Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

For the love of all things Guerlain

There is a line that has buried itself in my heart (and my pocketbook), and it is Guerlain.  I know Im not the only one out there.  I thought I would start this thread for the discussion of all things Guerlain, skin care, makeup, perfume, places to get good gwp or good samples.  Experiences people have had, looks people have created with the products.  

For me it all started with a makeover by Guerlain's own Marie Line at my local Neiman Marcus.  She spent an hour with me and I left feeling calm and happy.  

As a mother of 4 year old twins and as a doctor I spend my live rushing through the day, often without enough sleep, more often without enough water, taking care of everyone else.  It shows on my face, in the fatigue in my eyes, in the puffiness and dark circles under them.  While I have been blessed with good skin it can be confused, aging (I bought my guerlain the day prior to my 40th birthday), but still with an oily t zone, and with patchy dry spots on my cheeks likely from the dry air in my medical work environment.  One of the things she said to me was- make it about a ritual for you, and dont leave it until your going to fall asleep.  I walked out with the orchidee imperiele gel cream, eye and lip cream and white/brightenining serum.  It was a birthday gift to myself.  And now every night I sit down for 15 minutes and wash my face and slowly carry through the ritual.  a ritual of energy expended and renewed.  Breathing in the soft smell of the orchids.  Im still using a cleanser and exfoliator from another line given how much I spent, but I have seen substantial change in my face in the 3 weeks since.  

so thats my story, and I would love to share a discussion with other lovers of Guerlain, especially as we eagerly anticipate the 2015 holiday collection.

Guerlain-Holiday-2015-Neiges-Merveilles.jpg

guerlainparis.jpg

Re: For the love of all things Guerlain

I hope Canada gets the meteorites too, but dont want to hold my breath because Sephora didn’t get the holiday ones last year, or any limited edition ones since Canada got their own warehouse 😞 sad.

Do you think the meteorites and bronzing will sale out before the Holiday sale?

I think there's a really good chance that the meteorites will be out of stock before the  holiday sale but its always hard to say.

yeah, i think that's not something i want to gamble with.... lol went to try and find them today in our Neiman marcus and Nordstrom and they haven't gotten any yet... and might not.

(also posted in the "Which limited edition products and collections are must have ..." thread)

My Guerlain Holiday 2016 items arrived yesterday. I am pleased, but slightly underwhelmed. For both items I ordered (perles and rouge g), I can see some arguments to purchase, and have some thoughts regarding how they might not be necessary.

Packaging is a nice dark blue. Nice until it gets opened and recycled Smiley Happy

GH_box.jpg

Products look lovely as a whole. No surprises here, as it is the at-a-glance product designs that have so many of us eager for the Holiday 2016 collection.

GH_prod.jpg

Opening the Meteorites perles, I was surprised to see instead of a nice puff, a piece of rubber whose only purpose is to keep the product from giggling around. I never used the puffs in the other Meteorites perles I own, but, they do feel nice on the hands as I pick them up and move them to the side before applying with a brush. For me, enjoying Meteorites perles is both how nice they look on, and how luxurious they feel while applying. Touching a piece of cheap rubber takes away from the experience, and I will probably just throw it away.

The other thing I noticed with the perles is they appear to have a false bottom to elevate the height of the perles so they appear closer to the top. It's still 25g of product (same as the regular product), so that's good.

GH_pwd_open1.jpgGH_pwd_open2.jpg

As for the Rouge G, the color is pretty and looks like something I would enjoy, but I haven't tried it yet.

GH_lip.jpg

Finally, the Rouge G packaging is nice, but not as exciting as I hoped. The blue gem is just a cheap plastic one that is glued on to the basic lipstick package base. It it was glass, it would have a nice shine as the light catches it. Not so much with this one.

