Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

Focus Question: Beauty Insider

Shopping_Girl_BI.jpg

BeautyTalkers! We want to hear from you:

What can Store Employees do to make you feel appreciated and valued as a Beauty Insider while you are shopping in store?

Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Re: Focus Question: Beauty Insider

I'm pretty certain I know the Sephora you are talking about.  They're very helpful.  I feel like they have certain cast members designated to each area.  You have your skin care people, hair care people, etc.  Not to mention, I walked in one day recently and a woman working at the door greeted shoppers OFFERING to make samples of products anyone was interested in trying.  My suggestion is to have the same great in store promos as online.  Thanks for asking.

I completely agree about the samples- If I go to a department store beauty counter, they automatically fill a small bag with samples of the latest product, knowing that the best advertisement is a sample. How else are we supposed to try out a new product to see if we like it (or it likes us?)

Actual GWP's with a reasonable price purchase, not having to spend $100 for a deluxe sample that department stores or brand sites give out for free with an order. SA's that smile at me instead of acting like I am causing them huge work by asking for a sample. After all, making samples is part of the job, it's not an imposition. Truthfully, SA's without a lot of attitude would be welcome, if I want attitude, I can go to MAC!

LOL!   I thought I was the only one who thought most MAC workers are rude and arrogant! They really think they are this elite crowd, ugh, especially here in NYC.  

I agree with others: more samples, more product knowledge among the SAs

The MAC SAs are rude over in Alaska too. but the Sephora girls are sweethearts!

I would like to be able to make the samples myself without having to beg someone for them. Maybe we could show a sales associate our VIB card then they could give us a little VIB bag with two or three  of the little emply containers in them, then we could  make our own samples.

I would love this!

Ooh I like the empty container idea! 

They could chat and make small talk. I feel like a lot of the girls ask you need anything? Then walk off.... It would be nice to have a more friendly relationship with them. Right now I feel like they ignore me or push a promo item. It feels like they judge a book, then figure out that book has a red card and poof the attitude changes. 

I would like a SA that I am close to similar to how I am with my Guerlain counters in Neiman Marcus Walnut Creek and Neiman Marcus San Francisco... 

lol, I'm the opposite, I like to be left alone to swatch to my heart's content and check out every single item. I think they started recognize my face the 2nd yr I shop there and now they chat to me about their kids, samples......lol.

You know, this is so true. If someone who knows the product lines chatted to me about makeup or skincare in a Sephora, I would love it. Just some back and forth about whatever the new hot products are, or what's coming up in the spring collections. And that could easily lead to recommendations that I'd happily pick up, assuming the salesperson knows her stuff. ... Especially if I knew I were going to get my samples and promo code goodies. 😉

1. Make it more comfortable to get samples.

2. Make sure your employees are WELL INFORMED ABOUT PROMOS. Since I'm on Beautytalk all the time, I know about all the promos and half the time when I go in store, I have to spell it out to them, including the fine print. I don't work at Sephora, they do. MAKE SURE ALL YOUR EMPLOYEES ARE ON THE SAME PAGE FOR PROMOS. And it would be nice if the employees give us the promo at checkout instead of remaining silent until I mention it and sometimes getting it is like pulling teeth.

3. That's how to make us feel appreciated as BI. If you want to know about how to make us feel appreciated as VIB/Rouge, give us a little something special with no string attached occasionally. I like the Bite VIB Rouge mini lipstick. And while I like the Rouge mirror I did not like the fact you have to buy $50 to get it. It might be weird to get carded every time at a beauty store, but maybe turn one of the makeup station into a booth for VIB/Rouge to get their promos (if any), a little bottle of water, a piece of chocolate etc depending on the season/holiday. A little something, any little thing (ok, maybe not fragrance card) to brighten our day.

^What Beautytester said!

The free samples are something advertised on your website as something you get from online and in store purchase... follow through with what you advertise!

I shouldn't have to school a Sephora SA every time I go to check out about current promotions. During the VIB/Rouge sale I shopped at 4 different Sephoras in 2 states... not once was I given my VIB/Rouge shopping tote. And 3 out of the 4 stores tried to keep my VIB/Rouge coupon that I was entitled to use multiple times during the promotional period.

