Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Rouge welcome 2017... what I was told in store...

So, not sure if this is true (I'm always sceptical of what I'm told in this store), but I was told this last week:

Rouge cards are being "phased out."

I qualified for Rouge for the first time in November 2016, when Sephora.ca and both of the only 2 stores in my province were sold out of Rouge welcome kits. I was told by one of these stores to keep checking back for next year's gift, because my account would still say I hadn't received my kit yet and I'd get it as soon as next year's arrived.

Now, both of these stores - not sure about your locals - are well known for treating you differently based on what colour Beauty Insider card you produce, so I was SUPER excited to get my red card. I didn't even particularly care which welcome gift I got, 2016 or 2017, as long as I finally got my red card.

After multiple tries, the 2nd store FINALLY told me they had the new kits... But they checked my account, and "it says you're not eligible."

They made me stand there at the counter and go back through 2 months worth of emails to find the one that said "go pick up your welcome kit"... Despite having shown them an email for an "in-store" promo code - with VIB Rouge at the top of the email - that they also said they didn't have. 

Eventually, I was given my kit, and when I asked if my Rouge card was in it, I was told:

"Oh, they don't have them anymore. They're phasing out the red cards, and are planning to eventually get rid if the silver and black ones too, because they want everyone to use the app instead."

At this point I was so peeved I just left... and got home to find a) it was the 2016 gift they'd been saying they'd been out of for 2 months, and b) it didn't have a Rouge card in it anyway, but said "congrats on another year at the top."

So who knows how much of this was just BS, but needless to say I am already over this Rouge thing. After years of watching people with red cards be treated like gold in my local stores, while I could barely get help, I'm wondering what why I ever thought this would be worthwhile in the first place...

Re: Rouge welcome 2017... what I was told in store...

I say just be ab*tch about it when you walk in like "I'm a rouge, I pay your salary, now give me the rouge treatment that I know you give"

Also my Sephora is AMAZING but the one near my ex was SO awful.They were nasty and when I used a gift card and didn't have enough money, they cancelled the transaction but THE MONEY DIDN'T GO BACK ON THE CARD!! And then when I tried to use it again they basically accused me of lying because I said they took my money. I was furious. Like, you flat out steal from me and then say I am lying? It took forever to convince someone they stole my money. I was crying in the middle of Sephora and these girls were completely unphased.

Hmm.. I've never been treated any better because I was Rouge. Actually, just recently I was thanked by one of the cashiers for shopping as a Rouge.. and it felt almost weird because I've never had that happen to me.

I'd personally love a physical red card, just for keepsakes, but the in-app/apple wallet card is much more practical.

What province are you in if you don't mind me asking? I also live in a province with only 2 Sephoras and I have found the staff to be very helpful. They are always there to help and have offered to make me samples not knowing that I am Rouge.

I went to the St. Catherine Sephora in Montreal over the holidays and it was a tollaly different story. I had to hunt someone down to help me pick out a KVD foundation. The sales person was the rudest person I've ever encountered in retail.. and that says a lot. She was so condescending and said things like "you look really tired" and "you look like you are daydreaming". I was in shock for days and couldn't get over how people can get away with that. That Sephora is known to have terrible staff. Everybody I know that lives DT Montreal orders online so they don't have to deal with those people.

So yeah, you can get treated like crap or great and I don't think it has anything to do with being rouge. It's all about the staff and how happy or misearable they are at work.

Omg you're so right!!! I hate going there but I find it ''better'' /less horrible than the one in Dix30. Both stores have horrible staff tho. They don't say anything about the points, they don't offer anything and if you want a sample of a product they are annoyed. Now I order online or if I really have to go to the store I go to St-Bruno lol...

I personally don't care about having the piece of plastic. I would rather have other better benefits. How do they treat customers differently based on your card color if they don't see it until you check out? Is that in regard to regular customers? Everyone should get the same good service ( in the store near me, everyone gets bad service regardless of status).

I'm in Toronto where there's probably thousands of Rouge card holders. I can't even begin to imagine getting better service. I'd be happy just to catch the eye of someone at the Eaton Centre location to check stock. 

Just out of curiosity, how do the employees at your stores know someone is Rouge shopper? I've never shown my card until I'm paying for my purchases. And it has made no difference on the samples I get as compared to people at tills beside me. 

Haha, I honestly think people here just know what result it'll produce, because I've literally seen people march up to staff - Rouge card in outstretched hand - to ask for help...

