Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Focus Question: Beauty Insider

Shopping_Girl_BI.jpg

BeautyTalkers! We want to hear from you:

What can Store Employees do to make you feel appreciated and valued as a Beauty Insider while you are shopping in store?

Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Anonymous Insider

Re: Focus Question: Beauty Insider

I love going to Sephora whether to browse or pick up something. However anytime I go to the Sephoras in NYC the cashiers don't make me feel appreciated of my business. I feel embarrassed but sometimes I ask them if they have any free samples to offer. And they either say no or look at me puzzled and hand me something random. If people shop online and can get 3 free samples every order I think it makes sense to give some free samples along with the purchase as well. Its not like the stores don't have samples. They just don't give them. Other retailiers like MACYS and Bloomingdales always give Gifts With Purchases (GWP) and that makes me feel great about shopping there. 

Also I noticed there is definitly an understaff in employees in some locations bc I find it so hard to find someone to help me out and I wander the whole store and sometimes just leave bc no one is available to help. This isnt all stores. Soho NYC is awesome. Also having sales from time to time would be great....not just those 100 or 500 pt perks. But reduced prices on items or things like that. Or like 20% of one item of choice, etc....

From my personal experience, 

the customer service at Sephora has been pretty bad for a while - SAs weren't attentive in customers asking for suggestions or help, they had a very negative and obvious reactions to returns and exchanges, and just couldn't care less if there were customers in the stores or no. 

but I recently found them to be getting better. 

However, I wish they were more knowledgeable about the products.. in my opinion, they should be experts at almost all products that are in Sephora.. and not just read off of the panels or use "just" personal experiences which they often don't have with high end products. 

and instore deluxe samples would be a major bonus. I feel like I'm missing out on something when I go in store to buy something vs. ordering them online

A store employee could actually offer Rouge members samples, not pre-made, but actual samples without having to ask and be informed about upcoming events. They could also keep a black book of current rouge members that shop the location and send out store specific events in advance or upcoming sales. 

Not all of your SA's do this, but I wish some of them would stop reacting negatively when I have returns - I only have returns because I don't want to go the store where I get judged constantly and don't want to use dirty testers.  By the same token, I don't really want pre-made samples from the dirty testers.  

It's a vicious cycles..

Anonymous Insider

I will again say I'd appreciate actually receiving Rouge status email & surprise GIFTS .

Just jumping in here to agree that giving out samples and making all customers feel good and VIB Rouge customers feel special. The people on the floor were nice (and recognized me) but the person at the register made me feel she was bored more than anything else. I though she reached to get a sample for my bag, but no, I was wrong. At the same time the Estée Lauder rep at Nordstrom was very friendly, gave me more samples than their promo including a little cosmetic bag because she knew I was traveling soon and she knew blue/purple were my colors and we hadn't even talked about that. The SA at SiJCP put 5 samples in my bag (Elizabeth and James Black and White, Exfolicate, a PTR eye cream jar, and a 1oz bottle of Amazing Grace shower gel) and because I'd spent over $35 she offered me a choice of two VIB samples (a Bare Minerals color set and Benefit set) or the Rouge mirror because I'm Rouge. Even Ulta gave me a nice DDR deluxe primer sample. So why can't Sephora stores do something similar? The other places all made me feel more likely to return than this store, and I really do like this store!

For me, I like friendly, helpful, informed sales assistants. Not overbearing but present and available. At my local SiJCP, they are so fabulous I've submitted feedback about the location and was assured that would get relayed to them from corporate. 🙂

Not that I personally care, but I think it's nice to be made a big deal of if you're a VIB or Rouge member. It can be as much as the SA saying something to recognize your status and that you're a valuable customer. "oh look we have a Rouge member in the store with us today!" I bet that would make some people smile. 🙂 Or maybe embarrass others who may be trying to be discreet with their husbands as to how much they spend..... 🙂 Guess it could backfire.

One thing I did notice is that while the cast members seem pretty in touch with products, there is a lack of understanding on cruelty-free brands and possibly sulfate/paraben-free etc. This additional layer of knowledge would be helpful, as I think it's becoming more and more common for people to seek out products to fit their lifestyle choices. (I asked if something was cruelty free and the cast member said she thought everything Sephora carried in the store was, and I know that's not true.)

