beauty212

Point perks! Birthday gifts, BORED!

Okay, so is it just me or are ther people kinda dissapointed with the point perks? I wait and wait till there is something good for me to get with my hard earned perks, but nthing usually comes along! They need to have rewards people are interested in! Some cool products. I also think that the birthday gifts are sometimes a little boring at times. The sugar lip balms were nice, but i was hoping for something....... more BAM.....i guess. I loved the philosophy body wash, but that is because i love philosophy. We need to have a short listof 3 or 4 things..... Interesting things.... to pick from for our birthday gifts. And for our point perks we should be able to pick what we want from the sight, but within a price limit, of course. The whole back to mac thing they have at MAC cosmetics is really fun. YOu buy stuff and go get to exchange a for another item. thats fun, and saves the planet. I wish they would bring something like this to sephora as well. Anybody else got some cool ideas like this? and agree about the point perks and presents? :smileyhappy:

etherealbliss

Re: Point perks! Birthday gifts, BORED!

I think Sephora has made some great improvements to the perks as of late.  The Fresh lip perk actually turned me on to the brand and now I can't live without the Fresh Sugar lip scrub.  The only thing I think would be better is if they offered both make-up and skin care gifts as the 500 point options.  I think it's GREAT that we now have 3 perks to choose from (which beats the heck out of having only 1 like before), but I have noticed that for weeks now, there have only been skin care perks available.  I know this is probably great for someone who doesn't already have a successful skin care regiment, but I think there should always be at least one cosmetic option for the make-up junkies.  Hopefully there will be some nice ones coming soon, so I can spend my 1000+ points :smileytongue:.

ran8

There are some point perks that are not so interesting.  When a good one comes around, it make me feel good that I held onto the points for something i love or catches my interest.  I also find it humbling not to have impulse wants with every item when it comes to points. 

I love the Fresh Sugar Lip treatments.  This year's birthday perk to me is awesome.  Last year's... I forgot to donate and will have to find the opportunity to do so. 

The problem of picking between the birthday gifts would be limited stock problems.  Anyone in January would easily have choice selection.. roll around to summer, there might be one item that has a shortage while there is a surplus of the other.  I would be a bit agitated if the fresh was out and the leftovers were not so appealing.  I would feel bad for anyone who had a birthday in December.  One item leads to less disappointment.

The last 500 point snagged up was the bliss set.  The Caudalie does not look half bad either. 

For recycling, it would be nice for a recycling program, especially in communities that do not have collection programs available.  However since Sephora is a business, maybe on a periodic basis (annually, bi-annual, or quarterly) there would be a small perk reward for returning empty beauty containers and packaging to the store. 

I was also happy to see a few men's 100 point items to choose from as well.  No fun to exclude them from point offers. 

elizbeth1972

@beautyester - sounds like a plan!  Here's to September hehe

makeupobesessed

I'm iffy on the perks too. I used to get 100 perks just because but I've recently become more picky. I think the VIB perks are way better, and most times the codes to use when checking out are better too.
prettyinpa

The current 500 point perk, Caudalie skincare set looks to be pretty neat, though I'm curious how big the containers are.

Maybe Sephora could give a full sized perk, just every once in awhile?  At other beauty places, they give full sized product-granted, it's full sized of something relatively inexpensive, like makeup remover pads, but it still feels real. I did like the 200 point St Tropez tanner, that one was actually substantial, I don't think I've even used up a quarter of it yet, and I've been using it alot. More 200 point perks would be nice, it seemed much better than 2 skimpy 100 point perks. 

I gave away the Philosophy Birthday cake shower gel, food smelling stuff turns me off. Did like the 3 piece makeup kit and love the lip treatments. The size on them is actually pretty good, I haven't finished either yet. 

ChicDabbler

Sephora promos are no longer competitive enough. Maybe they were better, but now Ulta and Beauty.com are on par with the samples offered. I made three $10-$15 purchase from Beauty.com and was able to get for free: Origins Brighter by Nature Peels (20 pads), Juicy Beauty Green Apple Peel and Moisturizer set (.5oz each), and DDF Wrinkle Resist Pore Minimizer (.5oz). All with free shipping because ShopRunner is free for 1 year. Those products are on par with Sephora and with bigger size.

