Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

March 2017: Sample Challenge

March Challenge is to dig into all your samples and try them out.  Post here what sample/foil pack you used and your thoughts about it.  Would you consider buying the full size?

Sephora Samples.jpg

Re: March 2017: Sample Challenge

Well, I made it through the challenge using up 33 foils. This is a huge number for me. I've only been wearing make up maybe twice a week over march.  And I've been much lazier with skincare than I'd care to admit so I'm pretty impressed with using this many.  I'm going to try to keep using up foils in April as well, I think the challenge has forced me to see that I have a lot of them and no actual reason to hoard. It's also been helping me not buy new products, as I'm thinking I need. To use up why I have first.

Last few foils!!

Sephora lipstick card-- this card had four different foils in it. I really don't think I gave any of these a fair shot as I just hate having to put lipstick on with a brush. I also couldn't take the pods with me anywhere for re application. 

Gurlain lingerie de peau--this was nice but my skin has been pretty dry lately and this did nothing to hide that. I'm still figuring out if this dryness is a permenantly thing or not. If not I'd give this another shot for sure.

smashbox photo finish primer--this is a good basic primer. I'd certainly use samples but wouldn't buy as I look for more in a full size product. Something that can fill pores, moisturizer of colour correct?

ysl touch éclat-- lovely as a light coverage concealer. If I found a deal I'd go for it.

christophe robin regenerating hair mask-- a good deep conditioner with a scent that at first I was on the fence about. I did end up liking it. I've used a DS before and while it's nice I'm going to keep looking for a better mask.

anastasia brow powder duo-- ok this little sample card had s lot of product. I've got pretty good brows and don't need a lot of fill so this lasted at least 7 or 8 applications. I even used it as a soft eyeliner a few times. While nice, i prefer a brow pencil. I'll stick with my IT cosmetics brow power. 

Sunday riley CEO -- this smelled great, left no film, sank in nicely. I'm wondering if I'd prefer this or the erubian one I tried earlier in the month as I will need to purchase a new moisturizer during the sale.

Last day of March ladies!  Tell us about sample Yeah or Nays.

I tried a sample of Kate Somerville Goat Milk Moisturizer and I really like it.  My skin drank it in and my makeup went on nice and smooth.  I will certainly look into getting the full size of this.  

I got that in a 500 pointer. I tried it and I broke out like crazy overnight. I don't think I ever tried any of the other things in that perk after the moisturizer. Glad it worked for you, though. (Now I just stick with Caudalie for the most part)

Givenchy Noir Coutour Mascara 4 in 1: 

When I first used this I didn't particularly like it, but when I used it again I liked it a lot better! The brush is super interesting in that it's like...well I'll add a picture. Hahaha 

Image result for Givenchy Noir Couture Mascara 4 in 1:

Isn't that so weird, but cool? I thought it'd be a little too big for my eyes, but it ended up working out better once I used it again. 

It's added some volume and separated my lashes which is nice. It's not quite as black and "thickening" I like my mascara to be, but it still adds a bit more of a dramatic look to my lashes than a more natural look. 

I don't really use an eyelash curler (blasphemous I know....), but this mascara curls the end of my lashes just a little bit so it looks like I did use one. (: 

Christophe Robin Regenerating Shampoo with Prickly Pear Oil

I've been using this a few times now and I have to say, I'm quite new to the world of "fancy" shampoo as my mom likes to call it. I've been using drug store brands all my life, although this could partially explain why my hair is slightly drying out now. Well that and I haven't gotten a haircut in a while and I've dyed it two times since the last haircut, haha. On the days I use this, my hair does have more bounce, volume, and shine to it. As someone with fine flat hair, I will take all of the above.  

XOXO,
Marieke

Tried out Christope Robin Regenerating Mask for my hair and I love it.  It smells great and made my hair feel amazing.  I'll be putting this on my wish list. 

I just opened up a foil of this this morning!  I've used a DS before and enjoyed it. I like the scent too, not as much as that Thirstymud I can't use... lol... but it's quite nice!

