Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

March 2017: Sample Challenge

March Challenge is to dig into all your samples and try them out.  Post here what sample/foil pack you used and your thoughts about it.  Would you consider buying the full size?

Sephora Samples.jpg

Re: March 2017: Sample Challenge

This is genius! I have lots I need to use up.

First of all, KUDOS for the thread idea!  I've been trying to push through some of my samples in the last few weeks, and this is even better incentive.

Empty Samples #1.jpg

1.  Origins Plantscription Powerful Lifting Cream:  Not bad, but as with any anti-aging products, results are subtle.  I used this primarily on my neck and jaw.  It didn't feel immediately noticeably lifting (in the way that some face masks can, for instance), but it did provide an impressive texture to my sometimes dry neck.  I have several other moisturizers to finish off before I consider buying another one, but if I catch it on a good deal, maybe.

2.  Amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo:  No.  It wasn't exactly bad, though I found the Sea Buckthorn Berry scent to be a little too sweet for my personal tastes, but it's hardly the best dry shampoo out there.  So, polite pass.

3.  Living Proof Restore Mask Treatment:  Yes, yes, yes.  As soon as I finish my current restorative mask product, I WILL be purchasing this one.  I remember using it many years ago—before I'd managed to find a cleanser/conditioner routine that really suited my curls—and was underwhelmed, but this time it was amazing!

4.  GlamGlow Volcasmic Matte Glow Moisturizer:  Again, not terrible.  Smells like most GlamGlow products—like coconut oil and pineapple...or, in other words, LA—which is fine in a mask, but less desirable in a twice daily moisturizer.  Conditioned the skin pretty well, but didn't absorb as seamlessly as other moisturizers of comparable price and felt heavier on the skin.  I'll stick to masks.

5.  Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment Perfecting Wand:  This one was a surprise.  It was really very nice.  I don't think I'll be purchase it right away, since I have several nice lip-nourishing products already, but I might return to it.

If you don't mind me asking, how scrubby was the Fresh lip wand? I often get peeling lips in the winter but I hate using the potted sugar lip scrubs because they're so messy, so I'm enticed by the idea of a controlled lip exfoliator...

@tethys180  Less "scrubby", more massage.  The wand is actually quite gentle.  (All this assuming, of course, that the sample wand is a close approximation if not identical to the product wand.)  It's effective at softening—with good, hydrating oils—and then buffing/massaging off the dry, dead skin, but it doesn't achieve the same effect as a genuine scrub.  I have both a MAKE sea salt scrub and a GlamGlow sugar exfoliator that are both much more aggressive about polishing the lips, but they're also both rougher because they're more effective.

That said, I used the Fresh sample for approximately four days, a few times a day.  Along with a few other lip care products, my lips went from the driest and most chapped they'd been all winter to perfectly smooth and hydrated in that span.

Thanks,@Harpier82! That was really informative! I'm not sure it will fully help my issues, but it sounds like it might be worth a try. Hopefully it will be offered as a sample again.

Day 2: Dr. Brandt 3-D Lip Plumper

I have the foil that has am and pm.

AM- NO NO NO NO NO. Burns my lips like no other. I don't even care if it works. I can't handle it. Way way worse than Too Faced Lip Injection. 

PM- I don't mind this side. It didn't live up to it's claims on me. But I'm not surprised, nothing does for my lips.

http://www.sephora.com/needles-no-more-3-d-lip-plumpfix-P416163?skuId=1898709&icid2=products%20grid:...

Yipes.  I find most lip plumpers burn besides the Buxom and Dior.   At least now I'll be prepared for the pain when I try it out.  Bracing for it! 

Burning on the lips or face is never a good thing but at least you know you don't need to waste your money on it 😉

Day 1:

H2O+ Keep it Fresh face cleanser - did not especially like this. It felt a little slimy/slippery, like it maybe should have lathered but it didn't. Would not purchase

Verb Hydrating Shampoo & Conditioner - these were fine. My hair felt maybe a touch drier than I would like, but nothing awful. I don't think I would purchase these but I will use up the packets I have.

Charlotte Tilbury - Charlotte's Magic Cream - this was fine but nothing spectacular. I tried a foil of her clay mask the other day and I can't remember the last time I disliked a beauty product so quickly and thoroughly, so I was a little worried about using this. I wouldn't buy it but it wasn't horrible.

Mally eye shadow stick - This is a full size, so not really a sample, but it came in a sample bag so I'm counting it as one :). This is the first Mally product I have ever used and it will probably be the last. It is supposed to be violet but it definitely looks brown, so that was disappointing. It is also a really thin and dry formula for a shadow stick. The other brands I have are pretty creamy, and that is what I prefer. Not only would I not repurchase this, I will probably toss it.

Wildfox perfume - I really liked the first spritz of this but then it turned really powdery on me and I hate powdery scents. I sprayed some Atelier vanilla to try and cover it up a little, but no dice. So this is a no.

Hmm, today was not super successful in terms of finding new favorites, but I did use things up so that's a win! Anyways I feel like weeding out the things I don't like is almost as important as finding the things that I love. Thanks again for a great challenge @AMK721!

