Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Focus Question: Beauty Insider

Shopping_Girl_BI.jpg

BeautyTalkers! We want to hear from you:

What can Store Employees do to make you feel appreciated and valued as a Beauty Insider while you are shopping in store?

Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Re: Focus Question: Beauty Insider

To be honest I never filled out a survey for sephora unless it was emailed to me after an event. I do fill out surveys for stores like Victorias secret because I know at the end I'll get a coupon or some other incentive. I'm not saying I only care about free stuff but to take the time out to complete a survey just because means I'm pissed and really want to get it out there this store sucks. 

I am wondering, when people make comments on Sephoras Facebook about customer service (good or bad) does that feedback actually make it back to the store?

Hi DesertRose, 

I'm not quite sure about the info on Facebook, although I am almost certain that the marketing department reviews what people write. It's a pretty broad message board when it comes to an in store experience. The surveys at the bottom of the receipts are much more informative and come right back to the stores of which the anonymous client visited. If the client types out responses or feedback the store team will review it (the next day) during wrap ins before each employee's shift that day.

Good to know! Thanks! 🙂

I feel the same.  Samples should be equal to those received online.  I even went to a Beauty Insider event that advertised free skin assessments and samples.  I didn't get either.  I was told I had to make a purchase from that particular line to qualify for the deluxe sample although the advertisement said nothing of this.  If I purchase it, I won't need the sample, will I?  I'm at VIB level, so I'm willing to spend the money if I like it.  They don't acknowledge beauty levels at all.  It makes me sad.

I recently came in to look at self tanners. One older woman who looked as if she is a "greeter" to the store was more than nice, as well as complimented my eyeshadow and asked what kind it was. I told her the Naked 3 palette and she pulled the test palette so I could show her which colors I used. She was very polite and I continued on with my browsing.

After staring at the wall of self-tanners for a solid 15 minutes, not one SA had walked up to me and asked if I need any help... (which I did). Finally, I picked one out that I thought I'd like to try. After walking around in frustration with it in my hand for another ten minutes just looking, I decided to not buy it and just go with a new bronzer for now instead.  At this point I had been in the store at least half a hour with only ONE SA to have any contact with me (which had nothing to do with my visit).

I FINALLY just had to go and ask a SA which bronzer she recommended. I got the answer, "Too Faced".... THAT narrowed it down. I walk over to the Too Faced bronzers, pick out two (Milk chocolate soleil and chocolate soleil) because I wasn't sure of the color to choose. I asked a DIFFERENT SA if he would test them both on me to see what shade I needed. Needless to say, I looked like a dang clown when he was through "contouring". It looked like a stuck my face in dirt.

I asked what brushes he used and he says, "Umm, well they are Sephora brushes. One is a contour and another is a more dense brush for concealer actually." I know all of you know HOW many brushes Sephora has... I stared at those brushes for 10 minutes trying to find which ones he was even talking about. I finally gave up, bought the bronzer (in the lighter shade, not the dark like he used on me), and left. I was so disappointed with my first visit to Sephora.

So, I guess my point is that just more sincere recommendations and desire to help a customer is needed. I felt very belittled at my visit and honestly did not even want to give Sephora the business for that reason. BUT, let's face it.... I love makeup and Sephora so I guess I'll stick to online shopping since going to the store is useless and I can get just as much help online from strangers. In-store coupons would be amazing as well. Might give me a reason to go back to the actual store. 

I've only ever asked a Sephora SA for help 3 times.

The first time was before I discovered BT (I like to refer to this as the "dark ages.") I needed an eyeshadow primer, and asked the SA at JCPSephora which one she would recommend. She had no idea, and asked who I assumed was the manager. I overheard her say "Well, we only have this one in stock, so just give it to her." Nice. Lucky for THEM i was desperate, so I decided to try it. Lucky for ME it happened to be Benefit's Stay Don't Stray, which worked for me for a while until I found something I liked better.

The second time, I was having trouble finding a finishing powder for dry skin. I asked a SA (This time regular Sephora) to help me compare two brands I was looking at, and her response was "Whichever, they're both the same, get the cheaper one if it matters." Well, it did matter, but not in the way she apparently thought. I didn't end up getting either (because, shockingly, swatching a display compact of powder on my wrist wasn't very helpful),  and later on decided to purchase an entirely different brand from Macy's, not Sephora. 

The third time, which I decided would be the last time I would ever bother with a SA, was recently before Christmas. It actually wasn't busy due to inclement weather, despite the time of year, so the store was kind of empty. I was in a little bit of a rush (because I was with my BF who I think would rather gouge his eyes out than spend any considerable amount of time in Sephora with me), and asked an SA where they kept their Guerlain products. She looked at me like I had 6 heads and told me they "didn't have those"!!!! I looked to my right and happened to see the display, so I said "Forget it, they're right there, I see them" and walked away. She looked insulted and whispered something snotty about me to another SA next to her. 

This same time I had just reached Rouge, and should have gotten the mirror (I spent over 50$). The cashier completely ignored me. 

What's the point? If they're not going to be knowledgeable, or even care half of the time, or give any perks whatsoever, there is no use of me spending my time going into a store when I can get better deals online without wasting time traveling. 

I agree with every word you just said.

Better rearward system for VIB Rouge. 

Regarding GWPs, since you come out with weekly Fan Friday Facebook promos that are online only, why not have weekly in-store only GWPs?  That would definitely get me into the store for a purchase if I loved that week's in-store only GWP.