Thankfully Thirstymud isn't the only good smelling face products out there lol.  Hives is somewhat of a deal breaker lol

That one is great! I don't remember which subscription box I got that in but I do remember liking the smell. Thanks for reminding me about this one!

I got it in the Sephora Hair Mask kits over the holidays.

Mizon Snail Repair eye cream: I've never found an eye cream that noticeably improved fine lines, but after a week of use this one might actually be making a small dent. My skin definitely feels more plump after using. It did burn a bit the first night I used it, but I haven't experienced anything since. Out of hope, I will probably purchase this after I go through the rest of my eye cream samples, unless something else seems more promising.

Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24 Hour foundation: This was the smallest foil sample I've ever seen, so it was hard to get a good sense of what a full face would be like; I could only put it under my eyes and on my nose. My under-eye test showed that it had light to medium coverage and felt lightweight and comfortable; however it was somewhat creasy by the end of the day. It couldn't hold up to my oily nose even when paired with Becca's matte primer, so look elsewhere if this a concern. Just meh for me.

Ole Henrickson Counter Balance Oil Control moisturizer: This had some minor oil control benefits, but it didn't do as good of a job as other mattifying essences and primers that I've tried. It also didn't play well with other mattifying products from other brands. Maybe if you used OH's entire Counter Balance system you'd see more results, but this alone was almost too harsh for my sensitive skin, and I don't think I'd be able to handle the full line.

The last few days-
Elizabeth Arden Ceramide lift and firm eye cream spf 15-I like this, it didn't bother my eyes and it is nice to have an eye cream with sunscreen I can use.

Laneige water sleeping mask-I have used samples of this before and I like it,it absorbs in a few minutes and doesn't leave me feeling sticky.

Charlotte Tilbury magic eye rescue-This felt fine but I didn't like the smell.

I had a bad reaction about a week and a half ago to a sample and then some personal issues popped up, so I've been sticking with the basics that I knew wouldn't agricate anything... but Im back at it again!

Glamglow Thirstymud Hydrating Treatment--this was the little bugger that broke me out in little hives all over my face and neck... I wanted to love this, it smells amazing, and felt nice and hydrating going on, alas, not for me.

Lancome Smoothing & Plumping Pearly Lotion-- this was a very thin consistency and felt like it did a lot of nothing. Smoothing and plumping sounds great,  but this guy didn't  deliver, at least not in a few days time.

Benefit porefessional -- I use this regularly to fill pores around my nose. Nothing fancy, but it works to minimize pores.

Guerlain Lingerie De Peau-- the shade I had in 02 beige Claire was great, I do feel like my skin is a bit dry at the moment for this foundation. Though it took little to get desired coverage and felt nice on. If I can get my moisturizer situation figured out and figure out what this shade is in the refirmulation, I'd give it another go for sure.

Phyto Exceptional Mask-- This felt like a heavy conditioner, nothing more. I'm wondering if my hair mask expectations are just too high??

Amika Nourishing Mask-- Again, this felt like a nice conditioner, I liked the scent, but nothing earth shattering. I do have portions of my dark hair bleached and then dyed, so it's quite damaged in some parts, but I'll keep looking for a great hair mask!

i believe this brings me to 26 foils for the month now.

Sorry the thirsty mud broke you out,its one of my favorite products.

Thirsty Mud is one of my favorites too.  I like the cleanser as well.  It smells like the Caribbean!  

I absolutely loved the smell!!! Unfortunately hives are not a good look on me... I had tried this once before and had the same reaction but I was trying out two or three new items so wasn't sure what the culprit was.  Now I'm sure.   

Spoiler

Day 15- Shiseido ultimate eye power infusing eye concentrate- Ok but I prefer a thicker cream.

Day 16-Drunk elephant Lala retro whipped cream-I love this,it was very thick but seemed to just melt into my skin.

Day 11: Herbivore Coco Rose Coconut Oil Lip Conditioner. I've had this DS for a while, I use it on breaks at work. I don't care for it. It doesn't help my dry lips at all. Only lasts for a few minutes and I feel the need to reapply. 

