Katty2323

Got kinda creative with my UD lip samples.

[ Edited ]

We had those foundation samples dominating the sample area for SOOOOO long that when they finally changed them out I went on a crazy ordering spree. I ended up getting 5 of the Urban Decay Revolution lippie samples. I loved them but hate those little packets because they don't reseal & when put in my drawers other things will touch them & make a mess or if left on the counter my hair dryer blows it onto the floor & more disasters happen or it dries out & gets wasted. Basically, what I am saying is I am a giant bad luck charm & if it can go wrong it will for me. Plus 20 little sample thingys is a lot of space to give up for them to be stored.... so I got a bit creative with storing them & thought I'd share with everyone...

I have this weird obsession with depotting my make up & pressing it & had always wanted to try depotting lipstick. Eyeballing it I figured 5 samples of each color would be enough to fill a 26mm pans I had laying around. 5 of each color was the PERFECT fill amount for each pan. I scooped each sample out into the pans & used my flat iron(the spoon & flame method made me feel too much like a drug user soooooo flat iron it was for me!)

IMG_1202[1].JPG

IMG_1204[1].JPG

So, step by step as requested!

I gathered 4 empty 26mm pans(I have a rather large stock on hand from TKB trading) a sponge tip applicator, a paper towel, a q tip and my flat iron.

IMG_1211[1].JPG

Then i pulled the sponge tip off of the applicator so I could use it as a makeshift spatula.

IMG_1212[1].JPG

I then disinfected the area, the empty pans and the applicator with rubbing alcohol and then placed labels on the bottom of the pans with the color names and brand. I find doing so after the product is transfered messy.

IMG_1217[1].JPG

Then i opened my sample and used the applicator to scoop out product and smashed it into the pan.IMG_1196[1].JPG

IMG_1213[1].JPGIMG_1197[1].JPG

once I had all 5 samples in a pan I turned on my flat iron to 325. (Every brand is different, I first tried 250 but after 5min it didn't even start to melt so I bumped it up. Start low, increase if you need to, DO NOT LET IT COME TO A BOIL and I don't reccomend going higher than 400, at 451 degrees paper will ignite.) I placed a paper towel on my flat iron plate and then placed the pan on top and waited for everything to melt evenly.

IMG_1215[1].JPG

Once melted I VERY carefully removed the pan from the flat iron and gentaly dropped it a few times close to my flat surface to push any air bubbles up to the surface.

IMG_1198[1].JPG

within 5 minutes the lipstick was solid and cool and ready to pop into a palette.

IMG_1216[1].JPG

jeditrainee

Re: Got kinda creative with my UD lip samples.

Wow, that's pretty cool!

LadyInWhite

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the step by step tutorial; that is really fabulous.

warriorwitch

(0) Hearts

That is such a great idea! I have a few lipsticks that I had to depot (or destick rather) because the packaging broke, but now they are a pain because they are actually in little glass jars (old gel liner jars). I might try this to make them more travel friendly.

spoiledbrat

This is a great trick putting the gloss into a palette! So far I have only used the microwave and small glass jars. Putting the samples in the fridge makes them pop out of the plastic. You can also mix a color that doesn't work for you with something else to tweek it into something you do like.

Also, love that you make your own eye shadow. Way to go!

Thanks for sharing :smileyhappy:

pinklissamel

What a great tutorial !!! So neat I would have never thought to do that and as a result those little packets would have gone to waste, thanks for the idea!!!!
carolang

ouuu fancy!

misscg

This is an awesome idea. I have like 6 of Those samples and haven't tried it yet because I'm disaster prone too lol. Now I just the palette and pans.

Katty2323

i use tkb trading for pans and palettes, but I also use coastal scents for their giant empty palettes... i just end up using nailpolish remover to take their logo off of it first.

vanillammm

you could use the trick where you depot them into any empty multi-day pill case. then you dont need to purchase the palette or pans that you have no other use for.

I think that is what I will do with all of mine. 

prettyinpa

Love your tutorial!  I would have never thought of using a flat iron to melt the lipstick into the pan, I've always gotten lumpy depottings. Now I have to figure out how to keep the pans on my iron as it has curved surfaces (my hair is already stick straight).

Katty2323

(0) Hearts

There is also a spoon and flame method, I just am too clumsy to use it lol.

kssweetheart

BTW, thanks for the website for the pans you used. Have to check that out during the day. Only came on to check any new sale items, samples & promo codes. Never got there, too tired.. So glad I happened upon this. Thanks again.

kssweetheart

katty2323 - You are Amazing!! I would've never thought of anything like this. I'm in the same boat re: those never ending foundation samples (sure some people liked them but they were blucky to me) I was also so relieved to see the UD Lip Samples & have numerous, just like you. I have to find something I could put them in...hmmmm.......

I also need to get my samples more organized. Thought about putting them in baggies and then in file folders, just like my bills. Not sure, have to think on it.

Anyhow, thanks for this. Truly inspiring. :smileyhappy:

Katty2323

(0) Hearts

walmart has clear plastic shoe boxes with lids for around $0.99 each that I use for mine.

vanillammm

all of my repetitive samples are organized into ziploc bags, and then I put all of the ziplocs in a large decorative box.

Makes it easy to find what I want, and looks nice.

Katty2323

I've got a similiar set up with clear plastic shoe boxes I found at walmart. but It def. does not encourage me to use them :smileysad:

SirenPrincess

This is so awesome!

CaliCG

So awesome! Will have to try this. Yours came out perfectly!

brittieeee

(0) Hearts

Oh it's a hair flat iron.  sorry i was confused for a second.

PoesRevy

Very nice. Great idea with the samples:smileyhappy:

This can work for lipsticks that are near the end of the tube as well.

Zpalette is another type empty pans/palette.

CzaCee

you are a genius!!! planning to do this. but i don't know where i can get a pan. lol.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 53 replies
  • 120 hearts
  • 28 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • spoiledbrat
    • misscg
    • mafan
    • kssweetheart
    • crayzeeRN