RG_gem.jpg

My final thoughts on both of these are mixed, but netting to the positive. The packaging of the Meteorites is beautiful, and I suspect it will be gorgeous on. While I'm bummed with the cheap rubber filler they put in there, it's not a deal breaker for me. The color of the Rouge G lip is something that I like, so I will keep that as well. My advice to anyone interested in the lip color is to try in store if possible first. If you like the color, get it. If it's not your thing, purchasing for the gem is not reason alone to get it. Just go to a craft store and pick up a plastic gem to glue on to the case of a color you like.

I've personally been pretty turned off by the cheap plastic packaging Guerlain has been doing lately. Have you seen the loose khol powder? When they do luxe packaging though whew they go all out. *eyeing Orchidee Imperiale line

And their 6 color eye shadow palettes. And their meteorites voyage compact. But, those items are more expensive. My guess is they do their marketing to strike the balance of some products being luxurious in packaging and performance, while having lower-cost packaging items that still hit the performance points.

To add some detail, here are the Meteorites perles (L-R):  Holiday 2016, Regular in medium, Holiday 2015

perles.jpg

The Holiday 2016 offering is similar in intensity as the regular medium, with a little more gold and pink. Because the gold balls are smaller, they work their way to the bottom, and the brush mostly picks up the pink & blue. I'm not crazy about this.

Here's me wearing the Meteorites perles on top of Chanel vitalumiere aqua foundation. I'm also wearing the Holiday 2016 Rouge G. I took off my hat for the photo, so please excuse my hair and the hat line across my forehead.

GH_look2.jpg

I like the color of the Holiday 2016 Rouge G. It's a lovely, bright, blue-toned red that is somewhere between a red and a bright pink. It will be lovely on a dark, dreary winter day when I'm feeling lazy but rely on a bright lip to carry my look and lighten my mood.

@SheWhoSkis  They both are very flattering!  I had read on another site's review that she thought the meteorites contained glitter that was obvious even hours later.  Did you find that to be true?  Thank you.

@Ispend2much6, I did not find them to be excessively glittery. I applied them all over my face as a finishing powder with a large fluffy brush. It seemed like the gold balls mostly settled lower, so my brush picked up more of the pink. I suppose that may be different if the gold balls are evenly distributed at the time of picking up product with the brush. 

Thank you.  I like the idea of just not using the gold balls.

@Ispend2much6, I should add that I tend to apply with a light hand (the extra fluffy brush tends to do that). Using a brush that is more dense might pick up & apply more product, including more glitter.  

I'm with you; fluffy brushes are best!

The Rouge G is lovely; you are so beautiful, Skis! 

I also like the pup photobomb 😉 

Thanks, @lachaton! Linus is my velcro dog, sticking nearby at all times. It's tough to get a photo without him sometimes 🙂

Thank you for a balanced review. The lipstick looks lovely on you! I wonder what would be the best way to keep the gold balls afloat. I wouldn't want to shake them up each time i use them. Decanting a small amount into a shallow container maybe?

Thank you. I'm not sure if it is possible to defy physics on the ball size. Shaking it up will just turn them into dust in not time at all. A gentle stir will still wreck them, but take longer to get there. I will revisit how they look come winter once my face might benefit from a pinky glow, but for now, the regular medium is a more balanced look as an all-over powder. The pink leaning is very subtle, but definitely there.

This is why I liked the puff because I felt it provided more padding for the balls and they didn't shatter as easily, as proven many times when I would travel with them. I never actually used the puff on my face.

@volta, yes, exactly. I don't see myself traveling with the Holiday 2016 perles, so I am less bummed about the rubber pad vs. puff tradeoff.

A while back, I saw someone had purchased some empty travel-sized mineral makeup containers, removed the sifter part. They put in their perles, put some cotton pads on top, and secured with the screw lid. Genius perles for travel!

I'm not crazy about the color of the perles either. They seem very dark and sparkly to me. The lipstick is gorgeous on you!!!!

I will probably revisit the perles in the winter when the glow of summer is long gone. I bet it will add a lovely glow as an all-over powder at this point.

I do love this lip color, though. I tend to favor either a very neutral "no makeup" look, or a classic "nothing but a red lip" look. This color is my jam, and I know it will be a winter staple for me.

13 Replies
testing