Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Love for Brushes

I'm developing a love for brushes of all kinds.  I bought a few higher end brushes and they are amazing.  They are incredibly soft and my makeup glides on like a dream.  There are so many interesting shapes. I am really interested in creating a beautiful brush collection.  Show your brushes and share any cleaning and storage tips and let us know which ones are your favorites.

Tom Ford Brushes.jpeg

Re: Love for Brushes

I love my Wayne Goss #14 for any kind of setting/finishing powders. It is airy, but has the right kind of density and shape for any part of the face. Unfortunately, it has been out of stock for a while now 😞

His #3 eye brush, is fluffy but a bit dense. 

Before I found #14, I was using the Real Techniques setting brush and that one seems to match your description - flatter, not too flat, and a pointed tip.

ETA - i have the Chikuhodu RC 2 on my wishlist, I wonder if that would work as a setting brush as well. I suspect it would be a bit too dense.

TY @PavYellow. That WG #14 does look super nice for setting concealer powder. It's too bad it's been OOS so long. 

I'm wondering if there's a similar shape from Hakuhodo or even Sigma or another brand. Even the new Sephora Pro Featherweight Blending brush would maybe work, assuming the bristles are soft enough.Ugh! Hate the research!

@DiVWA Apparently Beautylish is supposed to be restocking WG #14 on on Wednesday morning (along with #15 and the release of his new brush).

Haha! I feel ya! I've been on a hunt of the perfect, softest blush brush - it turned out to be extremely dangerous for my wallet. 

(User has opted out of the BeautyTalk community.)

@purly, I'm very much into wearing cream-based face products lately and I find that applying the product with fingers and then blending in with synthetic brushes works the best.

There are many more options available that are affordable and work splendidly in blending. I look at the softness of the bristles, as well as density, firmness and bounce-back in blending, and shape (flat or pointed tip or rounded). I also look at whether that particular brush is marketed for use of cream products--many can be eliminated because they're for powders (although using them anyway works many times).

My favorite right now for blending in cream blush products is IT for Ulta slanted brush #227. For more pigmented blushes (or if I got too heavy handed or need buffing out), I use IT for Ulta Velvet Luxe #315.The latter one (or UD Optical Blurring brush) works in buffing out the edges of cream contours too. 

I don't use cream highlight but if I did, I'd want a smaller headed brush so would reach for either my IT for Ulta Blurring Concealer brush #103 or Hakuhodo J511 Angled Highlighter Brush.

Anyone thinking to get new Wayne goss brush, which releasing in a day or two? what are your thoughts? I'm thinking to get it.

By the way I want to invest in Chikuhodo brushes? what are the best ones to Invest? I have many synthetic brushes, and wayne goss almost all brushes except few. So i'm looking for suggestions

im thinking about it. I was going to get a b/u of the #2 at some point bc i love it so much, but depending on the $ i might get the new one for h/l

Thats exactly my opinion, I want to get #2 one more brush, as I use it a lot, then I saw new brush, so I decided to go with new brush

@sravanthi trendmood posted that it will be $35? idk where the info came from tho, i didnt see beautylish post about it but if thats true il def be getting it. and its the exact amount for free snh lol

yea if its around the same price then id like to try the new one before obtaining b/u

I watched his video and I liked how he was able to apply product with precision and use the same brush to blend out product. I don't have defined features so this interests me.  I own some WG brushes already and like what I have.

I really like my Chikuhodo eye brushes (mine are squirrel hair) and my Takumi series (goat hair) brushes. The MK-1 & MK-2 (squirrel hair) are beautiful and apply loose powder like a dream.  The yen has gotten stronger against the USD so it's on the pricey side, but I'm glad that I made the investment. 

Like DiVWA said, I don't wash my natural hair brushes very often, I wipe them on a microfiber cloth between uses.  This was hard at first because I wash my synthetics and Elf brushes after every use. 

I don't have the extensive and impressive collection of some other people who've posted photos here, but here are my thoughts about the Chikuhodo grey squirrel hair brushes (Z series).

From what I read in researching, the grey squirrel hair shouldn't be washed that often (just wipe off with clean cloth after using) and work better on loose powders or on pressed powders that aren't compacted that much. Because of this, I didn't get any for eye shadows as I have some with shimmer in them and I find shimmer harder to wipe off of bristles (I find I need to wash the bristles to get off the shimmer).

I do have several: Z-3 that I use for buffing and blending out edges; Z-8 that I use for pigmented blushes that I want more diffused; Z-1 that I use for powders like Meteorites; Z-2 for highlights (I like the pointed end); Z-4 that I use for sheer cheek blushes. All seem to work well for the purposes described. Perhaps look at the nature of your blushes and the shapes/sizes of what you already own to narrow down your purchase plan. If I had to choose I think the Z-8 and Z-4 are the most useful; I rarely use the Z-3 since there are many other brushes that work better for buffing/blending and I rarely use the Z-2 since I have other brushes for highlights that I prefer.

Thank u I will look into Z series, and compare them with wayne and decide.

Questions for anyone who owns this brush:

Chikuhodo Z-5 Eyeshadow Brush: How is it compared to vs MAC 217 or Tom Ford or Hakuhodo J5523

it seems a bit larger, is it any softer than Hakuhodo's J552 (which I think is the softest out of the three), or if you own the Tom Ford Eyeshadow Brush, do you think if the softness is comparable?

@Sonny4President I own the Z5, but not the others you mentioned and it is quite large. 

Definitely a lot larger than I'd expect for a shadow brush.  I can try and snap a single photo with something for scale.

bless

@Sonny4President I tried to add things that you might be familiar with for scale.  

From left, we have a Naked2 dual ended brush, the spoolie on the ABH brow brush, Z5, a quarter above, TF Cream Foundation brush, and chapstick 😉

image.jpeg

For @Sonny4President

Adding on to @Mochapj

image.jpeg

Spoiler
image.jpeg

I do not own the Hakuhodo J5523 but I do have the Z-5, the Mac 117 and the TF eyeshadow brush. Of the three the Z-5 is the softest. Since the Z-5 is made with grey squirrel and the J5523 is made with goat the Z-5 will most likely be softer than the J5523. The Z-5's brush head is similar in size to the TF eyeshadow brush. The TF brush has a slightly pointed tapered edge whereas the Z-5 has a more rounded tapered edge. I like to use the Mac 117 for blending and applying shadow in the crease. The Z-5 and the TF brush are great for laying down color. Both are good for blending but between the two I will reach for the Z-5 more often if I am looking to blend. 

I have the Hakuhodo J5523 and Tom ford brush.Also the wayne  goss eye set.let me know if you want a picture @Sonny4President 🙂

Do you have the Z-5? I noticed although the Hakuhodo J5523 is REALLY soft, it's doesn't feel dense enough to do really nice blending - that's the only trade off. @dioradict or @Cahlee do you find the Z-5 brush to be dense as the Tom Ford one?

5 Replies
testing