I caught a few (discontinued?) H2O+ products at my local Ulta on deep, deep discounts (...like nearly 90% off), so I got a couple.  The only thing I've tried so far is the Infinity + Refining Essence.  It's really effective, in that it shrinks and refines the pores across my nose and cheeks, but I also found it a bit slicking until it absorbed, which took a little while.  I'll probably finish it, but I would never purchase at full price.

Also, @JenniferOhJenny, DITTO ON THE MALLY SHADOW STICK!  It's the texture of a gel liner, maybe stiffer.  I also received a color I'd almost never wear anyway.  Mine will almost certainly get tossed too.

Yeah, @Harpier82 I was legit disappointed in that shadow stick. I have green eyes, so I love to wear purple eye shadow. Plus I love shadow sticks because they're so easy to apply when I don't have a lot of time. Nope nope nope on this one. 

Random question since you like super moisturizing shampoo.  What kind do you regularly use?  

I am currently trying out deluxe samples of biosilk shampoo and conditioner and am finding them quite nice.  Verb is next in the que. 

@heartsmyface Funnily enough, the last shampoo I used was Soapbox Coconut shampoo from Target. It was nice, not overly moisturizing but my hair felt soft. I will probably try something different (maybe the Biosilk!) once I use up some random samples.

I used it with the Biolage Exquisite Oil Creme Conditioner, though, which I like very much. I color my hair, and it does tend to be on the dry/frizzy side, so I like a lot of moisture. My hair is pretty fine so I have to be careful of anything that is too heavy, and the Biolage conditioner doesn't weigh it down. 

Honestly, the Verb shampoo just felt kind of harsh. As I rinsed it out my hair was less soft than usual. And now that I'm thinking about it, my hair was even a little harder to comb through after I conditioned it. So maybe these aren't quite so hydrating.

(Sorry, that was probably a much more rambling answer than you needed/wanted!)

No no, don't ever apologize for offering information!  I love the thoroughness! My hair is super dry as well...well, right now it's in this awkward stage of super greasy but healthy at the roots and dry and damaged three inches beyond that. I'm still after serious moisture.  

I've got to use up some full sized bumble and bumble cocoa bottles and am then in the market for a new brand.  

I find it doesn't matter what Shampoo I use so long as I put coconut oil in my hair before washing it.  It's the conditioner that needs to work.  

Oh I like this thread idea!  I've already been trying to annihilate my sample stash by trying to use one in the morning and one at night,but reviewing everything is a great idea! 

Used Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion Age Defying Exfoliator this morning and I like it.  Particles are small so they are not too rough.  Pleasant scent.  Skin felt smooth and soft.  I would consider buying the full size.  I'm a fan of Kate Somerville Exfolikate and that is my go to exfoliator, but I liked Dr. Brandt's and it's a generous sample so we'll see how my skin responds.  

The Kate Somerville Exfolikate felt like it was burning my face off when I last tried it.  It's unclear as to whether it was because I had already stripped my skin too much with a previous peel (sometimes I accidently do them back to back) or if I had an allergic reaction but I found it very unpleasant.  

The first time I tried Exfolikate it felt burning like what you described.  I lessened the amount I use and try not to piggy back on any other intense treatment/cleanser.  

Try the Kate Somerville exfoliating cleanser.  I LOVE it and it doesn't burn.  It has a fresh scent and not as harsh as the Exfolikate.  

Day 1 (part 2):

1. The Face Shop The Smim Firming Care Essence.  Light scent, a bit sticky, didn't absorb as fast as most essences.  Can't tell if it would provide firming benefits from one use.  Wouldn't buy.  

2. Bliss Triple Oxygen Radiant Protection Energizing Serum.  Generous sample - covered face, neck, and forearms.  Crazy color - iridescent peach.  absorbed fast with minimal stickiness.  Skin feels plumped up and moisturized, but it almost seems like there is a faint shimmer left over from this product which I dislike.

3. Tata Harper Elixir Vitae.  Very strong scent.  Minor sting and cooling sensation.  Probably wouldn't consider due to scent.

4. Algenist Complete Eye Renewal Balm.  I liked this more than I thought I would.  It was very moisturizing and cooling, and absorbed better than some other eye creams I've tried.  Not oily.  It didn't make my eyes tear up.  I'd consider buying this.

5. Tatcha Indigo Soothing Triple Recovery Cream.  I like this cream fine, and at a lower price point might give a full size a shot.  It's not oily, and gives me skin a nice finish.  However, I really like some lower priced creams - like J. One Hana, so I'm unlikely to buy this.

IMG_3878.JPG

I love this idea!  I have a ton of samples (good stuff too) that I always mean to get to but  never do.  This will motivate me to use them.

Day 1: Brazilian Bum Bum cream.  Don't know about the tightening and smoothing part- but it smells like summer!

Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say about their samples this month.

I want to get the Bum Bum cream too.  I just heard they have a lip balm that I have to get.

229 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos17
  • Sephora Samples.jpg
  • IMG_3877.JPG
  • IMG_3878.JPG
  • Empty Samples #1.jpg
  • IMG_3205.JPG
  • IMG_8082.JPG
  • IMG_2417.JPG
  • IMG_3887.JPG
  • IMG_2373.JPG