the life of me figure out how these have reached some sort of cult status.  I've tried 3 different formulas and hated them all.

poshified

(0) Hearts

WnW Fergalicious is one of my go-to colors this Summer!

michmo

(0) Hearts

I also said the Ambient Lighting Powder.  I just don't feel like it was worth the cost for me.  

kenny

(0) Hearts

I felt that way too, about the Ambient lighting Powder until I saw my reflection in the mirror in the bathroom at uni. Normally the lighting is terrible in those bathrooms and make everyone look deathly, but when I had the powder on I actually looked normal, not just normal, but radiant and my skin looked softened. This was what sold me on the powder, in regular lighting I found it looked the same.

lolo01

Overrated MAC Products- who needs that much makeup....and NARS Orgasm ( I love it but cmon now)

Underrated.....Im not sure lol

poshified

MAC lipsticks especially!

jellybean917

Haha I totally agree about NARS Orgasm!

michmo

[ Edited ]

I agree about Nars Orgasm too.  I found it makes me look a bit orange or ruddy (not in a good way).  

And there are so many other beautiful blushes out there but everyone keeps buying Orgasm because of the hype.  

michmo

I thought of another overhyped, but I know that not many people will agree with me.  I hated and had an awful reaction to Josie Maran's pure Argan Oil.  I really wanted to love her products, but that one was so bad for me.  I am calling it overhyped because while it really does work for some, I think it's misleading the way so many people claim that it's good for EVERYONE. 

arielaaaaaaaa

I think when people claim it's good for everyone they are referring to skin type. Argan oil can be used for Dry, Normal, Combination skin types. Just like every product some people have reactions to it. It has a lot of hype to it, overly expensive depending how you use it. 

michmo

Yes, I understand that it can be used by various skin types, but I don't find it as universal as the claims make it.  While I know that all people react differently to skin products, I find many of the skin oils to be overly marketed as universal.  And I cannot stand when people claim that it will be good for everyone b/c it is "pure".  

poshified

Overrated makeup line: Benefit, Bobbi Brown

Underrated makeup line: Kat Von D, Givenchy

Overrated skincare line: Clinique

Underrated skincare line: Algenist

rikkie

Yes, to all of these! I think Algenist may suffer from their plain packaging, it's not exciting to recommend if it looks so blah from the outside. The product inside is great though!

trucie

Clinique works wonders on me! :smileywink:

poshified

LOL I think if their packaging were gold and shiny or purple and green, they'd get more attention!

LadyInWhite

Ya know, I hate to say it, but half the reason why I'm devoted to Urban Decay is the heavy amount of purple in their packaging.  I mean, they're great, but my first reaction when I saw them was "I'm going to buy that eyeshadow because the display is so pretty . . . and purple."  Oh, well.

poshified

(0) Hearts

I always stop and admire the UD eyeshadow display at Sephora stores. I wouldn't mind owning the entire collection at some point haha!

kittichick

Recently I finally admitted to myself that I LOVE pretty packaging. I know it has nothing to do with the product itself, but... I just appreciate the effort put in to making them pretty. 

poshified

(0) Hearts

Tarina Tarantino had some of the best packaging, I think! I love Benefit's cute packaging, but the line's meh at best.

rikkie

I definitely have to question myself sometimes whether I am buying something because I like/want it, is it better than that other brand, or do I just like their packaging better? The way you present your product to your customers is SO important! 

poshified

(0) Hearts

I think one line that has both the packaging and quality down to a tee is Jill Stuart! :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 95 replies
  • 100 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • ashhay
    • poemelyric
    • wendyomgwar