nhunka

Have you been banned from returning items to Sephora?

I have returned 3 items in the past 3 months without receipt. The amount totaled to 45 (at regular sephora) and 30 (at JCP sephora)  so $75 total

Do you guys know what the dollar limit on returns is? 

Does a return at JCP Sephora count towards returns in a regular Sephora? 

I just need to return two more items for which i do not have the receipt. Both were purchased before I got my BI account so there is no way for them to look it up. 

chlotam

Re: Have you been banned from returning items to Sephora?

(0) Hearts

They turn you away

notcreative

I have not read any of the responses yet, so I am sorry if this was already mentioned.  Have you considered joining a TSB or trade?  I have never returned anything with or without a receipt, so I cannot offer any advice there.  Giving/trading though has always worked out nicely for me.

heartsmyface

Yeah, I don't return things unless they arrive destroyed.  I think it may just be habit, but I have no problem sucking it up that I made a mistake In buying something that isn't for me.  The safety net is awesome but I never really use it. 

fatimamummy

(0) Hearts

I usually don't feel comfortable returning an item if I loose the receipt and ended up keeping it... But recently I got allergic reaction from a product immediately after using it and had lost the receipt,,, it strike me why not show them online record of purchase on my phone as it was an online order, and there was no problem at all the SA noted the order # from my phone and processed my exchange and did not ask for ID. (I bought another item of a little higher price than the one I was returning)

grayreb

(0) Hearts

I have made over 3 returns between my free-standing Sephora and my SiJCP  without a problem. One item was a 72 dollar perfume. I generally try to have my purchase history up of the item I am returning to show how much I paid for the item. Plus, if you return an item at SiJCP you get  credit that can only be used at JCP,so I don't think the systems are connected.

kateye7

I used to work at a Sijcp, The way that they track the returns is by your ID number, so if you are returning with a sephora,com invoice they are suppose to not put and ID number in, the rest of the info needed comes right off the invoice. I have encountered at my own Sijcp as well as others of the PCs not knowing how to do it correctly and then the client gets docked for it. Just becareful when returning with a reciept or sephora invoice they do not need your id number to enter

BB541

(0) Hearts

Do you mean they are not supposed to use your Beauty Insider ID number?

Crazy4Sephora1

I had returned several items to the JCP with receipt and they said they couldn't find my receipt in the system and had to enter it as no receipt. This bothers me because it make me look like I bring back items without a receipt which isn't true.

pinkybchitown

(0) Hearts

I was just in there today & this was my third return without a receipt they tried to look it up under my beauty account or whatever they call it  but I never remember that information cause i used mutiple emails so I give them whatever one I think of off the top of my head they said they couldn't find the purchase so they refused to take it back I did the same thing twice before & it was an issue so I don't understand what the big deal was today

linda711

I return quite a bit with a receipt (or packing slip) for sephora.com purchases to my SiJCP.   Although they always ask for my ID and they call it a "return without receipt", there is a code that they enter that overrides the system so that it is not counted as a true non-receipt return by the 3rd party that monitors this.  I was told this by a manager, and I easily made 10 or more of those kind of returns in 2013 without any issue.

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

Interesting I had never heard of this!

HelloCoffee

When I used to work at macy's in the make-up section, they had banned people from returns if they had returned too much (asking for the ID to track returns).  It was a problem in cosmetics because it came out of peoples' commission, but also because some people would use entire products, return the bottles and then re-purchase again from another Macy's.  A girl at Clinique told me one lady had put yellow pudding in the dramatically different moisturizer bottle and another put some Bath and Body-like smelling lotion in another jar.  I remember the whole cosmetics staff had to have a meeting about all kinds of scams, ugh.

I get why stores do this for security reasons, but it's also not fair to honest people who genuinely dislike a product, or want an exchange or who had a bad reaction.  I mean, Sephora isn't cheap and it's not a place to throw money around. It's like shoes….when you try them on in the store they are fine, but when you get home and walk around, that's when they start to hurt lol. Sometimes, a product just doesn't work for you.