Just my $.02!

I feel like they can sometimes be dismissive until the checkout process. At which point they see how much money I'm bleeding into Sephora and they get a lot friendlier. 

Offering to create a sample of a product you're interested in. I had no idea they would even do this until I read it somewhere, and its a good way to reduce returns that I know will end up in the garbage (which I actually feel terrible about). 

I will say that I made a return recently without the box, but with the receipt, and the SA didn't even blink. I wasn't sure they would take it without the box, but she was very gracious about it and said "Of course we'll take it back." That sort of thing creates customer loyalty. 

ETA: I just got back from a sephora and all the SAs were really helpful and nice. They really went out of their way to help me. Although I wasn't offered a sample and I totally forgot to ask (didn't even remember until seeing this thread). So to any SAs reading this, it can really vary store to store, and there are tons of great employees, so don't let a complaint thread bother you. 

I wish employees were better about giving samples (across all locations, all employees...as it seems hit or miss). I enjoy shopping in stores a bit more, but more often than not I just order my stuff online because I know I'm guaranteed 3 samples + an extra if I use a promo code. I know we can just ask for samples when we're in the stores, but (a) sometimes it's really busy and it's hard to get the attention of a cast member, (b) often I don't have a particular item in mind that I want to request...I just like trying new things that I might be interested in buying later!

Other than that, I don't really have any complaints about Sephora employees. I think shopping in stores is always a fun experience and most cast members are really nice. Keep it up! 🙂

Here is the thing of the promos. They used to be all in store and very little online until we started complaining that we online shoppers were getting jilted because we couldn't get to a store and while they listend,( sort of) they did not need to cut the store promo's completely. Why cannot there be a good mix of both? DO you think those who use store promos will use online ones too?? Good for business you are making money with both so do both

This is good to know.  I've only recently started shopping with Sephora so didn't know about the shift in promo focus.

We need to be offered samples in the store, at least one.
I have spent over 100 each time I visit and never got anything.

Online is perfect, love online.

Guess I will jump in here to with my opinion. I have a free standing sephora and the last 2 trips in there I have spent well over 150.00 dollars and I have never been offered a sample! This last time I went in to get a color iq done as I wanted to try the UD foundation and the lady told me that I should work on my skin condition first! Really!??!?! How rude!

Victoria Secret often has sales and GWPs that are only available in stores and not online. Maybe Sephora could do the same. For example, flash sales or double point for certain brands for a weekend. There are certain brands that are cheaper to buy directly from their website because it's cheaper, they are always having sales, GWPs and/or the rewards system is better. (Tarte, Stila, L'Occitane, Origins, Smashbox).

From reading a lot of suggestions on here, I feel like everyone wants more samples in store, gwp, and better cs.  I would also like either a coupon when I fill out the survey or $ off next purchase.  Ulta gave me $5 off my next purchase of $15 on my last receipt and I didn't even have to fill out the survey.  At Bath and Body works, there is always a $10 off $30 on my receipt.  I think if those store are making money, then Sephora could loosen up some and give back to loyal customers.

Victoria Secret does this. You fill out the survey online and you get a code for $10 off $50 for your next in-store purchase. A lot of their questions are about customer service. Love the ladies at my local VS! Do not like the security dudes asking if I need help, though...

Ewwww, creepy!

I love my JCP Sephora they always go above & beyond to to help me. The sales associates always suggest great products, they are truly awesome. I would do most of my shopping there but they don't carry everything so I tend to do most of my Sephora shopping online. 

The freestanding sephora  is just terrible! They always ignore me & act like I'm bothering them when I ask questions or ask for a sample.  I avoid that store like the plague.  

Agree about the SiJCP. If they carried all the brands a freestanding Sephora carried, I would exclusively shop there. 

Anonymous Insider

i wish sephora employees were trained to offer 3 samples. most ppl were very nice to me, but some....downright rude! she showed me the little jar area and was like, you can make yourself a sample. i don't mind making my own sample, but...i thought her tone was a bit mean and condescending.

secondly, i know sephora has TONS of online promos, but it'd be nice if the stores had some of them. usually all the great promos are online only. 

1 Reply
testing