Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Focus Question: Beauty Insider

Shopping_Girl_BI.jpg

BeautyTalkers! We want to hear from you:

What can Store Employees do to make you feel appreciated and valued as a Beauty Insider while you are shopping in store?

Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Re: Focus Question: Beauty Insider

I shop mostly online for the samples and promos, and ease of having things delivered, plus I like to do my research and read reviews. In the event I do go into a store I usually already know what I want, and it is a rare occasion that I bother with an SA, due to past experiences. I typically find them to be condescending and arrogant, and they do not listen. 

Example: I recently went in to purchase Caudalie's Premier Cru The Cream moisturizer and noticed one of their serums. An SA nearby asked if I needed help and I asked, very clearly, if that particular serum should be used with a moisturizer, as I'm not very familiar with serums. The SA launched in this meandering speech about what I should and shouldn't be using and these 3 other products from completely different brands that I should buy and basically start a completely new regimen. That is not what I asked at all and I was completely uninterested. My skin is very particular and I'm never someone who gets "sold" on something because I have my methods to picking a product. Sometimes I think the SAs think that clients are stupid, lost sheep. They really need to listen more closely. 

The consult experience should be a collaborative process between the SA and the client, not a lecture session on the SA's biased/hot list of items. 

Treat me the exact same way whether I come in dressed in my business clothes, in shorts and sandals, or if I have a child with me.  Treat me with respect at all times, even if I'm just coming in to browse.

This is why I go to my local Sephora-in-JCP far more often than I do my closest freestanding Sephora.  While I will say that the customer service at that Sephora has done a complete 180 in the last few months and I almost want to go back there again, it SHOULDN'T have had to to do that 180 because there shouldn't have been attitude problems from the SA in the first place.  

Meanwhile, my Sephora-in-JCP has treated me like royalty from day one, long before I became Rouge.  I don't know if it's a different training program or I'm just lucky with who they hired in my local store, but my Sephora-in-JCP has got it right.

Yes, well put. I have definitely found myself considering whether or not I feel confident enough to walk into a Sephora after a long work day when I feel a bit gross and the polish of my hair and make up has definitely faded. I've noticed a difference in how I'm treated when I'm fresh and made up, and when I'm a bit more run down.

I always shop online for a number of reasons. 

1. There are no in store samples. 

2. Sales associates have flat out told me they don't have time to help me. It's irritating to want to spend money and be treated like you aren't worthy of 5 minutes of someone's time. 

3. Not being listened to. If I ask for something, please listen to all I have to say before you try to lead me to the "hot" itEm & ditch me. There's a chance I own it already (make up junkie problems) or have a reason why I haven't tried it yet. 

I always shop online because it is the only way to get three free samples, contrary to what it says on Sephora's site.  Plus, VIB perks are usually promo codes that can only be redeemed online.  It feels kind of silly because I live literally 5 blocks for a huge free standing Sephora, and I actually go there all the time to try out colors/products, and then go home and order them online.  

Also, I often feel like the sales people at a freestanding Sephora ignore me or talk down to me because I do not usually wear much make up.  However, I'm a VIB from purchasing skincare- just because a customer doesn't looked glammed up doesn't mean they aren't a faithful Sephora customer!

Last, for some reason there often seems to be a disconnect between the stores and online- for example, purchase I make in store never get updated to my BI account, and after asking to have points manually added several times, the mods at Sephora noticed that the girls in store had not ever linked my VIB card to my account!

Me and my mom used to go about once a month and try out the testers and buy a few things. Those were some GREAT memories! We stopped that after seeing articles pop up about how you should not use the testers because they are gross and how much bacteria float around in them. We wondered do the sales associates ever sanitize the testers like they do with the lipsticks at other makeup stores? I always see alcohol there, is doing that before we play enough? We decided to play it cool and just check out things at store for consistency and scent, pigmentation and that is all. no more testing out how a blush will look, or anything like that.

Then there is the idea that you get more when you order.

When at the store during checkout, you see bins and bins of free samples and minis back there behind the registers and on the other side of the counter. When i have asked in the past could I have some samples I got the same response "what did you want to sample?" Why do i have to specify? Isn't it better for me to get some unexpected samples to potentially buy something I would have never planned to without it? If i say a brand, they have asked me what specific item would I like to test and they would make me up a sample which is nice, but i just meant some of those freebies i see RIGHT there! If i forget to add samples to an order the website kindly reminds me to pick 3 freebies. Its such a small silly thing I'm not sure why it's so annoying that I'm typing about it.

