Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

March 2017: Sample Challenge

March Challenge is to dig into all your samples and try them out.  Post here what sample/foil pack you used and your thoughts about it.  Would you consider buying the full size?

Sephora Samples.jpg

Re: March 2017: Sample Challenge

@heartsmyface I feel the same way. I have combination skin & I need something to moisturize my dry patches, but not make my oily areas shiny. I usually use heavy creams, but they're not great for me during summer.

Btw, most of the samples you've been trying are ones I have left. Your reviews have been really helpful, so thank you! 🙂

22 foils used so far this challenge.  I'm feeling quite accomplished and now want to see how many I can use up this month!

BECCA BACKLIGHT TARGETED COLOUR CORRECTORS-- There were three colours on this card, pistachio, violet and papaya.  I quite liked the texture though may find it too heavy in the summer when I typically wear lighter base layers.  The first time I put the papaya under my eyes I was a little freaked out, but it worked well.  I don't have a ton of redness so I used the green around my nose and it did work well but likely isn't a colour I would use enough to warrant a purchase.  I would consider the papaya if I'm feeling down some particular day about my circles, though I'd rather find a concealer that works well enough without. I am really glad I tried this though!

PHILOSOPHY RENEWED HOPE IN A JAR-- Meh... this is a moisturizer I've used DS of in the past. Nothing exciting, just meh.

Good for you @missjeanie

Yay!!!!  I'm collecting my used samples in a bag at the hotel for a group photo at the end of our stay.  I hope the maids don't find it cause A. I may look crazy and B. They may throw them out 

Belif True Cream Moisturizing Bomb: My skin loves Belif's Aqua Bomb, so I was excited to try this for extra winter moisturizing, but was disappointed. It's creamy and thick and took a long time to absorb, but didn't have the lovely cooling effect of other Belif's other gel- and cream-based products. It didn't seem any more hydrating than the Aqua Bomb, and it also broke my sensitive skin out in little tiny pimples, so it's definitely a no-go for me.

Murad Oil-Control Mattifier: Another experiment into controlling my permanently oily nose. I only applied it to my nose area, and it burned a bit initially which was unusual (my nose is usually more resilient than the rest of my face). I'm usually ok with white willow, tea tree, and zinc oxide, so it must have been one of the other sunscreen ingredients or acids. It was extremely thick, but decently matte initially, although it didn't keep the oil at bay all day. Not for me.

@tethys180 I feel the same way about Moisturizing Bomb, & I also love Aqua Bomb. And I have so many foils that they're either going to go to friends or become a hand lotion.

@ohheyitscindyk Trying it as a hand lotion is a great idea! I've had such great success with other Belif products, but I was so frustrated with the MB that the leftover foil went directly to the trash!  I'll definitely try my remaining ones on my hands - they could use some extra TLC.

@tethys180 Yeah I always forget to bring hand cream, so I might as well just throw a few foils in my bag haha 🙂

Day 7 (part 2)

The Face Shop Mango Seed Toner: This is a fantastic moisturizing toner.  It's almost like a milk consistency.  This could be a good winter addition for me, but I'm not sure I need the extra layer the rest of the year.

Fresh Sugar Lip Polish: This is a good lip scrub.  I like the new Sephora Collection one too, and that one is quite a bit cheaper - so it will likely continue to win.  I'll use this one up though.

Sunday Riley Good Genes: I've already ordered a full size of this. I'm looking forward to comparing it to my old staple - Drunk Elephant Framboos Night Serum - over a longer period.  

Clinique Sculptwear: I don't see anything special about this.  I used it on my neck.

Erborian Elixir au Ginseng: This essence has almost a light lotion/milk consistency.  It would be my heaviest essence.  I like it, but already have a product in my routine that contains ginseng, so this seems unnecessary.

Ole Henriksen Truth Serum Collagen Booster: My skin loves Vitamin C, so I was intrigued to give this a try.  First impressions were good.  I have three minis, so I'm going to continue using this over the next few weeks before I make up my mind.  It will take a lot for me to replace my Drunk Elephant C-Firma permanently though.

Farmacy Eye Dew: A bit tingly and cooling, but I didn't notice anything else.  Not super moisturizing. I really want to like this brand, but I've tried 4 products from them now and haven't loved any.

Lancome Energie de Vie Cream: I really enjoy this line.  I used up a bottle of the Lotion in Gel last summer.  I think I prefer that product to this cream though.

Day 7-Juice beauty green apple age defy moisturizer-this is just a good basic moisturizer,it was lighter than I thought it would be from reading the back of the foil.I would probably use this in the summer.  

I FINALLY finished my Alterna CC Cream deluxe size sample (I see a 1oz is available for sale and this is 0.85 oz but I got mine as a point perk a while ago). I was panning this cream since Sep 2016. I used it every time I washed my hair (every 2-3 days) so it lasted a long time as I only used a pea sized amount. While it didn't weigh down my hair and worked well mixed with other hair products I applied I do not see myself buying this.