I have been using a bunch of samples but nothing was really noteworthy enough to post about, until yesterday. I used my new DE Babyfacial dupe from The Ordinary so I wanted to follow it up with something nice & comforting for my skin. The Dr. Jart+ Dermask Water Jet Soothing Hydra Solution sheet mask seemed like a good choice. Oh my gosh, the smell...just like oregano. So much oregano, even after I took it off. I smelled like the Italian vinaigrette I make when I marinate artichoke hearts. So yeah, I won't be purchasing this :).

Oh, also I tried the Kiehl's Creme with Silk Groom. I really liked it and would definitely buy a full size!

Sunday Riley C.E.O: I thinkkk my skin doesn't like this, but I will try it again another time. My skin was consistently red when I tested this, but not immediately after application. I was also testing foundation(s) so it could have been from that? It smells like orange candy and feels sooo creamy/luxurious.

Charlotte Tilbury Goddess Skin Clay Mask: a lovely hydrating clay mask! It reminds me of the Tata Harper Purifying Mask, but has a strong (to me) floral scent. My bf likes the scent though.. that's so rare that I likely will give it another shot.

Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation: Got shade matched at Macy's by the sweetest SA 🙂 It was super dry when she applied it, but she gave me a sample to test at home. Good coverage, color match, and finish. But for the first hour on my face, it definitely looked dry up close no matter how much moisturizer/primer I used. Not bad but "I've tried better"

Tatcha Aburatorigami Paper: A large (fairy strong) blotting sheet that left me with a healthy satin finish. There are tiny gold specks in the paper, which is kind of cute!

Jo Malone Leather Artemisia (LE; Bloomsbury): "sweet smoke" is how i'd describe this. it's complex and interesting. I was really surprised by how much I like this! especially paired with a slightly sweeter perfume. 

Jo Malone Garden Lilies (LE; Bloomsbury): i really like this one sprayed on a piece of paper (is that weird?) sooo.. I guess I'd consider it for a room spray. I like the top notes on my skin, but there's a very sharp floral note that doesn't really edge off over the hours.. which my head/nose gets tired of

Testing Lipsticks. Spoiler bc they're not all sample sized:

Spoiler

Older Lipsticks I forgot about:

- Clinique Black Honey: clear / no

- Almay Smartshade Lip butter Nude Medium: clear / no

- Nars Dolce Vita: clear / no

- Urban Decay F-Bomb: too bright & shiny. Can't get a clean lip outline / no

Newer Lipsticks:

- Shu Uemura Lip Laquer RD01: My first time trying a pigmented gloss. Wowzers. Gloss isn't for me, but I wanted to try it just for fun. It was pigmented and not patchy. A very bold red.. will keep this just in case my tastes change

- theBalm Stainiac: interesting watery jello consistency... left a beautiful stain, but also accentuates dry patches if you don't prep your lips. I can see people liking this, but I think this "stain" concept just isn't for me.

- Starlooks Liquid Lip in Piquant: Love the color (a dark gray-mauve on me), but it smells like it shouldn't be on my lips lol. That's enough to make me not want to use it again. It LOOKS lovely on my lips though (smooth/pigmented).

- Ulta Beauty Matte Lip Crayon in Engagement: This looks sheer on my hand, but covers my lips perfectly. Love the color, applicator tip, and consistency. It's not as matte as I'd prefer, but is suuper comfortable. Haven't tried it out for a full work day yet -- will do that tmrw!

@whitepolkydots

The Charlotte Tilbury goddess mask is one of my favorite masks of life. I don't mind the smell but I can understand how some may not like it.

Conversation Stats
Photos17
  • Sephora Samples.jpg
  • IMG_3877.JPG
  • IMG_3878.JPG
  • Empty Samples #1.jpg
  • IMG_3205.JPG
  • IMG_8082.JPG
  • IMG_2417.JPG
  • IMG_3887.JPG
  • IMG_2373.JPG
  • IMG_8241.JPG