nathaliew

Rouge "surprise" gifts

Hey guys! I am about to hit Rouge and I know that this question has been asked before but I´ll ask it again just to see if there has been any updates:

Have any of you recieved a "surprise gift" yet???? So far I haven't heard of any :smileysad: 

Carmen241986

Re: Rouge "surprise" gifts

(0) Hearts

I understand what your saying Katty and I agree it should be thought out properly before putting it to use. I just have faith that it's going to happen before next year. I never expected to become Rouge. I was just doing a whole re-vamp of stuff and that's how I got it. I don't plan to re qualify next year. I'm sure by then they'll have all the kinks worked out and will be steady. 

anaa

Still no surprises here.  I am wondering if the first group went to the biggest spenders....I haven't been rouge for long and since making it haven't really spent much more than $1,000.  I've actually only seen one person post about getting something.

Carmen241986

I believe that all Rouge members should be given fair treatment. If someone spends 5 K and someone else spends only 1 K and the higher spender gets a more elaborate gift while the one who spends less gets a dinky gift that isn't fair business practice in my eyes. I think that they should be able to give a gift of equal quality/value to everyone. Fair is fair to me.

Katty2323

I've wondered the same thing. Either that or people that they know had a social media presence since I've seen 4 or 5 people who use twitter or similar posting photos of the gift items they received. It would be perfect from a marketing stand point if that was the case. It would get everyone excited to push towards reaching rouge to get the same thing as a perk. Only... they dont intend on giving out similar to everyone else and tell us we wont get every perk offered to rouge members and that it will be randomly selected who receives what item. which is actually what a few forum mods have said is the case.(the not getting every perk and it being decided randomly part) Rouge is advertised like we each will be able to redeem every perk they said rouge will receive. only in reality its selected for us which one we will receive... kinda messed up in my opinion.

marydiva

Well, the key with surprise gifts is that they are SURPRISES. Plus I feel like this year is more about qualifying for Rouge, next year is probably where perks will kick in. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Rouges got something for the winter holidays. People are so gosh-darn impatient. I think it's the culture of American entitlement. Not to get snappy or anything, but Americans always feel so ENTITLED to things. 

Sephora doesn't owe you a gift. Sephora doesn't owe you points. Sephora doesn't owe you free samples. 

They're extras. People have been saying "I spent $1000 and got nothinnggggg" Guess what? You didn't get nothing. You got $1000 worth of product. You made the choice to spend your money. 

I hope this doesn't sound mean. It's not my intention. I just can't stand the constant complaining about a lack of Rouge perks. 

katie1724

I'm too internet illiterate to find a handclapping / thumbs up GIF, but YES -- on all points. Thank you, A+++. 

kalex

Agreed.

bratknits

I spent $1,000 here for promised perks when I could have spent it elsewhere and gotten immediate perks.  It's not being entitled to expect Sephora to keep up their end of a bargain.  It's not being impatient to expect them to follow through before next year after months of being promised "soon."  Yes they do owe what they promised or it's false advertising not to mention just plain dishonest.

If you don't like the complaining, don't read the threads.  I don't like the sephora apologist threads so I don't read or post in them.

KittehzeKat

I second every word you said

marydiva

It's never a good idea to spend money to get something that isn't set in stone, doesn't have a guarantee or a due date. If you're spending money to get a "surprise" that you have no idea about, then you have only yourself to blame. That's not smart consumerism. Sephora didn't specify WHEN the surprise gifts would occur - therefore, in a court of law, it is absolutely not false advertising. 

bratknits

(0) Hearts

From where exactly do you draw that legal conclusion? 

marydiva

(0) Hearts

I study corporate law. :smileyhappy:

bratknits

At age 17 you're in law school?

marydiva

No. Clearly not. :smileyhappy: I've been taking law classes since 8th grade. 

I've been in mock trial competitively since 8th grade as well. 

My grandfather is a corporate attorney who argued cases before the supreme court. We have a countless number of lawyers in the family. 

At this time, actually my mother is suing my aunt. XD

Let's just say I'm around court rooms and the judicial system constantly - I'll be majoring in Poly/Sci on the pre-law track next year. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. :smileyhappy:

bratknits

Oh I'm absolutely positive you think you do.  You see, we have lawyers in my family too and one of them just happens to specialize in consumer law.  I think I'll go with his conclusions on this topic.

ghkim

(0) Hearts

i'm genuinely curious - what is his take on this topic?

marydiva

That's fine. But in a real courtroom, all the Sephora attorney would have to do is point the fact that there was no date specified as to when a "surprise" gift would arrive or the value/magnitude of what that surprise gift would be. Ultimately, it's an extremely flawed case and wouldn't even make it to trial, in all likelihood. :smileyhappy: 

bratknits

(0) Hearts

No, it'd be a matter of reasonable expectations and assumptions on the part of a consumer given the advertising.  Reasonable for an average consumer, not "fans" of the brand.  I'm sure it wouldn't make it to trial as well, they'd settle and admit no wrong doing.  That's how big class actions work the majority of the time.  Companies settle and admit no wrongdoing all the time, it's a game to minimize costs and impact on brand equity.  It certainly doesn't mean they didn't do anything wrong.

love2shop42

(0) Hearts

I agree with you,  the jurisdiction would be in California in accordance with the terms of use agreement which Sephora specifically says applies, therefore the relevant consumer statutes UCL, FAL, and possibly the CLRA would come into play. What strikes me as so odd is that the terms of use states that there is a one year limitation to bring suit, and this is in direct contradiction to the CLRA provisions which you cannot waive and specifies a three year statute of limitations. Basically, their User Agreement is quite archaic.

karasulli

This would likely be examined under Article 2 of the UCC

love2shop42

(0) Hearts

The plaintiff is the master of their complaint, and they normally will allege various violations and literally employ a kitchen sink approach. Good catch on the UCC, as the UCL does allow a plaintiff to "borrow"  alleged violations of other  laws - state, federal, statutory, regulatory or common law- to create UCL "unlawful" business practice claims. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 94 replies
  • 186 hearts
  • 44 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • nathaliew
    • hydee77
    • anaa
    • theramenlover