fluffymuha

PSA: Sephora is updating their return policy

I was in Sephora today and my cashier let me know that they will be updating their return policy. I don't know whether this is Canada-only and when it will take effect.

Whenever the new policy takes effect, when you return items without a receipt you will have to do it as an exchange only. No more store credit. I asked her what happens if the sum of the items you are exchanging for does not match the original price of the item you are exchanging, and she said that it pretty much has to be a perfect straight exchange, otherwise its going to be our loss.

So, either exchange for the same sum, or for something more expensive. 

I really don't understand Sephora's beef with their own gift cards (/store credit). If I'm getting store credit, of course I'm going to be spending that money on Sephora, whether it's going to be at that same moment, or in a week or two. 

redwagon44

Re: PSA: Sephora is updating their return policy

Wait... So returning a ziplock bag of stuff you want to purge from your collection is frowned upon?

:smileyvery-happy:

emmohh

TBH I think it's only a matter of time before they even make the return window smaller to 60 or even 30 days FIRM. 

When I see people wanting to return items 4, 6 months even a year I think what could they have possibly been doing in the past year that they couldn't make time to figure out if the product worked for them and return it within a reasonable amount of time? Something about that is super sketchy to me.

I feel like they're just asking for it to be ruined for the rest of us.

fluffymuha

Since we're being honest, I did keep the Fresh Sugar deodorant standing around for ~2 months, but that's only because I had no idea that I could return things without their original packaging. Once I found out about Sephora's return policy here on the forums, I went and returned it. After I returned it, however, I realized I was an idiot for not knowing that it didn't come in a package to begin with :smileyvery-happy:

emmohh

(0) Hearts

Okay well that's a bit different lol. I am more so referring to the people who blatantly use up the majority of a product and bank on Sephora's generous policy for a refill to keep their makeup habits going or get their products from other sources and take advantage,

For example I am going to have to do my first exchange EVER at Sephora soon about 2 months after purchase. 

I bought an item in store while on vacation which I love but it doesn't do on my face what it did swatched so I will have to exchange it or else it's going to sit unused and unloved. The thing is I don't live near a store... yet. My store doesn't open for another month which means My exchange will happen just under two months of purchase. If I bought it online I would ship it back but I guess I'm in this awkward situation. 

magrat22

(0) Hearts

What you can return things without the original packaging?  Really?  I have an eyeshadow palette that I've no idea what I did with the box but I react to the glitter in the eyeshadow every time I use it.  So annoying as I love the palette.  I always keep boxes until I'm sure I'm okay with the product (I've extremely sensitive skin) but for some reason I didn't with this...d'oh!!

MsGoosie

This seems like it might end up getting pretty complicated and confusing in the long run. But honestly, it isn't too much of a big deal. Sephora's return policy is still one of the best out there, imo! The fact that I can return used beauty products if they don't work out, with or without receipt, *still* blows my mind.

ivyxox

[ Edited ]

My local store told me for return over $100 w/o receipt , it's exchange only. If it is under $100, you can still get a store credit. I think this return policy change is for the ease of bookkeeping. Overall, I think it's still a really generous return policy. You can just return the item when you have something that you want to purchase.

FireSpinner

(0) Hearts

This had better not be Canadian only. (I've never returned anything ever - but still!)  Can't you just pay the difference if the items you want are more then the value of the items you are exchanging ?

fluffymuha

(0) Hearts

Well, you'll have to. The point is that if it's the other way around, you're pretty much screwed. Sephora will not be handing out the difference.

FireSpinner

Oh well that's not too bad then. I'd just make sure that i'm buying more then the value of exchange if ever i had to exchange something. 

carrieloulou

Honestly, I'm surprised they take returns without a receipt at all.  Seems fairly generous to offer an exchange. 

DitzCore

Hmm. Interesting. I can't help but wonder if the cashier had no idea what she was talking about, mostly because it doesn't seem to really make sense. A buisness can profit better off of a store credit mainly because they can get lost or remain unused and the company still gets to keep the money. :/

Also, having a straight across exchange seems complicated.

I can't really see this working.

sangova

Not really. If it is a store credit, the company is liable to its customer for this amount of money, and the company doesn't recognize the profit until this store credit is spent again. If it's never spent, then liability "converts" to company loss. 

fluffymuha

(0) Hearts

I completely agree. I think this might just be another way for Sephora to make some sort of profit if the exchange isn't equal. It's completely unfair to the customer as well. I'm wondering now if she meant that it's going to be an exchange for the same item in a different colour/ scent.. In any way, LADIES KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS!

calcutta

I'll be really peeved if this just a Canadian Policy change, they'll be screwing us over again and more so!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 56 replies
  • 80 hearts
  • 32 in conversation
    • malday
    • saida33
    • aviscardi
    • mrsbaine
    • ashleynne
    • sangova