theramenlover

NARS x Guy Bourdin Issues

Hey guys! I know that there's a number of BTers here that were super amped and pumped up for the new NARS collection with Guy Bourdin so I just wanted to talk about this with everyone. 

I'm a huge, huge, huge NARS fan and I was completely excited, and even had a few items on my list to buy but after I saw a few reviews of the collection, I've personally decided not to support/buy anything from this limited edition release. 

I haven't heard about the controversy surrounding Guy Bourdin before so I'm willing to bet that most of you here haven't either. I didn't even think to research him when I heard about the release but I think that as a woman, it's important to be aware of things like this. 

It's honestly too long of a topic to post about but in short, Guy Bourdin was a very popular and controversial photographer that in his portfolio, includes photos that glamorize violence against women. 

Temptalia posted a much longer entry about it that I suggest you all read! I can't link to it as per rules but I hope you guys check it out. Again, personally, I won't be buying and I just wanted to let you guys in on this :smileysad: It's up to you whether you still wish to purchase or not! I'm creating this topic in hopes of causing any issues but to raise awareness! 

FireSpinner

Re: NARS x Guy Bourdin Issues

(0) Hearts

I have never heard of this artist before so i went to his website, and browsed though some of his portfolio. It didn't offend me really (i just saw someone's art/portfolio) and i didn't see any "violence towards women", in fact - in one photo, there was two women, fully clothed and standing, while a man is depicted to have drowned in a water fountain. :s Now his art is not my preference but in regards to the Nars/Guy Bourdin collab, i only see the intense, bright colours portrayed. 

roxystar4

If enough people boycott it, maybe they will get the hint & repackage it? Maybe this time with inspiration from Amelia earheart, Susan b Anthony , ms Chanel, Marie curie, or Florence nightengale. Ok maybe that's asking a bit much.

anaa

Eloquently put Meg.  You've expressed my feelings exactly.  Thanks!

kalex

(0) Hearts

I just browsed through his work and I definitely don't have an appreciation for his form of art.  My main thought though is that at least he was acting out his fantasies in art and not in real life.

Titian06

Has anyone checked to see if Sephora will be selling this collection?  If they are, I suggest they be directed to this post.

verbeana

Thanks for posting this ramenlover. 

misscg

Maybe I'm the odd one out bur from what I've seen of guy bourdin photography is weird, sexualized shots that are open to interpretation. Now if the photographer had actually been photographing these women and then killing them after or something, that's different, but I'm not going to boycott Nars ( a brand I love because of their makeup). I have more of a problem with American Appeal's gross shirt that explicitly shows a detailed drawing of a a hand "touching" a bleeding "girly part" that's not artistic or an expression of feminism, that's just gross. Google it because I doubt sephora would let me post it here.

mommyto4

(0) Hearts

I completely agree.  Let's not forget that François Nars himself is not a saint.  His photography has naked women in it sometimes and look at the names for products by Nars.  I am not shocked by their collaboration.  Two peas in a pod.

Is it offensive?  Not really, it's interpretation when you view it.  Just like anything else in this world it's your choice to look at it.

KayyLynn

(0) Hearts

My thoughts exactly!

rikkie

I agree, I saw all the uproar over this line and went to check out what what I could find on Guy Bourdin. I was expecting much, much worse from the reactions I was seeing and he has a huge portfolio of work that really did change the entire concept of fashion photography. I think it's also very interesting that he didn't collect any of the pictures he took, or want any sort of exhibits or awards to do with them. That kind of says to me that he wasn't happy with the feelings he was exploring in himself through his pictures and there is a long history of some of the most brilliant artists being miserable, tortured people that were not pleasant to be around. 

I don't know, I don't think you can control who you are inspired by, and art can speak to different people in completely different ways. Obviously something in Bourdin's work spoke to Francois Nars, but I know I can't always put into words exactly what the connection is that I feel to some things and it doesn't mean I want to do the exact same thing as whatever I'm inspired by, you can go in an entirely different direction while still making allusions to something else. 

