Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Love for Brushes

I'm developing a love for brushes of all kinds.  I bought a few higher end brushes and they are amazing.  They are incredibly soft and my makeup glides on like a dream.  There are so many interesting shapes. I am really interested in creating a beautiful brush collection.  Show your brushes and share any cleaning and storage tips and let us know which ones are your favorites.

Tom Ford Brushes.jpeg

Re: Love for Brushes

I guess this is the one. I was stalking instagram at work and found it.Screenshot_2016-08-25-15-27-27-1-1.png

one more from her ig. sorry I had to crop so much for 2mb file size.

Screenshot_2016-08-25-15-27-56-1-1-1-1.png

Not sure how I feel abt it yet and the pricing.

I was initially considering buying this, but I don't like the red handles/ferrules either. I feel like the Sakura design kind of gets lost in it 😞

I'm not a fan of the ferrules and I don't really care for goat hair as I find it scratchy and have sensitive skin. Hmmm I'll have to look elsewhere I guess for a good set of squirrel brushes that aren't an arm an a leg or at least worth the arm and leg 😄

Where do most of you acquire your brushes? I've seen CD Japan mentioned, but unsure of their website..

@niki172 depending on what I'm buying, I shop at Beautylish, CD Japan, Visage USA or with a personal shopper in Japan.

If I'm buying something I want customized, I go with the personal shopper, otherwise I use the other places I mentioned.

@Mochapj I've purchased WG from beautylish - I've not heard of visage USA - I'll have to check them out thanks 🙂

A personal shopper must be awesome to have!!

No worries!

Visage is another US distributor of Chikuhodo. 😉

Do you have a favorite Japanese brush brand Mocha?

I have a few @niki172

From an aesthetic + practical standpoint, I like a lot of what Chikuhodo does.  I feel like the quality of the brush combined with what they do with handles (this Beautylish collab aside) is very good for the cost.

That said, I've recently purchased some Kyureido brushes that I really like.  They are the brush house that makes brushes for Suqqu as well and they compare in feel and quality of materials to the Suqqu brushes I already owned, but without the higher Suqqu price tag.

Kihitsu/Koyudo make really nice brushes too, but can get pretty pricy.  

@Mochapj Chikuhodo is the maker of Suqqu, it says so on their site too. I am not sure if Kyureido makes their own brushes to dupe Suqqu's brushes or have someone else make them.

@lysbainch I'm not sure of the validity of this in spoiler as it's from reddit, but it is in line with what my contact who buys brushes for me in Japan has also told me:

Spoiler

九嶺堂 - Kyureido

Founded in 1964, Kyureido is a smaller Kumano fude company who is most known for their fine kalla cheek brush. Most recently, we have discovered through /u/212kiki that they actually produce a majority of Suqqu's brushes when she went to visit them in Kumano.

@mochapj Thanks for the info. on a side note, can I ask your opinion on kyureido cheek brush vs suqqu brush? I wanted to get suqqu after seeing Lisa Elridge posts abt it. but if kyureido is comparable at that price point I will get that instead for now. if you think suqqu is a bit better can u tell me the difference pls? Thank you 🙂

@dioradict there is no question the Suqqu cheek is a fine brush. I have enjoyed it a great deal since I picked it up in London last month.  I own a fair number of blush brushes, but there is something different about the shape of the Suqqu compared to nearly every other brush I own, it is almost an elongated teardrop. When I first saw it in person I thought it would be more fitting for highlighting.

I'd been debating getting a second Suqqu cheek, but I bought Kyureido based on discussions I had with my Japanese contact re: the overlap between it and Suqqu.

Here is a comparison shot:

image.jpeg

I have only had the Kyureido for a week, so I haven't played with it a ton yet, but the similarities are there. The Suqqu has been washed (and had been used before this photo) and thus the head splays a little, but it was the same flattened shape as the Kyureido when I first purchased it. The Suqqu hair seems a slight bit longer (2-3mm) but that is negligible.

once I wash the Kyureido I'll be able to compare them better, but by touch the hair does feel to be very similar  quality.  And as you can see, visually they are remarkably similar, too.

@Mochapj - Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. I am leaning towards suqqu but I want to try Kyureido first to see how I feel about grey squirrel hair. Please update once you wash the Kyureido, thanks again 🙂

Thanks @Mochapj I figured you had a lot of brushes 😎

I'll have to check those suqqu brushes out!

I only have one Chikuhodo brush, and it's from Beautylish.

I just saw this in IG. Beautylish replied about the hair type as:

beautylish @makeupbrush_lover Saikoho for 3 and Sokoho for the blending brush! 

Why woukd they not make the eye brush saikoho? Oh well, I will probably get it anyway. 

It really depends on the grade of the hair on if I will buy these. If they are sokoho goat hair, like the 2014 Neige set, then I will pass. It is not soft enough for my liking. If it is saikoho like the Takumi series then I will definitely think about it. I just really hope whatever youtubers get this set early and make videos (you know some will and good for them) really know about brushes and don't just compare them to WG brushes. 

Thanks for posting.  I love red and I like the set from last year, so I'm probably going to order these too.

Update from colourpopcult ig. Price is $245 &the are all Full size brushes.

Thx @dioraddict! I wonder why the price is higher if they are goat hair. They do look liked a copy of Takumi series which I love. Still not love the price and the red 😉 lol

testing