I totally would love for Sephora to have a recycle program, like recycling 5 empty bottle and get 1 product, or even a 100pt perks.

p.s. Urgh, clicked the wrong button and almost lost the post. Thank god BT now have autosave!

p.p.s. lol, it seems like there's quite a few September baby on here! We should totally throw a BT birthday party in September!!

elizbeth1972

beautytester - you read my mind, I was going through these posts and was like I am a September baby too lol.  I totally agree with you, I have been making more purchases on beauty.com lately because of the crazy samples you can get.  I haven't signed up for shoprunner though, so I usually try to make the $25 dollar min. purchase.  But yeah, I just placed an online order on Sephora.com and like couldn't pick a promo I liked.  I have two more items to pick up and I am thinking of getting them on beauty.com because I will be getting like 2 deluxe samples.  I posted something in the VIB section about being able to choose a couple of the leftover promos.  It was after the fact that I saw they actually have a code  YOURGIFT for a mystery gift, which basically looks like all of the leftover promos from the past 6 months or so.  I kinda think, if there are so many leftovers around, why not let us choose more than one?

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

@elizabeth. Agreed!!! The VIB perks over the long run are only marginally better than normal perks and totally not appreciating the fact we spent so much money. I think VIB should be able to redeem 2 promo code per order, or 500pt perks for 100pt, or a full size product up to $50 value when we qualify for VIB.

lol, I'm already brainstorming our September birthday bash. We can each post what our fantasy b-day party would be, the top 3 items on our wish list or favorite list, and 1 favorite funny video or picture. Oohh, now I can't wait. =D

wpg

(0) Hearts

To be honest, since I became a VIB last year I haven't seen any benefits to being a VIB vs a BI. Maybe that's because I'm in Canada though? I for sure think that VIB's should get more than what I seem to be getting!

I am going to agree with the birthday gift not being so great sometimes. I loved the 3 lip glosses that I got a couple years ago, and then one year I got a mini eyeshadow, mini mascara and mini eyeliner (completely used all 3). But for 2 of the 4 years I've been a BI the birthday gift was the Philosophy Birthday cake body wash. I'm super sensitive when it comes to a lot of scents, and the sticky sweet ones like this are the worst. When I placed my one order and got the body wash, I literally had to take the body wash to my parents place after opening the package the smell of it was so strong.

I was recently able to redeem 500 points though for a pretty awesome perk. The Too Faced The Naked Look palate was really good. I like all the shades in it. I'm not a HUGE fan of the texture of the glosses, but they're not so bad that I can't wear them. It was definitly a good thing to spend my points on!

makeupobesessed

(0) Hearts

Now that the VIB clutch has come and gone, I am really not loving the 100 pt perks anymore.  It seems as if they are so insignificant for 100$ in spending.  I used to be content because I felt that they didn't really have to  reward  shoppers since most places don't, but there are so many places to buy makeup, Ulta has a better reward system, and most times if you shop directly on the products website, they offer free samples when ordering and they don't need points.  Clinique and UD had some great deluxe samples when I ordered  from  them during their sale.  I like the 500 perks usually, but it's a lot of points for them, and after getting full sized VIB perks or a collection of 8 deluxe samples for a $35 purchase....the 100 point perk after spending $100 seems very meager.  I dont see why I should stay loyal to just Sephora when there are so many others out there offering freebies.  I haven't had to buy a mascara in ages!  

makeupobesessed

(0) Hearts

But I do like the birthday gift of the Fresh lip flosses. 

bijouxkristyna

Here's the thing, Sephora is always going to offer something different for everyone.  That is why our points don't expire.  Just because *I* may not want a foundation primer, doesn't mean the client in line behind me won't want to redeem point for it.  I figure there is always something new coming out.  There was a full size 100pt perk of skincare not that long ago, what an awesome deal.  I'm always happy to get my free birthday gift, I can't wait to get my birthday gift this year, Fresh lip treatments are awesome!  There is NO counter, or other beauty store that I can just get a free birthday gift.  How cool that they do that.

Recent freebies that I didn't have to use points for "Bare Minerals Mini foundation with mini buki brush", "Benefit Mini Oxygen foundation", "too faced sample with purchase", "VIB clutch", etc. etc.  Sephora's always giving freebies and samples.  I just can't get those things at any counter.

dolceloure

(0) Hearts

I'm not crazy about the rewards offered by Sephora, BUT I feel like it's more of a matter of personal taste -- I've only redeemed for 1 500 point perk (tarte set) not because the others were a bad value, but they just didn't appeal to me or I already had the products being offered.

I'm constantly on the fence in terms of loyalty, between Sephora and Ulta. Ulta has great rewards -- platinum members get 1.25x points, for example, and they randomly have bonuses like 2x (or even short windows of 10x! True story!) and they have great flash offers that DON'T require a promo code....you just add it to your cart and it shows up as $0 if you meet the min shopping cart requirement....usually it's a free pouch of samples or a fragrance mini with a $35 purchase or a fragrance purchase...but I've gotten other amazing free items including: a rolling weekend bag on wheels, a robe (well, still waiting on that one, lol), a Michel Kors rollerball, Dolce & Gabbana rollerball....seriously!! Aaand sometimes you can totally double dip and qualify for multiple freebies.That's amazing!!