Day 7: I must say thank you for this challenge, and thank you Sephora for the play box. I just received mine today and went to try the BB Eye Shadow Stick, and noticed yellowing in my eyes, Dr. visit for me tomorrow. I'm also now traumatized from googling what it could mean 😞

Today I tried BB Eye Shadow Stick. Really pretty color, went on so well. I love this. 

Sephora Lashcraft Mascara, I didn't notice any difference and even wondered if there was even any on the wand. 

Hope all goes well with your Dr. visit! Stay away from Dr. Google - it'll only make you crazy with worry. I've done that many times myself! 

Day 7 (part 1):

Belif Hungarian Water Essence: Perfectly fine, but nothing special. 

Belif Bergamot Herbal Extract Toner: I didn't feel like this did anything.  

Erborian Eau Ginseng Lotion Concentree: This is very light, and water thin, but moisturizing.  It made my skin feel very smooth.  I'm going to put this deluxe sample in my travel size box and use it up.

Fresh Anise Day Serum:  I liked this.  Its light and absorbs well.  It tingled a little on application.  

Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Radiance Lotion: This is a thin lotion. I have no objections to it, but it is certainly a day product for me, and it lacks SPF - which means it doesn't really fit in my routine.

Philosophy Miracle Worker Miraculous Anti-Aging Retinoid Eye Repair:  I like this eye cream, but I use my Curology prescription with tretinoin under my eyes - so I don't really need another retinoid eye product.  If I didn't have that, I'd absolutely consider this.  

I only used one sample between yesterday and today - Glamglow Thirstycleanse to wash my face last night. I kind of liked it! I didn't find it to be extra hydrating, but my face didn't feel overly dry or stripped, either. It smelled nice (lightly sweet) and my skin was soft afterward. I tend to think Glamglow products are overpriced for what they do, though, so I probably wouldn't purchase it.

The thirsty line is my favorite. Especially the mask.  Love the way it smells. 

My three samples for this week have so far been a success!

Kiehl’s Creamy Eye Treatment with Avocado. Very rich and creamy. Really enjoyed this one but only use it at night. I think it might be too heavy for morning and might not work under makeup. Would definitely consider purchasing a full size.

IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream with SPF 50+. I was afraid this was going to be very thick but it went on very nicely and the color match is great. My favorite CC cream is the Bareminerals Complexion Rescue but so far this one could also become a fave.

By Terry Hyaluronic Hydra Powder. I don’t use translucent powder very often but used this to set my under eye concealer and it is nice. I like that it doesn’t make my eye area look drier. Looking forward to trying this one more to see if I will purchase a full size.

Here's yesterdays samples. 

Dr Brandt 3-d lip plumper tastes exactly like grande lips lip plumper.  I didn't find it burned at all.  I didn't notice any results either. 

Ormorovicza melting cleanser was alright I guess, but didn't remove all my eyemakeup.  Meh.  I used the Mac cleansing oil to get rid of the rest.  Oh and it felt like putting vicks vaporub all over my face.  

Good genes is a goodie as I've previously mentioned. 

Dr Dennis gross daily peel extra strength felt just like the regular ones.  I like them. IMG_5341.JPG

IMG_5485.JPGJosie maran Argan milk is amazing for moisturizing all over after being in the pool:)

Feels very luxurious as an all over moisturizer but it's what I had.

the KS goat milk is super milky which I wasn't expecting and I spilled most of it opening it.  What I did try was very soothing and worked really well to provide a thin but effective moisture barrier.  I like. 

Skinn Iceland eye cream is not doing much for my dark circles.  I feel like sleep would be nice for them though. 

I really like the TCFS lip balm.  I'd buy this:) smells like bubblegum and is very emollient.  Lasts a good while too. 

@heartsmyfaceHey!!!  Question about your JM Argan Milk sample.  When I opened mine it looked like just argan oil.  I was wondering if it went bad or maybe I just didn't shake the packet.  Is it suppose to be a milky color or oil? 😉

It's a milky white colour.  I've had products of hers in the past that separated so that's probably what happened. The Argan infinity oil separated on me.  It was supposed to be an oily cream and I opened the tube one day and the oil poured out all over.  I was kinda put off the brand for a while after that but I do like what her products do for my skin.  

Conversation Stats
Photos17
  • Sephora Samples.jpg
  • IMG_3877.JPG
  • IMG_3878.JPG
  • Empty Samples #1.jpg
  • IMG_3205.JPG
  • IMG_8082.JPG
  • IMG_2417.JPG
  • IMG_3887.JPG
  • IMG_2373.JPG
  • IMG_8241.JPG