Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

March 2017: Sample Challenge

March Challenge is to dig into all your samples and try them out.  Post here what sample/foil pack you used and your thoughts about it.  Would you consider buying the full size?

Sephora Samples.jpg

Re: March 2017: Sample Challenge

Same here!!  I get so excited to order when there are sample bags, or when a new Sephora Favorites kit comes out - then I throw the items in a sample bin that I rarely open.

I do this too! Show me a lipstick card and I'm buying something to get it! The really silly thing.... I don't ever enjoy using lipstick cards, I need a lippie I can put in my purse! 

Loving this challenge! I've gone through a few more over the past couple of days...

Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer - I'm sure everyone here has tried this, but it was my first time. It didn't quite meet my hopes for controlling my ever-present oily nose, but was otherwise wonderful. What do they put in there to make your skin so soft? I'm not sure I'd buy the full-size since it's so expensive and I like a little more redness control for my cheeks, but will definitely grab samples whenever I can.

Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream - BB creams always seem to be so cakey on me, and this one was less so. The color was really nice on me (no grayness) and it had good coverage, but the baby-powder-like perfume was quite strong. It made me want to re-examine BB creams again, but I probably won't buy this one.

E Nature Birch Juice Hydro Sleeping Pack - Loved this. It soaked in really well and made my skin so soft by morning. My sensitive skin didn't even freak out, which is rare. Would definitely purchase full size.

Anonymous Insider

What a great challenge @AMK721! 😀 I'm sure all of us have samples galore! 😉 Here are a few samples that I have tried recently:

PTR Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Cream - Love the texture of this cream. It left my skin hydrated and smooth. Lovely under makeup. Yes, I would consider purchasing the full size. 

Iles Formula Finishing Serum - Great serum! My hair was less frizzy and smooth. My hair looks great even when I air dry and rub a little of this serum in slightly damped hair. I do like the scent as well. It smells great even on the second day. I'm 50-50 on purchasing the full size because it is pricey. I would splurge on this item during the sale though.

Dr. Jart Water Drop Hydrating Moisturizer - I really wanted to like this moisturizer. I thought the concept of the cream turning into water sounded like something I would like. However, I'm not sure whether it's just me but when I rub the cream in my hand, it changes to water so fast before I am able to get half of it on my face. So, I feel like I'm wasting the product on my hands. It also has a medicinal smell that I do not like on my face. Unfortunately, I would not be purchasing the full size.

Hope this helps somebody! 😀

I want to try that dr jart water drop moisturizer more now.  I don't think I have a sample of it but it may be worth going in and asking for one to be made up for me.  So intrigued. 

Anonymous Insider

@heartsmyface Lol! You should definitely ask them to make you a sample. It's a cool concept! That was what gravitated me to try that sample first. It might be just me who can't get the hang of it. 😄 

lol @heartsmyface

I tried using this on my hubbs and had the same problem, it goes onto your hand like a thick cream and then magicaly turns into watery stuff. The problem I was having also was that the cream stuff is so thick and solid that it wants to fall off your hand when you try to mash it together to make it watery. I thought i'd beaten it at the game by trying to rub in into hubbs face while it was still solid, but it 'slips' out from under your hand and tries to get away from you.

The games we play.

Lol, I wonder if it was supposed to be something else they were creating and if it was just some failure that they decided to sell anyway. 

LOL, Im picturing this happening at my house and could see being swatted away.  Too funny!

I used up another Charlotte Tilbury's Magic Night Cream foil (I think it is the last one I have).

Also used up a Charlotte Tilbury Eye Rescue foil (2nd one this year so far and have at least 5 left). It isn't a bad eye cream I just don't know if I would pay the money for it as most of my eye creams are usually about $20-40 not close to $70 CAD. I am glad I have more foils to form a greater opinion of it.

Belief Water Essence: Feels more like a gel serum than my "water" essences. It's like a less tacky version of the Aqua Bomb -- not irritating but also not life changing

> No

GA Luminous Silk: Makes my skin look flawless, but gets greasy pretty fast. The good thing is that the grease doesn't break up the foundation
> Would use up, but isn't worth the price to me

Omorovicza Cleansing Balm: Smells kind of like roasted honey peanuts. Slightly gritty. Leaves my skin feeling moisturized (which usually translates to breakouts ... but not in this case).

> Yes

Ren Wake Wonderful: Started on this foil before the challenge. Cleared up most of my milia!!

> YES.. but first I have a few samples of it 🙂

Tarte Maracuja Oil: Not sure if my foil went bad or if I just really dislike the smell of this oil. Doesn't spread as easily as my Fresh/NUDE oils, so I'll probably use the rest of the foil in my legs.

> No

Jo Malone Blackberry & Bay: Fruity with a slightly deeper punch / warm note... I'm terrible at explaining scents, but I really like it!