Let's see (I know I said earlier this got long and depressing, but here goes nothing!)... I've been the one standing in line, two people behind the Rouge getting gushed over and given multiple unsolicited deluxe and foil samples, who gets to the counter and has the same person tells me they don't have "that"  promo in the email I'm showing them (heavily implying the do have others)... then pointedly asked them  if they're giving out any samples today and been told, "Well, if you show us an email, we'll tell you whether or not we have it."

I've frequently seen staff at the cash desk stuffing foils into Rouges' bags... I always hoped I'd also get home and find a few secretly slipped into mine... never once did as a VIB, but I'm holding out hope now!!!

I've seen the same staff member give a Rouge a promo when they just asked for it by name, then tell a VIB they had to show the email. I've even been in the store when a Rouge was given a promo, and a VIB later told "we never got it."

Last time my best friend was in town and shopped in our local store (there isn't a store where she lives now) she was was so upset by how differently she was treated before and after she produced her silver card, she spent half her husband's birthday party talking about it...

Ladies, I could go on for days... I wish I was even exaggerating... 

People get treated 'differently' based on the color of their card?????  I find this very hard to believe.  

As they barely blink when you do show them the Rouge card.  Lol!!

I think you are under the impression that Rouges get treated with tons of adoration, are given mountains of samples and attention and whatnot.  Nope!

We just get the same awesome service everyone else gets!  

I didn't even know they had other cards as the reward account system has always been just like any other store (grocery, Petsmart, etc) by some kind of identification  such as email or phone. 

If people can't use their data plan or App.....just do what I do.  Take a photo of what you are trying to show the cashier!   (so much easier and faster than trying to get on the internet, etc)

I wouldn't have said it if I hadn't experienced and witnessed it multiple times myself, and had multiple friends and family members independently say the same thing (i.e., without having ever heard me say it first) - that would be as unfair to the stores' staff as the way we've been treated there.

I started to write out specific things I've seen and experienced in my local stores, but the post just started to get so long and time consuming - and, frankly, all kinds of depressing - so I'll just say this instead:

Maybe it's different in bigger cities where there are more people with more money to spend... Maybe it just depends on your store and who runs it... But if your store treats everyone equally well (or equally badly) you're lucky, because, unfortunately, it's not that way everywhere or for everyone.

I don't think this has anything to do with a Rouge card.  I have never received special treatment for being Rouge when I hand them my card.  I have never ever ever received anything for no reason because I showed my card. And I have never seen anyone else get treatment like that. They treat all the customers equal.  I have been to many Sephoras throughout the years.  Maybe this is just something with your store.

I think I have always been treated very well at both of the Sephoras I go to. Sometimes they will thank me for being a Rouge when I show my card at checkout, but that's about it for special treatment. Honestly, I'd prefer not to get any special treatment - even the thank you (which is very nice) just reminds me of how much money I have spent there! 🙂

I agree with you, wheeeee, at least in my local Sephora, everyone gets awesome customer service. I've been known to most of the staff for years (before I was Rouge). 

Sadly, I went to a different (larger) Sephora over the weekend for a skincare class, and seriously was almost in tears as I left. I guess the associates there didn't really care too much, as they knew I wasn't one of their "regulars." I guess it all depends on the store.

Girl, I've been trying to hunt down that card for 2 years at least.... it hasn't existed in my city in years 

Also no one gets treated special at my store if that makes any difference 

Hi @skate08

I'm sorry to hear this and will be sure to forward your feedback regarding your local Sephora store. We are currently in the process of phasing out our physical Beauty Insider cards and our Welcome/Requalification kits do not include the physical card. I apologize for any inconvenience. You are very welcome to ask a Sephora store you visit if they still have the physical Rouge cards available.

I am also sorry to hear about the promotion you wanted to claim was not available. Promotional availability can vary by store and we recommend contacting your local Sephora store prior to visiting to ensure availability. 

XOXO,
Marieke

@skate08 Unfortunately physical cards are being phased out (ever since the beginning to middle of 2016 - if I'm not mistaken) 😞 Sephora wants us to use the digital cards.

What about those who don't have a data plan, and can't use the app in-store? I know you can still use your email address to access your account for points.

I'm in your boat, @Beadshopgirl. Except I don't have a smart phone, period. They're going to have to take my phone number or email.

*mini rant: I actually get pretty annoyed when stores assume everyone has a smart phone...I still consider it a luxury item

**Oh my god, the irony of me saying that in a chatroom devoted to expensive makeup...

They have always accepted my telephone number or email. 🙂

same for me!

That was my first thought, Beadshopgirl. I do have data, and half the time my phone still freezes as soon as I try to show an email to get a promo - which I've seem them deny without being able to produce, even if you could give your address and the EXACT code.

I also know people whose phones don't support the app.

Le sigh. Never going to get in-store respect.

Conversation Stats
testing