I'm going to buy that blush palette and I'm quite sure I'm going to love it. 

BeautyJunkie325

I agree with you on this.  I really did expect worse when I looked him up.  I can see where Nars would have been attracted to the highly pigmented colors, striking red lips,etc.  Some of the photos were striking and others were a little disturbing.  I do agree that the edgier pictures was Boudin working out his demons, at least those related to his mother.  The fact she abandoned him would explain the way he treated his wives/girlfriends.  

I would also say that Boudin had to be an inspiration for Robert Palmers's "Addicted to Love" Video.  I think you can appreciate certain aspects of someone's work without condoning their behaviors. Many or the worlds greatest artists, composeres, writers, etc were on the fringe of accepted behaviors yet we can appreciate their works.  I don't think that this collection will change my purchasing Nars products.  

Tayvm

I think I would feel differently if the reasoning for his work was to bring up a dialogue about the violence.  But it really does glamorize it.  Very unsettling.  I was pumped to add the blush palette to my collection, but will definitely pass on it. 

BlushHoarder

Thank you theramenlover for bringing this up on BT. I read Temptalia's post also and reviewed some of his work.

I don't know a lot about the issue, but what I have uncovered hasn't been flattering.I find it upsetting that Nars has been influenced by Bourdin for the entire Nars line (Exhibit A for example).

I am saddened by this new realization and will need to reevaluate my thoughts on Nars cosmetics...

What an upsetting realization since I love Nars products.

theramenlover

My absolute favorite cosmetics brand has always been NARS so this is definitely hard hitting, especially when I too realized that Francois has been inspired since the very beginning of his makeup career by him. I'm extremely weary of the rest of his products now as well. I've recommended NARS countless times to people, on these boards and to my friends, and disappointment doesn't even begin to cover my feelings about this. 

Should've gone to the NARS event in NYC where Francois was present to ask him but I reckon I would've gotten thrown out!

maltipoo66

I agree-I understand Nars has always tried to push boundaries with its suggestive shade names, but sexual violence is not cool and innovative, it's inappropriate.  The fact that this man was the one who inspired Francois Nars from the beginning I can't really understand, and the fact that Nars thought it was a good idea to market products this way to women especially, I just can't get my head around.  I think it's taking things a step too far.

theramenlover

Like some of the other BTers have said below, there's a line between pushing boundaries and being playful about it vs pushing boundaries and being completely distasteful. This is definitely the latter for me. 

Violence in general isn't funny, whether it's against women or men. The fact though that at the very least, Guy Bourdin seemed to be a man that held women in low regards or as objects to sexualize, is enough reason for me to say bye to this collection. 

I guess though, we can hope this is another thing to learn from for everyone else? 

pinklissamel

After reading Temptalias post and doing some research of my own, I have come to the conclusion that this collection isn't for me. It just seems wrong on a few levels and portrays women negatively and seems a bit twisted to me. I agree to each their own but. I will not be partaking in this particular collection.

theramenlover

I've yet to see someone in BT community who wants to purchase anything from the collection and for that, I'm really glad. I know I said to each their own but come on, this is pushing the buttons too far. If someone wants to buy it and can see past all of this, then whatever floats their boat. 

lilyyy

On another level, I take personal offense that Nars would even release this line. Did they not think that their makeup-loving customers would not research this? Or did they assume that we wouldn't care and just by it anyways.  :smileymad:

theramenlover

Well, to be honest, how many of us researched this when it first came out, right? :smileysad: 

I paid 0 attention to this and if it weren't for bloggers reviewing this and noting the issues, I wouldn't have known either! Most consumers who shop for beauty products don't pay attention to the ingredients, much less who it is in collaboration with or for what purpose such a product is released! 

Erendira

Thank you for posting this!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 73 replies
  • 209 hearts
  • 34 in conversation
    • kalex
    • panage2000
    • kenny