> Yes

Eye Creams ... Disclaimer:

Spoiler
I use eye creams only because I have foils and don't know what to do with them otherwise. I'm not too sure how to judge them besides whether or not they aggravate my milia / cause sensitivities.

DHC CoQ10 Eye Cream: Applies smoothly. Is creamy + a littttle on the greasy side.

Skyn Iceland Eye Cream: I put this foil in an empty pot and can't seem to pick it up with my finger "pads". I have to use my nails to scoop it up.. so I don't really reach for it. Thick texture. Doesn't spread that smoothly? But isn't bad. Might stop using this bc of the slight application inconvenience

I think your tarte maracuja oil went bad.:(  Mine is practically scentless.  

IMG_8241.JPG

I don't like the Sephora eye makeup remover.  I rewashed my face with the Mac oil cleanser and got a lot more makeup off with it.  The Sephora one is useless.  While the Mac one works just fine I still enjoy the green she uemura one more.

I like the skin inc pure revival peel though I don't for a second believe that's my skin peeling off.  I do enjoy gommage style 'peels' as they give just enough friction to gently remove what is ready to go and they don't harm my natural skin barrier.  

Clinic moisture surge is just okay.  I have a lot of these so you'll likely see it multiple times.  

I love ole hendriksen products.  The whole line.  The only reason I don't use it regularly is cause I got curios and wanted to try some other products. 

Some days I like Juliette has a gun and some days I don't.  Today I don't. 

I feel like my beauty routine is now how many foils I can use.... I've got at least a half dozen on the go.  Used up one today, bringing me to 12!

CLINIQUE SMART CUSTOM REPAIR SERUM

im horrible at using serums, Im sporadic with everything but the DE Framboise at night. This felt so nice to put on the last few nights though. Soft, moisturizing, and soaked in very nicely.  I'm intrigued and thinking I need to try more serums out. I'm thinking more and more about that MUFE Skin Booster now for something during the day. 

Clinique custom smart serum is so, so good. It's really reasonably priced too compared to some other brands!

I'm not convinced it's the best serum out there, but Clinique's Smart Custom Repair Serum is, in my experience, the best skin product from Clinique.  I don't know that it meets its rather ambitious claims, but it really does condition the skin beautifully.

Day 5- Bio effect EGF serum-The website for this product says you don't need to use a separate night cream with this product since it is so moisturizing and that you only need to use a few drops.I agree it is very moisturizing and spreads really well,it almost seems like an oil as you apply it.I think to see results with it I will have to finish the sample I have since it probably has more effect over the long term.

As I type, I have the Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask on my face. Here are samples I've been using lately.

Ole Henriksen Ultimate Lift Eye Gel and Farmacy Honey Potion mask: they're nice and I'll use up the samples, but not sure if I would buy either one.

Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask: I like this one. I'd say 65% chance I'll buy it, but we'll see after I use the entire sample.

IMG_2373.JPG

I used the Bite Beauty Multistick in Biscotti and I LOVE it.  Color is perfect for my lips.  My lips are dry so I used a clear balm underneath.  I have plenty of lip products so I really don't need more, but I may pick this one up.

Algenist Sublime Optical Illuminating Moisturizer - So this was kind of fun...When I squeezed it onto my fingers it was so pretty - it looked like a highlighter. I saw that it was called illuminating moisturizer but I didn't expect it to be quite so illuminating! I put it on my whole face and it was really glowy, and my cheekbones actually looked like I had (subtle) highlighter on. I had to cover it with sunscreen, but I still felt like my face was a bit more luminous than usual. I think this would be kind of neat to maybe mix with regular moisturizer for a subtle glow in place of BB cream, or maybe using it when you're going out at night and want to be fancy :). I don't think I would buy it (it's $70) but I would certainly use it if I had more samples.

Pinrose Merry Maker - I really like this! I love sweet scents and as soon as I saw that nectarine was one of the notes, I was sold. I would definitely consider buying this for summer.

I finished off two foils today bringing my total to 11.

LANEIGE WATER BANK MOISTURE CREAM

Since I had a possible reaction to the other LANEIGE sample I used this on my legs.

HOURGLASS LIQUID POWDER FOUNDATION MATTIFYING

This was the same foil I used and liked well enough yesterday but in the shade light beige.  I finished all of my make up thinking it was just a touch dark and I could bronze my neck. When I got into the car and checked in the mirror..... well it was more than a tad dark. The other samples in this shade will be put away for summer or someone else. Lighting fail lol!

Conversation Stats
Photos17
  • Sephora Samples.jpg
  • IMG_3877.JPG
  • IMG_3878.JPG
  • Empty Samples #1.jpg
  • IMG_3205.JPG
  • IMG_8082.JPG
  • IMG_2417.JPG
  • IMG_3887.JPG
  • IMG_2373.JPG
  • IMG_8241.JPG