So this is my strategy. I love Sephora and probably always will. But it is more satisfying to use the physical store as a tester. I will sniff fragrances and test out formulas of items that have just arrived. Then I check out what promo codes are available and pick 3 free samples while I'm at it and a few days later I have my stress free package of newness.

Agree about hygiene! I know the testers are petri dishes, but when I see a SA stick their finger in a jar of makeup, its like, way to set an example. Of course the customers aren't going to bother if they see the SA doesn't. 

And wipe down the displays. Nothing turns me off a product more than a messy, makeup smeared display. It cheapens the brand.

A lot of samples are wasted if the SA's don't ask what type of products you'd like to try.  When I worked at Sephora, a lot of times, my store only had fragrance samples.  I would tell each client that I was giving them a sample of a fragrance, and many times, they would say that they didn't want them...so why would I waste a sample on someone who was just going to throw it out, rather than giving it to someone who would appreciate it and may actually end up buying it?

that makes sense. i hate that after re reading my post it seems Im a debbie downer (sorry!). If there are only a couple samples available and i was given an option i think that would be better than saying "what do you want to sample?" because that is kind of putting the customer on the spot. I see it from both angles now though. thank you.

I like the idea of being offered an option. If I do not know what you have, how do I know what I may like to try? I understand asking what type of skin or what type of fragrance a customer likes so that the SA can try to give them an appropriate sample, but I think the sampling experience will be most successful if the SA and the customer pick samples together.

We most certainly do sanitize testers in between clients. We also sanitize them at night after the store closes. If you want to try on a lipstick or gloss, it is best to ask a sales associate to sanitize it for you. We basically wipe off the top layer and then spray it with alcohol. Those little applicators/mirror/kleenex stations are called hygiene stations for a reason...of course that doesn't mean that people always use the testers in a sanitary way....

That is a really good thing to know thank you. is this standard for all stores or is it some stores take it upon themselves to do this after the store closes?

Hi beeberz, 

all stores do this and it is part of our training. Closing and opening times give us a chance to not only clean the gondolas (the large fixtures that house the makeup) but also ensure that the testers are clean and not gross. of course we may not get around to each and every tester every single day but hygiene is still very important to us and keeping a clean store is also part of the customer service experience. I'm kind of a germophobe and neat freak at work so I can totally understand your concern! Don't ever be afraid to ask for something to be sanitized, we want you to be comfortable enough to try on our products.  hope this helps! 🙂

Hey guys! Reporting in after my first day of working on the floor at SiJCP and I will report I did offer to make samples for every person I saw! People were so happy to be offered samples, and I felt like the happy sample fairy (o:

Oh! I wish a happy sample fairy lived at every Sephora! Congrats on your new job! 

Ditto, I work at a high volume freestanding Sephora and our vendor samples go out the door in a matter of hours. We are constantly replenishing and we give 2-3 samples a customer....after we run out we have to pre make samples from store products which can take a while.

Clients--- don't be afraid to ask for samples, we are allowed to give out 3 per client. We want you to try new products and give us your input on how they worked. It may take a few minutes to get them together and print our the info slips for them, but it's worth it!

Ok, now we all need to go visit shapeshifter's SiJCP to get our samples... Thanks for your honest report. Maybe this is to encourage SA;s to make samples?? At least your manager was honest about it!  We look forward to the inside scoop. You should really start a thread on here for that, so you can update us all! 

Anonymous Insider

I second that!   Will refreshments be served,....we could take Veronika and her cupcakes!  🙂

Let's make our own event 

ROUGE water for all! 

Hi all, 

I currently work at a freestanding Sephora store and I am very surprised by all the comments about the lack of customer service. The store I work at prides itself on giving out samples because it gives the client a reason to return as well as being as helpful and enthusiastic as possible when helping with a product. When we hand you a receipt there is a survey listed at the bottom where you can voice your opinion about the service you received and in store experience. Use the surveys! That's what we depend on when it comes to the quality of our service. That way, employees who deliver bad customer service are trained better and as a client, you benefit from better trained employees helping you find the right products. 

...Also, we do not get commission....

I just wanted to shed some light and I'm sorry to anyone who has had a bad experience in store.

Oh, and the samples...many times it depends on the vendor but at my store, we are all about samples. We even make little sample baggies to give out at busy times or to people who have been waiting in line too long. It's just a way to say sorry for the hold up but we really appreciate your time and effort in making us your beauty destination!

The last time I tried to fill out a survey from the receipt, the system would not let me because I had already filled one out that week/month. Not helpful!

I appreciate your inside info though. 🙂

225 Replies
testing