I think if we have "online only" promos and codes, having a GWP "in store only" is only the most logical thing. I also support the idea of brand focus month, where you would get a decent GWP (and I don't mean a deluxe sample) after spending a certain amount on a particular brand.

I would also like if every store had at least one certified, trained and experienced makeup artist on staff, to specialize on makeovers. As Rouges we get to use "free" makeovers, but I never use mine because my store doesn't seem to have a makeup artist (and after seeing other ladies' makeup I don't trust them with my face).

And, it would be just beyond awesome if the stores also had a cosmetologist on staff (or even visiting on some sort of a schedule) to help with skincare in particular. 

Also, and I don't know how often that happens, but my shopping mall has 2 Sephora stores - a free-standing one and one inside JCP (which is a part of the mall). Anways, those two stores located in the same area have pretty much the same brands (of course, the selection of brands in SiJCP is much smaller, but none of them are unique to that store). They both sell UD, Smashbox, MUFE, Benefit, Stila, Clinique, Shiseido, Caudalie, just to name a few. What's the point of that? Wouldn't it be better to make some brands available only in one store, which will free some space at another location for a larger number of brands available? 

My closest store doesn't have any events/classes on the calendar.  I'd like to try out new products or to see techniques demonstrated by knowledgeable staff so that I'd know right then and there if I wanted to purchase.  I can't bring myself to use most of the testers because they are in a sorry state and would rather not have to drive an hour plus to find a store that has events/classes.

I have even had trouble at times getting events to show up! If you want people to attend, and to drive business, you have to let people know something is happening!

Things that would make me more likely to shop at a local Sephora:

1. Helpful SAs, but not to the point where I feel like I'm being judged or watched. I usually just want to look at things and it makes me very uncomfortable to have SAs continually asking me what I'm looking for or watching me like a hawk.

2. Clean the testers! Sometimes I wanna try out the eyeshadows and blushes (but don't want anyone to put anything on my face) but they always look like they've been stabbed and poked and prodded to the point where it seems impossible that they are sanitized.

3. It's been said before, but I'd like to receive samples with my purchases. The few times I've been in Sephora, I've never been offered any samples. I always feel like I've wasted my time when I come out because I haven't gotten anything special/extra that made the trip worthwhile.

4. VIB recognition? I liked some of the ideas the other girls had. I don't want it to feel like regular customers are less important because they don't spend as much money, though. If Rouges get a red bag, maybe VIB can get a gray one?

Otherwise I'd just love better stock. The biggest Sephora I can get to at best has Dior and Marc Jacobs sections, and I'm lucky because I really like Dior, but they don't have a lot else that I couldn't also find at Ulta. 😕

And I am SO behind the gwps.

(Did I post in here before? I suddenly can't remember...)

jxw200 said in another post: "I love space nk's rewards - $5 for every 100 pts or once you get to the rouge equivalent, it is $10 for every 100 pts." Why don't you consider implementing something like that as well? That would make me want to keep spending more at Sephora vs. the competition. And, make me feel more appreciated as a Beauty Insider/VIB/Rouge. 🙂

I know some stores ask you at checkout if anyone helped you with your purchase and they mark the name down. Maybe Sephora should do this to ensure that SAs are actually there helping people and doing their jobs to the highest standard.

This is unrelated but is there a thread anywhere for things we'd like to see on BT? I found a few via search but they were all very old. 

I know people have had varying experiences, but the store where I live is fantastic. Some things that they do well, and I really appreciate:

• Someone always greets me and offers help as soon as I come in.
  • They don't offer too much help. Probably because I'm in there all the time and they know I like to just play around with stuff sometimes.
  • They offer me samples or to apply products for me.
  • They're always great about going to check stock if something I'm looking for isn't on the shelf.
  • A few of the SAs will remember things that I've tried and ask later how it worked out, or will tell me about new products they think I'd like.

If I could have one wish related to shopping in store, it would be for the displays to be updated in a more timely manner. Sometimes new products (like the LE Givenchy Le Rouge lipsticks) won't be put out until a couple weeks after it comes up on the website. If I could have two wishes, it would be for more deluxe samples/promos in store. There are lots of things that I'd rather just buy and have immediately, but if there's a good promo running (like viceswap - that one is great!) I'll order online instead.

Also, I don't know if it's just a market size thing because I live in a smaller city, but it seems like we never have events at my store. Having more would be fun.

This is a great way to improve the in store experience for your customers! A lot that's been said would be really helpful (more samples at checkout, expedited lines for VIBs and Rouges during the holidays). Personally, my only negative experiences shopping in store have been when the sales people are pushing a particular brand and then insist on steering you towards that brand regardless of what you're looking for.  This happened to me with Clinique, and the sales girl told me a product was paraben-free when it was not. I returned it the next day. Something similar has happened 2 more times after that. I know they'd like to get their commission but it shouldn't be at the cost of loyal customers looking for an honest opinion. More samples would also be amazing, since after these experiences, I don't buy a product I haven't sampled. Thanks!!

Some stores have a "bounce back" coupon.  I wish Sephora would hand out a coupon for those who made an in store purchase that allowed them to come back in a few weeks for an in store purchase with a percent off of the entire purchase or one item. Or maybe even feature a "brand of the month" with in store gwp's. Thanks for listening.

Great ideas!!! 🙂

225 Replies
testing