Katty2323

Got kinda creative with my UD lip samples.

[ Edited ]

We had those foundation samples dominating the sample area for SOOOOO long that when they finally changed them out I went on a crazy ordering spree. I ended up getting 5 of the Urban Decay Revolution lippie samples. I loved them but hate those little packets because they don't reseal & when put in my drawers other things will touch them & make a mess or if left on the counter my hair dryer blows it onto the floor & more disasters happen or it dries out & gets wasted. Basically, what I am saying is I am a giant bad luck charm & if it can go wrong it will for me. Plus 20 little sample thingys is a lot of space to give up for them to be stored.... so I got a bit creative with storing them & thought I'd share with everyone...

I have this weird obsession with depotting my make up & pressing it & had always wanted to try depotting lipstick. Eyeballing it I figured 5 samples of each color would be enough to fill a 26mm pans I had laying around. 5 of each color was the PERFECT fill amount for each pan. I scooped each sample out into the pans & used my flat iron(the spoon & flame method made me feel too much like a drug user soooooo flat iron it was for me!)

IMG_1202[1].JPG

IMG_1204[1].JPG

So, step by step as requested!

I gathered 4 empty 26mm pans(I have a rather large stock on hand from TKB trading) a sponge tip applicator, a paper towel, a q tip and my flat iron.

IMG_1211[1].JPG

Then i pulled the sponge tip off of the applicator so I could use it as a makeshift spatula.

IMG_1212[1].JPG

I then disinfected the area, the empty pans and the applicator with rubbing alcohol and then placed labels on the bottom of the pans with the color names and brand. I find doing so after the product is transfered messy.

IMG_1217[1].JPG

Then i opened my sample and used the applicator to scoop out product and smashed it into the pan.IMG_1196[1].JPG

IMG_1213[1].JPGIMG_1197[1].JPG

once I had all 5 samples in a pan I turned on my flat iron to 325. (Every brand is different, I first tried 250 but after 5min it didn't even start to melt so I bumped it up. Start low, increase if you need to, DO NOT LET IT COME TO A BOIL and I don't reccomend going higher than 400, at 451 degrees paper will ignite.) I placed a paper towel on my flat iron plate and then placed the pan on top and waited for everything to melt evenly.

IMG_1215[1].JPG

Once melted I VERY carefully removed the pan from the flat iron and gentaly dropped it a few times close to my flat surface to push any air bubbles up to the surface.

IMG_1198[1].JPG

within 5 minutes the lipstick was solid and cool and ready to pop into a palette.

IMG_1216[1].JPG

vanillammm

Re: Got kinda creative with my UD lip samples.

(0) Hearts

Yes! Thanks for the idea, or else all of my lipstick samples would have gone to waste! I depotted an eyeshadow duo and melted the lip packets into the empty container. 1 down,1 to go!

lippieUD.jpg

qmgirl

(0) Hearts

I cant give hearts sorry! But this is great. I like that you put two together like that! :smileyhappy:

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I just wanted to bump this and say thanks for the idea. I now have 2 lip palettes and counting. I didn't have that many samples but I'm loving this new set of skills!

starletta8

(0) Hearts

photo.JPG

I love these!

bgirling

(0) Hearts

This is amazing.  Excited to try!

crayzeeRN

(0) Hearts

I'm impressed ladies! Nicely done! I will keep this in mind for samples in the future :smileyhappy:

laurabt

Wow Katty! You are so resourceful! I'm impressed. :smileyhappy: -Laura

misscg

Ok so I took your advice and used your tutorial. I found an old sephora to go palette that I never use from years ago, got rid of the shadows in it, cleaned it up and here it is. I did the urban decay and the Yves Saint Laurant Rouge lip samples and a random broken lipstick I've been digging at, lol. its not the neatest work but I'm proud of my first DIY project. Plus I did the spoon over fire thing (yea it was weird) but it was quick and effective. Thanks again for showing us this awesome tutorial. 

image.jpg

Katty2323

(0) Hearts

nice! I wish I would hit pan on my palettes so that i can reuse them! I have this horrible habit of buying them and then having so many that even daily use doesnt put a dent in the shadows since i'm swapping them out! Those look awesome by the way! I am glad it worked out for you too!

violalea

(0) Hearts

wow amazing! :smileyhappy:

spacesuit

(0) Hearts

Love how this turned out! For some reason lip palettes always look really polished and professional :smileyhappy:

vanillammm

(0) Hearts

this looks amazing! Nice work!

DesertRose0706

(0) Hearts

This is awesome!  Thank you for sharing!

karencat

amazing

rikkie

Brilliant! I was planning on combining all my UD samples as I am a disaster too with little sample bits of stuff everywhere, I might just have to follow your tutorial now, it looks so perfect!

Missie772

That is awesome! Thank you so much for the tutorial!

I loved it when you said, "I don't recommend going higher than 400, at 451 degrees paper will ignite..." I guess you found out from personal experience that at 451 degrees the paper will ignite huh? :smileyvery-happy:

Katty2323

actually i remember it from the ray bradbury book... probably one of the best known science fiction novels out there. :smileyhappy:

warriorwitch

Or she is a Ray Bradbury fan. XD

Katty2323

exacly! :smileyhappy:

mafan

That was my assumption. :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 53 replies
  • 120 hearts
  • 28 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • spoiledbrat
    • misscg
    • mafan
    • kssweetheart