Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

March 2017: Sample Challenge

March Challenge is to dig into all your samples and try them out.  Post here what sample/foil pack you used and your thoughts about it.  Would you consider buying the full size?

Sephora Samples.jpg

Re: March 2017: Sample Challenge

I tried 7 day challenge of Sunday Railey Good genes and I am in love with it. It does have a weird smell and also creates a tingling sensation after application but I can certainly see a difference in my skin. I am definitely buying the full size.

TIL: my face hates coconut oil/argan oil/both. A lot. I'm a huge fan of facial cleansing oils so I decided to try Burt's Bees Facial Cleansing Oil with Coconut and Argan Oils to see if I could find a cheaper alternative. My skin has been oily and breaking out like crazy for a couple weeks and I just smartened up and decided to check the ingredients. None of my other cleansers use these 2 oils. I switched back to Origins and my skin is already going back to normal. Lesson learned!

DSC02784.jpg

Somewhere between a sample and full size (from DevaCurl Delight Kit)...DevaCurl Wave Maker Touchable Texture Whip.  It definitely helps control frizz, and the scent is light but pleasant.  But it really is, as the product description says, meant for WAVY (not curly) hair.  On its own, this just can't control or shape my curls.  For those with body, volume and a naturally wavy texture looking for soft, beachy waves, this is probably a hit, but I won't be purchasing.

Clinique Smart Night Custom Repair Moisturizer.  Not bad, but not as nourishing or softening as the Smart Serum, nor as moisturizing as any of my regular nighttime choices.  I ended up mostly using this on my neck.  I'd happily use it again if I got more samples, but I'd rather spend my money on better options.

Philosophy Time in a Bottle 100% In-Control Resist Renew Repair Serum.  For a name that apparently claims EVERYTHING without any particular logic, this serum is almost the dictionary definition of "ineffectual".  I couldn't tell that it actually did anything.  For the duration of the sample (about 3 days, AM and PM), I noticed no difference in clarity, texture, firmness, or fine line reduction.  This is a very strong pass!

I am seriously considering buying the Deva wave maker today at Ulta...I am always looking for something for summer for my lazy wavy hair.  Thanks for posting!

Day 8: Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist. I'm not sure about this. I've been using the DS for a while, but don't think it's doing anything. 

hahahah!  You are right.  They don't do much.  I think it  is more for aromatherapy.  I love rosewater and this one smells divine!  

I'm sorry I have been slacking on posting but I have not been slacking on this challenge! Thanks again for hosting this @AMK721! It's really been fueling me to use up my samples 😄 In particular a lot of the Play! samples I've been getting the past couple of months and I have been finding some great products I'd consider purchasing. Thank you again! 

@McakesYou're welcome!  I know so many of us have a ton of samples that just sit there and go unused.

Day 8:

Origins Original Skin Retexturizing Mask with Rose Clay Mask: This stung when I put it on, and rubbing it on with the scrub particles in it made it worse.  It subsided within the first minute, so I left it on the full 10.  It was fully dry when I washed it off.  It definitely made my skin feel firmer and made my pores smaller.  That said, it also made my skin dry.  Not a great match for me.

The Face Shop Chia Seed Watery Toner: This doesn't seem like anything special.

Ren Flash Hydro-Boost: This has a lotion consistency.  It seemed greasy to me, but it made my skin nice and plump.

Erborian Yuzu Double Lotion: The scent is great, and its moisturizing and light.  I might buy this.

Kicho Natural Moisture Cream: Thick but not greasy.  Nothing special though.

Kristals Cosmetics Rose Quartz Hydrating Cream: Faint rose scent, a bit greasy.

Day 8- Nuface prep and glow cloth-I really like these, they removed my make up well and were a really generous size.They are pricey but would be great for throwing in my purse for day trips this summer.i added them to my loves.
http://www.sephora.com/prep-n-glow-cloths-P414661?skuId=1892157

Tonight used Clarins HydraQuench Cream Mask: Only a 5ml deluxe size sample and only got to use it once 😞 , highly fragranced, and costs $37 CAD for as full size product (75ml). So there would be about 15 uses in a full size product and I know I wouldn't buy because of the fragrance and I am not sensitive to scents but it is so overwhelming.

mask.jpg

Anonymous Insider

Really happy that I tried a couple more samples.

Fresh Black Tea Instant Perfecting Mask - Very soothing mask. Perfect for dry skin. If you are looking for a clay mask type effect, this is not it. However, if you have sensitive skin, this would bring down any redness and leave your skin soft. It smells like honeydew to me. I'm 50-50 on purchasing the full size item on this because there are other masks I prefer more than this one.

