YouAreAlways

Just a thought.. Please no hate!

[ Edited ]

kittycarlisle

Re: Just a thought.. Please no hate!

I think this is one of those things that sounds good in theory but wouldn't work well in real life. There's just too much that could go wrong or make people uncomfortable or angry. The not appreciated by the shelter part makes me very uncomfortable as well because in those sort of situations a nice item would make such a difference. 

tashalicious

what is TSB?

Yullz

Traveling Sephora Box.  It something that everyone comes to, in group. Start the box from the leader, that put either new or slightly used items, and sends it to the next person and onward. Normally at the end, it gets donated.

ghkim

traveling sephora box. you will also see 'rtsb' which is rouge traveling sephora box. now there are canadian tsbs, drugstore tsbs, hall of fame tsb's, etc. i used to ignore all tsb posts because i didn't think i would be participating. but once i joined one, i was hooked - can't stop signing up! the box starter puts together a box full of stuff she has and does not want, but is too good to throw out. items can be fullsized, deluxe sized, or sample sizes. they can be new or lightly used and sanitized. she sends to the first person on the list, they take what they want and add items of equal or greater value, then sends to the next person, etc. at the end, the box usually goes back to the tsb starter and she takes what she wants and then donates the rest of the items to a charity.

Plantgarden

(0) Hearts

Love that idea!!!

mychoi

I think if the box leader really wants to do it, it should be done at their discretion. The person who then donated a big ticket item should also be able to decide if the item is auctioned or donated. however, after reading more and more with more thought, it's a bit complicated. IMHO, it's too complicated and this idea should be laid to rest. 

DTalksAll

As a box organizer, I would not want to deal with the stress of this. I guess the organizer could keep some of the better items to add to a new box &/or start another. I've seen a lot of trades go bad & would not want to deal with the stress of making sure the person got the items, paid for it, are happy with it, taking the pictures of it & describing it's condition... Just seems like a lot of work for the organizer. 

mafan

I agree completely, which is why I think that it really is something the box organizer has to decide.  I think it's very much something that each organizer takes on -- the risk of getting a lot of lower end, used items (sorry about that) or a number of great things that she might want or decide were worth adding to a new box if the charity wouldn't take advantage of them.  It becomes a matter of trust and once you take things out and put things in, what happens to the box is really mainly the concern of the organizer.

mychoi

I think i would eventually just lie down on the floor and stop functioning :smileytongue:

mafan

I agree, brainstorming is always useful. You might have 20 ideas that don't work when you go through them and then come up with something brilliant. 

My personal opinions:

1) It really should be up to the box organizer. They know their charity best and what they will/won't accept. The place that I have donated to loves all the small things for the people who come through and then has a shop where they sell larger things to make money for the shelter. 

2) I don't have any problem with an organizer keeping things from the box as they choose. They put a lot in and certainly should have a right to take things back out again. It's nice to have things go to charity in the end if that's what someone chooses, but if you send the box around with only that intention you get a lot of "useful" things that aren't fun for people toward the end as the boxes fill up with those things. 

3) If it was decided to try to raise money for the charity, I think that the person with the box has to make the call. She is the one who will have to mail things out to people and I think she should collect the money for the charity so that it is all donated together. 

4) If you decide to raise money, payment should be made by check and in the form of two checks. One to the person who has to mail things to cover postage, which is on top of the donation amount. The other made out directly to the charity. This adds to the bidder's cost but the organizer should not be out the cost of postage. And the other checks are only useful to the charity. 

5) There is no reason why left over items should not be saved to start a new box. I would just recommend that nothing be sent around a second time if no one took it the first time, at least not without confirming that someone will take it. Sometimes we all end up with things that we can't easily give away, perhaps because they're specialized or we all have them already. Sometimes you just have to let things go.

P.s.  never discount your $10-20 donation. That can buy a number of pairs of socks or underwear or canned goods that shelters can really use. No donation is too small. 

wingatprsct

You always bring common sense and clarity to any discussion!

missey1973

(0) Hearts

Daisies121 - I like your idea.

missey1973

I guess to me I feel that I had to have some level of trust to join the box. If I am trusting the person at the end to give the box to a shelter, it does not matter to me if it contains make up items, gift cards, or money. I have already put my trust in that person. However,  I am a very trusting person and to be honest, my purse has been stolen out my car..... twice....at church (and I still don't lock my car doors). 

Another thought. maybe at the end of the box, all the products are posted, the ones in the box that people are still interested in are tagged and pulled from the box going to the shelter. The box containing those tagged products could then make another loop. The people that are interest in the products are put back at the top of the list and new people could be added after. I don't know if this would work but maybe each person that had products pulled to go in this new box could sent the box originator  a donation like 5.00 (the amount could be set somehow) and then she could either by additional products to add to the box going to the shelter or donate the money in some form.  I am just brain storming.

daisies121

[ Edited ]

ok how about we do something like when a box is done, the new/sealed items are donated and a second box is started with all the gently used items that shelters can't accept.  maybe box lists can trade off like tsb #2 takes tsb#1's box and then it goes down the line again.  i'm just kind of thinking out loud here.

by the way, i think its always great to propose new ideas and look for better ways to do things.  see how a bunch of us are all brainstorming now?

jojobe

I know you intended well, but I think we should just let this one go....

sparklekai

I don't think its necessarily the best idea...there are too many flaws from the get go.  Not only are ppl gun shy because of all the issues (stolen boxes, bad trades, etc) i think when you add $$ in the mix with, let's be realistic people who are anonymous over the internet, things become a little shady

missey1973

I don't know if this would work but we could use the money to by Sephora giftcards that could be given to the women. Then they could pick out what they wanted. For Christmas we gave each teenage girl a 20.00 gift card to bath and body works. The kids loved it. We wanted them to have the option to get what they wanted. It also gave them the option to buy something for themselves or they could spend how ever they saw fit.

YouAreAlways

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

nikki

So instead of a box of stuff, each place would get like the 10-20 bucks from a sale?

Teresaanne92

I say donate the leftover goods. Reasons being- 

A) The joy that little gestures like that can bring is great. They don't have these luxuries and sometimes that's all you need to brighten your day. How happy do we get when we get that new MAC lipstick or when Hourglass has a new blush out? And we can afford it. These ladies fell on hard times and often they think of themselves last.

B) Yeah, money is great but it's gone so easily, where as products are reusable for a while.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 45 replies
  • 135 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • nikki
    • daisies121
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • killahbabe
    • jojobe