Oh, and make Rouge worthwhile. I'm already spending $1000+ a year, don't make me spend $50 for a *free mirror. These perks should be no strings attached. We're already spending almost 3 times more than the tier below us, why does every Rouge "perk" come with a minimum purchase?

Hahaha, oh the mirror. The cashier was very friendly and cheerful alright, but this is how our conversation went:

me: "oh, and I've got this $20 off coupon."

her: "ok, let's see.......so, you can use it on your next purchase?"

me: "erm.....I have this coupon right here, and I'm pretty sure I can use it on this purchase."

her: "really? oh ok." *scans it and hands back to me*

me: "oh you can discard it, it's one use only anyways."

her: "oh it is?" *discards the paper and continue to finish checking out

me: "by the way, I'm Rouge and there's a Rouge mirror promo...?"

her: "a mirror? no....I know you get a mirror with your VIB welcome kit"

me: "no no, not that one, a mirror that says VIB Rouge on it, and it's round."

her: "Oh, no I don't think we have that..."

me: "Can you check just in case?"

her: *glanced randomly at the counters/bins" "no, we might have run out."

me: "erm, today is the start of the promo and it's 11am right now, I don't think you guys would run out...."

*this is taking a while so the manager came over to see what is up*

manager: *to the cashier* "does she needs something?"

her: "oh, she was talking about a mirror for Rouge? I don't think we have it."

manager: "oh that, yes we do, it's right here." *points at the bin under the counter right in front of her*

her: "oh! I didn't even see that! Didn't know that's what they are for." *scans all my stuff and finishes the check out process*

Was that kind of long to read? guess what, it took longer than that when it happened. It should have taken 2 second to scan the promo and throw the mirror in my bag, but instead I have to s.p.e.l.l. it out for her. And if you think that's an anomaly, Sephora, it is not, about 30-50% of the time when I ask about a promo, that's how it went. I don't want to talk badly about her/cashier since she's the ONLY one who was generous with the sample without me half begging for it, but when the staff are as clueless as they are friendly, it's frustrating.

That sounds awful!  

that sounds pretty annoying. i don't know if I would have had the patience to go through all the steps with her...

That was almost identical to my experience with the Rouge mirror and the $20 off coupon! I ended up walking out without the mirror. I have the time to explain to the cashier how things work, I simply don't have the inclination. It's beyond frustrating. 😞

Thanks for asking! I totally agree with some of the other posters - getting that cashback and promos is one of the main reasons I don't shop in store as much. Very rarely have I gotten samples at checkout, and it would be nice to not have to ask for them.

i think anticipating a customer's needs is key to having a really stellar experience and getting a samples is just a great way to wow a customer. 

I do shop in store frequently to swatch things, or if I get bored on lunch break or something. But generally I don't buy in store unless it is a hard to find item, I have store credit, or desperately need it now. (which at this point, what makeup could I possibly need desperately?) I do feel bad not giving my local stores business though lol. Plus a lot of stuff is online only so that doesn't help either 

I receive a flyer in the mail for free samples at my local JCP Sephora every once in awhile but they are usually out. 😕

Oh that's good! I feel like i've gotten those before but they're always bareminerals or i don't look at the mail until it is too late lol. (all the sephora promo mail is still sent to my parents address lol)

I agree that we should be offered similar promos for shopping in store.  I thought having a new SiJCP near me would make me shop in store more but I really don't unless I want to try something new and would like to see it or swatch it in person. The promos are too good to pass up sometimes, especially when you offer deluxe samples.

Some suggestions:

1. Greet customers and find out if they are a BI, VIB, or a Rouge.

2. Offer samples during the greeting process - you can safely assume every Sephora girl has a product or two they are curious about.

3. Pamper your Rouge's! Offer us extra or deluxe samples. Give us intel on upcoming in store events.

4. Introduce yourself, and use our first name in conversation.

5 Replies
testing