Belif Peat Miracle Revital Clay Mask - Great mask if you do not have sensitive skin. I am so I turned bright red for an hour after using this. My spouse with normal/combination skin finished the packet and his face looks so clean and glowing. One of the best clay mask in his opinion. I personally wouldn't be purchasing the full size of it but definitely something to try if you are not sensitive skin. 

So I received my Biossance samples yesterday (big thank you to the BTer (I can't recall who it was :() who posted about these!). They are a really nice size, in little glass dropper bottles. I used both of them last night - the rose face oil and the 100% squalane oil. 

The rose face oil caused something to pill on my face. Granted, I had several serums and whatnot underneath it. The squalane oil was a tiny bit greasy, but it's possible that I used too much. 

This morning, however, I used the rose face oil again, also over some other products, and it was totally fine. My face is also ridiculously soft. I also used a sample of Andalou Naturals 1000 Roses Day Cream, which was dumb because now I don't know what product is responsible for my soft face :).

*I did not love the fragrance of the Andalou cream - very rose-y, as the name would indicate. It did dissipate, but it took a minute.

*I am going to continue to use both of my Biossance samples to see if I'd like to purchase them. I also ordered a bottle of 100% Squalane from The Ordinary, to see how it compares. (It's much less expensive than the Biossance :).)

IMG_5535.JPGI'm starting to like the skyn Iceland eye cream.  The sample has been going strong for four days now with tons left still.  Either my undereyes are getting smoother and lighter or I'm seeing things.  I guess it took a few days to show results. 

I like the EveLom cleanser.  It did the job and my face wasn't stripped at all.  I was scared to use it around my eyes so can't comment on its ability to remove eye makeup.  I'm wondering if it's supposed to be a bit chunky though? or if this sample had started drying up.  They're relatively new samples to me but that doesn't mean much.

The skin Inc pure revival peel I already reviewed and liked. 

Good genes is another repeat that I liked...lots of repeat samples today.  

I wanted to love the skyn Iceland, but it made my skin burn/tingle in a not good way. I kept using it for a week or two anyway, but I didn't notice a difference. 

I feel like im doing something wrong since everyone loves it. I tried the eye patches too, I didn't notice a difference after one use 😞 

This is good to hear about the skyn Iceland eye cream! I have been trying to find anything that will even moderately help my undereyes, but nothing has worked yet. I have a DS of this sitting my my drawer, now I can't wait to try it!

I really like the results of Skyn Iceland's eye cream, but I'm irked by the consistency.  It's less a cream than a stiff gel, and can be a pain to apply on occasion.  That said, no brand's eye-care line has been so effective at reducing the darkness and puffiness of my under eyes than Skyn Iceland, and so (once I move through the plethora of eye cream samples I've stashed away—currently Clarins) I'll probably end up repurchasing.

I had a deluxe sample of evelom cleanser awhile back and it was kind of chunky,so I think that is normal.

Clinique City Block Purifying Charcoal Cleansing Gel

This reminded me of Boscia's Detoxifying Black Cleanser, which did nothing for me, so I didn't repurchase.

This was thicker than I was expecting. It hasn't done anything for me so far except break me out & make my pores appear larger 😞

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Cream

First, I have to say that I really like Clinique's easy-to-open foils. I know I could easily just grab a pair of scissors, but I like that they thought about what would be most convenient for the consumer 🙂

It did make me shiny. Unfortunately, it did not help my dry patches, nothing dramatically different there.

Erborian Yuza Sorbet Featherweight Emulsion

I loved the citrusy scent & how lightweight it was, it really is "featherweight". It sank easily into my skin. It didn't make me shiny, so I think this would be good to use during summer. Would purchase!

Farmacy Eye Dew Total Eye Cream with Echinacea GreenEnvy

I haven't gotten enough sleep the past few nights, so I have bags under my eyes. Unfortunately, this didn't help at all. I did like the cooling sensation & how it didn't dry out the skin around my eyes though.

I also didn't see much difference with the Farmacy Eye Dew. I also have obvious dryness and this didn't help with that, either.

The Erobian emulsion impressed me as well. I liked how lightweight it was yet still moisturizing.  I have super dry skin and don't always want a heavy cream. 

Conversation Stats
Photos17
  • Sephora Samples.jpg
  • IMG_3877.JPG
  • IMG_3878.JPG
  • Empty Samples #1.jpg
  • IMG_3205.JPG
  • IMG_8082.JPG
  • IMG_2417.JPG
  • IMG_3887.JPG
  • IMG_2373.JPG
  • IMG_8241.JPG