ashleynne

I definitely can back up what your saying is true. I worked for Clinique inside Macy's and some of the returns we saw were ridiculous. Unfortunately our cosmetics manager pretty much would let anyone return anything under the sun even if it was ridiculous. There's those people who would buy stuff at gift time just to get the free gift. Then would be pissed when they try to return the items and think they could keep the free gift. The gift is free with a qualifying purchase, once you return your purchase and it's under the qualified amount you need to get the free gift you no longer qualify for it. You can exchange it for something else so you still qualify. So if you don't, you have to bring the gift back with your return of items. If you don't have the gift at the time of the return you will be asked to come back with it before we allow the return. I know this sounds harsh but people take advantage of this big time where its a big problem. Or people try to get multiple gifts because lets say the gift is $25 they bought $50 so they believe they should get two. It says on the poster one per day per client. We would run out of gifts in a couple of days if we allowed people to stock load like that. Gift is supposed to last about two weeks or so, they give us enough bags to meet that demand. I think every client would like the opportunity to get a gift and with these rules in place it helps make sure we can get it to the majority and not run out super early. Of course sometimes we allowed exceptions because some people honestly don't think about the whole qualifying for it, so we would educate them on why we ask for the gift back and they understand afterwards. The people who freak out about it usually are the dishonest ones. 

AlwaysGlamorous

I loved your entire post. Preach it!

I especially loves this nugget of truth: The people who freak out about it usually are the dishonest ones. 

ashleynne

Thanks! :smileyhappy: Gift time was always stressful. I really don't miss that aspect in working in cosmetics. You had the people who would return a jar of moisturizer that upon inspection you realized they emptied the jar and put some cheap body moisturizer instead ("This is how I got the product!" Really.. We're clinique, we're fragrance free. You want to tell me where this coconut smell came from?) We once got someone who put shampoo, yes shampoo in there.. Use the toner up and fill it back up with water (you can tell when you can't smell the alcohol like you should). Buy a foundation and return it in a couple days saying it didn't work out for you (somehow you managed to empty the entire bottle in this time period? You poured it in another bottle to use at home). When I worked for sephora someone tried to return an expensive hair dryer, we looked inside and they put in their old one (something cheap from the drugstore) hoping we would be satisfied enough not to open the box due to the weight. Them hoping they could get a couple hundred back and still keep a really nice hair dryer. Try getting yourself out of that one. This is just another couple of examples. Us consultant knows our products we inspect them when you return them. We open the box, we look inside, we know about what it should weigh if the product is full, we know the smells, the texture. Some guests feel uncomfortable with this, but most of the time we are just checking that the right product you gave us is in the packaging and if we need to damage it out (if you used it) or if it's unused we can put it back on the shelf. We dont immediately jump to conclusions that there is something fishy going on with the return, but if we do think something is out of place we will inspect it further.

JayReed

I used to work for The Buckle and Justice for girls when I was a teen and we constantly had people bring back worn clothes and said they didn't "fit" or didn't "like" all the time! I had one lady at The Buckle come in and return a blouse along with some shoes tags were taken off and everything and said nothing fit her and just wanted a "refund" then her kid says "hey mom! Isn't that the shirt you wore yesterday to your meeting?" So we knew then she probably just picked something up and was planning to return it the whole time. Also girls that would go party in the Miss Me jeans and you could smell the smoke and alcohol all over them and would return them like that all dirty. Made me super annoyed, thankfully Buckle and Justice are pretty good about denying people with unreasonable returns. At Buckle it hurt our commission so we always made sure it was a valid reason. 

I know clothing and makeup are totally different, but still just knowing how bad people are about stuff like that. I save all my receipts I have a whole drawer dating to like 3-4 years ago... I am just a hoarder though. haha

infinitise

Wow I never would have imagined that these kinds of people exist.  That is ridiculous; 

I really hope something gets done about it;; 

Heatoyos1

I was returning an online purchase to Sephora, and the SA at the counter asked for my ID even though I had given her the invoice/receipt. I questioned her because I had never been asked for my ID before for a return, and I had had my receipt. I also remembered posts like this one.

It turns out that she was a newer employee, and she had been trained to handle online returns as returns without receipts. She had to have another SA show her how to do it correctly. She had already taken my ID, so i made sure to clarify that the return had not already been processed as a return without receipt, because I'm paranoid now. 

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

phew jeez!

melisa16

Yea I wonder if they ask for an ID if it is counted against you. The other day I returned an unopened item and had the receipt and she still asked for my ID.

nhunka

That always happens at JCP Sephoras for items with a packing slip. Aparently it doesnt count as a receipt and the return will processed as a non receipt return

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 74 replies
  • 118 hearts
  • 50 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • melisa16
    • seemee22
    • dianabt
    • ladymeag