On the downside, in my experience, Ulta has LOUSY, unreliable customer service, and they don't seem to tend to any of my queries unless I call them up and nag, lol, while Sephora on the other hand has fantastic c. service, be it in person, here, email, facebook.

With all that said, I stop to glance around my apartment, which is cluttered with empty Ulta and Sephora boxes. I could build a freaking fort. lol 

dianabt

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! I think it definitely pays to have our clients share their thoughts on products and perks they'd like to have. :smileyhappy: I just redeemed a PTR laser free 500 pt perk but would sometimes like to have the option for a larger item or perk too which is a fantastic idea I hope we can incorporate into our program. :smileyhappy:

How funny, my birthday is in September too! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
missjr

I'm also a person whose birthday is in September and am anxiously awaiting the opportunity to pick up my Fresh Sugar Kisses Mini Lip Duo and sincerely hope they dont' run out before then.

I've yet to redeem the 500 points rewards because they are very seldom products that I actually use or am interested in.  I just noticed though that there is a Caudalie Beauty Essentials kit, which is actually a brand that I do use so I might be tempted.  

I'm actually more inclined to redeem the 100 points rewards for goodies such as Dior or Lancome mascaras or serums that I may  have been interested in.  I consider the mascaras to be like found money since you typically throw out mascara after 3 months and they can be pretty expensive.

Now if Sephora could find a way to offer makeovers (in addition to the gift) as a birthday perk, I'm all on it! [crossing fingers]

lowrah

I've been satisfied with both the birthday presents and the point perks. I think for free, they're really nice. Yeah, you pay money to earn points, but a lot of stores don't offer such rewards.

The only birthday gift I haven't liked was the Sephora lip gloss trio a while ago. They tasted gross, like chemicals. I liked the Sephora and the Philosophy bath gels, despite both being a scent people don't like- birthday cake. The only downside of the Sephora brand one was the bottle cracked and nearly cut my finger when I pressed it to use it the second time. The eyeliner/shadow/mascara trio was awesome. The Fresh Lip treatments were my favorite.

The only 500 point perk I've received was the Tarte Introduction to Amazonian clay kit a few months ago that had an almost full size Lipsurgence, a full size eyeliner, and deluxe sized Smooth Operator, a bronzer, and I think a primer.

I used to just get whatever 100 point perk was available, but now I'm more selective. I can't remember the ones I got since they were so long ago.

And the VIB/BI promos are nice too. I've picked up a mini bottle of DKNY Golden Delicious, a trio of NARS products, a little hatbox full of awesome deluxe samples, fragrance samplers, skin care samplers, and more. The only promo that was a little underwhelming was the tokidoki cactus nail pups.

lowrah

I should add that it would be cool to have a recycling program like Back to MAC. LUSH has one similar where if you bring in 5 black pots, you get a free face mask.

MacHora

I would definitely like to see Sephora with a recycling program as well!

glamournut

I think Sephora should let VIB's use more than one promo code. Some of us spend into the thousands of $$ here and it would be nice to get a few extra perks. For example being able to pick up both the VIB and Beauty Insider perk, because we are technically both.

I also like the idea of a recycling program for anyone to take part in. Maybe Sephora could have the recycle bins in their store? Sephora doesn't necessarily have to offer perks for this program, although it would be nice. For every two or three containers recycled get a deluxe sample size of something! That would be very nice for the environment and you could boast about being "green" Sephora! 

ChicDabbler

I actually hated the Philosophy stuff since I dislike smelling like food and it's Birthday Cake. I would much much rather have the lip balm duo and am very worried that they might run out of it when Sept (my b-day) comes around. To each their own, so I'm quite happy that they are picking these so most people can use them or gift them.

I do agree-ish with you about the point perks. I'm a skincare nut so I love the skincare kits offered, but the sizes are so small! The size of 100 pt perks are ~2 sample packet, and the size of the skincare kit for 500pt perks are basically a group of deluxe samples. Most of them are not worth the points we accumulated with our own money. I think the pt perks should be better than the samples from promo code, which are sometimes up to $20 in value. The items in the 500pt perks are getting better, but the size of the Amore Pacific and a couple other kit before are pathetic. I would totally be for the idea of $10 off for 100pt perks or something (withOUT using a promo code).

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 76 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • etherealbliss
    • glamournut
    • bijouxkristyna
    • ran8